Has your 32v blown up?

Is your 99/01 Cobra still on its factory motor?

• Still factory motor

Votes: 223 76.1%
  • On its 2nd 32v

Votes: 46 15.7%
  • Blown up more then once

Votes: 24 8.2%

• Total voters

Twistedoffpurp

Established Member
I bought the car 2 years ago with 72k on the clock. I don't know if it has had the motor replaced? But one thing I do know is I'm about to roll 100k and it run's just as hard as the day I got it. If anybody can tell me of a site where I can look up the cars history and find the svt # it would be appreciated.

brkntrxn

Inappropriate Motorsports
Established Member
Twistedoffpurp said:
If anybody can tell me of a site where I can look up the cars history and find the svt # it would be appreciated.

Go to the official SVT site, get their number and call them with your VIN. They can send you a certificate if birth which will have the numbers. You may have to mail them, I don't remember which.

67gta

Established Member
Rod bearing went at 64,000. Now in the process of installing crate motor, however mine went last year so no warranty for me...

II on 6

From another thread:

My '01 has 37,000 km (about 23,000 mi), half highway/half city, oil & filter changed every 3500 km, always synthetic (Amsoil) 5W20 & Motorsport filter at the same time, Ford maintenance at recommended intervals at original SVT dealer, never dragged, abused, or burnouts, always 94 Octane Chevron. Engine is totally stock, not even a K&N. No chip or any kind of reprogramming.

The other night I attempted to start it and Whump! Noise like a muffled backfire. Engine jogged but nothing more. Several repeated attempts to start were just a clunk, no movement. Ditto with jump start attempt. Towed to SVT dealer who advises that the block has a hole in it (thrown rod or ...?) and I need a new engine! WTF??

Is there a known problem with our engines?

Why won't the thread let me vote in the poll?

Last edited:

elyrain

Established Member
geeze, after reading this thread it makes me want to sell my car before something bad happens, lol. 20% of the people who voted are on engine #2, that's not good, but I guess this is a performance forum and not a baby your car forum...

1MeanCobra

99 Cobra
Established Member
im trying to find a new motor for my cobra i threw a rod... i have 89,000 miles... still trying to find a new motor... i guess in 99 the only thing that was forged was the crank... i found out the hard way...

ID3Racing

SVT FTW!
Established Member
Blew mine after a 3rd gear donut session. it started out at 2nd gear, shifted at redline and next thing i know my oil pressure gauge plumied, by the time i slowed the spinnign down and got the car to idle, she was dead.... now i got to replace the #4 & #8 rod bearings, and a new crankshaft. B-E-A-Utiful. it was so worth it too.

long story behind it was cop pulled me over for buring rubber at a Cul-de-sac by work with my boss and his son in the car. cop said wow that was impressive, can you some me something else, so i said hop in, and i got a nice 5mph roll going and slamed the gas and spun her, into the 7th rotation it blew. got outa the car cop was stuned and said what happened, i said the motors done. my boss and son said while your hear can you help us push her back to the shop 2 buildings down. and now she rests till i find time to install my new goodies.

worth not geting a ticket. now the cop comes by to have lunch with us and see allof our cars int he show room, between our gt40's and shelby cobras, i think we might have a potential sales on our hands!

CobraRed01

CornerCarvinCravin
Established Member
ID3Racing said:
Blew mine after a 3rd gear donut session. it started out at 2nd gear, shifted at redline and next thing i know my oil pressure gauge plumied, by the time i slowed the spinnign down and got the car to idle, she was dead.... now i got to replace the #4 & #8 rod bearings, and a new crankshaft. B-E-A-Utiful. it was so worth it too.

long story behind it was cop pulled me over for buring rubber at a Cul-de-sac by work with my boss and his son in the car. cop said wow that was impressive, can you some me something else, so i said hop in, and i got a nice 5mph roll going and slamed the gas and spun her, into the 7th rotation it blew. got outa the car cop was stuned and said what happened, i said the motors done. my boss and son said while your hear can you help us push her back to the shop 2 buildings down. and now she rests till i find time to install my new goodies.

worth not geting a ticket. now the cop comes by to have lunch with us and see allof our cars int he show room, between our gt40's and shelby cobras, i think we might have a potential sales on our hands!

Wow....I guess if you're gonna blow it up...might as well go out in style!!! That's a definite "grandson-on-the-knee story". "You know son, way back before electric cars we had something called a V8. I remember a time when...."

Do you think the excessive G's had anything to do with it?

Ford should endurance test these motors on a centrifuge (only 1/2 kidding)...or give them to a seriously addicted "drifters".

rickymh

Established Member
for All You Newbies With Cobra. All You Gotta Do Is Check Ur Oil Consistantly. I Had My Cobra For 3 Months I Was Getting Ready For The Oil Change. And I Heard A Knock! It Was A ****ed Up Rod. I Took It To The Mechanic. I Didnt Know Shit About Car At The Time. Because The Car Ran Fine But With A Tapping Noise. The Dealer Said. "man U Have No Oil In Your Car!" The Engine Is Gone! Worse Day Over. Anyway I Got A New Engine At 48k From Ford. Still To This Day My New Engine Drinks Oil. I Got Scared After That And Check It 1 A Week.

lovedr79

Established Member
my wifes is on its second, however when i changed the oil i didnt see that the old filter o-ring stuck to the block in turn letting all of the oil blow out and the motor blew sky high

er22bball0302

Established Member
third motor here first one lasted 101k...hit a 2x4 on the highway that ripped off my return oil line( filter relocation kit i had a tub k)as i straddled it and the mobil 1 was gone in a few seconds..motor locked up, insurance covered it and got me a reman motor, it lasted about 1k miles then spunn rod bearing, had a shop replace the rod bearing and the rod, another rod bearing spun on the way home..lkq put the wrong bearings in it to start with...now im on the third motor(brand new)..

no_slow_svt

2 wheeled dork
Established Member
lovedr79 said:
my wifes is on its second, however when i changed the oil i didnt see that the old filter o-ring stuck to the block in turn letting all of the oil blow out and the motor blew sky high

ouch,
thats the hard way of learning to check for leaks when all done.

J

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
When I first bought the car it was about 200 over the 3000 mile limit....think i couldve hurt anything? The car runs fine now, but just wondering if it couldve hurt something.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
say what?

you were 200 over the 3000 mile limit?

If you are referring to oil change, then there is zero chance that you caused any damage.

tito_146

Established Member
Original motor (Tecksid block), 25,xxx on the clock with mods for about 10,xxx. Open tracked the car a few times, auto cross a few times and hit the 1320 a few times.

Orange Stang 04

Electric Green FTW
Established Member
quadcammer said:
say what?

you were 200 over the 3000 mile limit?

If you are referring to oil change, then there is zero chance that you caused any damage.

Yeah sorry about that, shouldve been more clear. The oil was supposed to be changed about 200 or so miles ago when we bought it. I just read some people talking about how not having enough and you could seriously phuck up the engine. This hasnt really been bothering me because the car runs perfect, just something i was curious about.

Users who are viewing this thread