Have $700k under your mattress?

AustinSN

Established Member
Beer Money Bros.
I wish someone would just make a smaller, two door sports car that isn't looking to set world land speed records. I'd much rather drive the '58 everyday (modernized though) than the C7.

I was actually thinking about this and I'm sort of bummed that no one does it. There are a lot of companies out there with the money and ability to make drastic changes in their low production number cars.

I'd be over the moon with a small, lightweight car that had a small (sub 3L), NA V12 (or V10 or V8) that turns tons of RPM and only made like 350-400hp. Make something that's a ton of fun to drive and has a power to weight ratio similar to a GT350.

Sort of like the idea behind the 4C, or the A110 but with a cooler power train. Offer a manual and enough trunk space that you could put a few things in it. Unfortunately that combo might touch on $100k.

Never_Enough

Established Member
I was actually thinking about this and I'm sort of bummed that no one does it. There are a lot of companies out there with the money and ability to make drastic changes in their low production number cars.

I'd be over the moon with a small, lightweight car that had a small (sub 3L), NA V12 (or V10 or V8) that turns tons of RPM and only made like 350-400hp. Make something that's a ton of fun to drive and has a power to weight ratio similar to a GT350.

Sort of like the idea behind the 4C, or the A110 but with a cooler power train. Offer a manual and enough trunk space that you could put a few things in it. Unfortunately that combo might touch on $100k.
2 of us have already said it. Mazda does. It's called a Miata. If you want a V8 in it, send it to Flyin' Miata.

Recon

Established Member
It's fun driving my friend's 63 Impala SS Vert or 56 Chevy 3100, but every time you have to brake that damn Impala is scary as **** with drum brakes & highway driving? It's floating all over the place. I won't even talk about the gauges being inaccurate. At least the '56 has Dakota digital gauges in it. I still want a 67 Chevelle, but has to be resto mod. No way would I be happy with it all original.

My 65 is all original drum brakes setup (fresh parts) and suspension, it does great in the conditions you mentioned. It’s a big difference driving a large tank like them compared to small nimble cars you’re used to, Miata’s. Plus being decades newer and improvements made over time might effect the experience. As for gauges, I can agree there somewhat. Spent 150 bucks getting my original tech fixed and it worked for about 30 seconds. But listening to the exhaust throughout the rpm range I can tell where the rpms are. Around 3k at 70 in 4th.
I like to mod the new stuff, but classics I want original. Which with only 4 mods done to the 65 it won’t have any more unless something happens to the 327 then I’ll decide what’s going in it. The T/A is an all stock 340-6 and I’m interested in what it’s like when it’s finished this week hopefully.

Pick your poison.

IronSnake

Beers for the boys
Established Member
2 of us have already said it. Mazda does. It's called a Miata. If you want a V8 in it, send it to Flyin' Miata.

As someone that has built many o cars.

No one will build a V8 small RWD sports car like a 58' vette as well an OE will. I don't care if it's a full tilt shop like Flyin' Miata or any big name gig. But that's what I want. An OE small, 2 door, 2 seater V8

Never_Enough

Established Member
My 65 is all original drum brakes setup (fresh parts) and suspension, it does great in the conditions you mentioned. It’s a big difference driving a large tank like them compared to small nimble cars you’re used to, Miata’s. Plus being decades newer and improvements made over time might effect the experience. As for gauges, I can agree there somewhat. Spent 150 bucks getting my original tech fixed and it worked for about 30 seconds. But listening to the exhaust throughout the rpm range I can tell where the rpms are. Around 3k at 70 in 4th.
I like to mod the new stuff, but classics I want original. Which with only 4 mods done to the 65 it won’t have any more unless something happens to the 327 then I’ll decide what’s going in it. The T/A is an all stock 340-6 and I’m interested in what it’s like when it’s finished this week hopefully.

Pick your poison.
I've driven plenty of different cars. Not comparing anything to a Miata. ;) His Impala has the super fast 283 in it lol.
If your idea of "does great" is unsafe, all over the road, etc then ok I guess. We will agree to disagree. Don't get me wrong, it's fun for the few times we take them out, but if they were my only toy, I'd be selling it or putting modern parts on it immediately. The truck drives fine minus the super harsh ride, but those were actual trucks, not the soccer mom trucks of today so it gets a pass on that.

Not sure which we'll take to the fall Wildwood show this year.

Never_Enough

Established Member
As someone that has built many o cars.

No one will build a V8 small RWD sports car like a 58' vette as well an OE will. I don't care if it's a full tilt shop like Flyin' Miata or any big name gig. But that's what I want. An OE small, 2 door, 2 seater V8
I won't compare that Vette to a V8 Miata because it's apples to oranges, but that Vette wouldn't be able to do anything better than the V8 Miata aside from suck gas.

Recon

Established Member
I've driven plenty of different cars. Not comparing anything to a Miata. ;) His Impala has the super fast 283 in it lol.
If your idea of "does great" is unsafe, all over the road, etc then ok I guess. We will agree to disagree. Don't get me wrong, it's fun for the few times we take them out, but if they were my only toy, I'd be selling it or putting modern parts on it immediately. The truck drives fine minus the super harsh ride, but those were actual trucks, not the soccer mom trucks of today so it gets a pass on that.

Not sure which we'll take to the fall Wildwood show this year.

My idea of does great is it brakes very well, and isn’t all over the road, etc.

Pick your poison.

Users who are viewing this thread