Has your 32v blown up?

Is your 99/01 Cobra still on its factory motor?

• Still factory motor

Votes: 223 76.1%
  • On its 2nd 32v

Votes: 46 15.7%
  • Blown up more then once

Votes: 24 8.2%

• Total voters

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
doesn't matter.

once more

heads hold about 1.5 to 2 quarts. Oil filter and cooler hold about 1.25. block holds about .75 in all the passages. That leaves only 2 quarts in the non baffled pan. When you are driving hard, the oil is constantly sloshing around. If you want to risk uncovering the pickup, be my guest.

motorcitycobra

Established Member
One of those Moroso oil accumulators would be a nice addition but at $175 + a bracket most would rather run the little bit of xtra oil.

IUP99snake

The Shocker
Established Member
I'm on my THIRD MOTOR.

My original one grenaded after 510WHP with a procharger.
My second one (which was a built shortblock) grenaded after less than TEN miles. The shop that installed it, Vello Performance, Indiana, PA, neglected to follow the 4V coolant bleed procedure, and overheated it before I got a chance to drive it.

My third one came out of a junkyard Lincoln aviator because I couldnt afford another nice motor. It's the best running one out of all 3. Runs perfect. After selling all the accessories and wiring my longblock came with, I ofsetted almost the entire cost of the motor.

-Homer

Double"O"

N2S come get some
Established Member
quadcammer said:
heads hold about 1.5 to 2 quarts. Oil filter and cooler hold about 1.25. block holds about .75 in all the passages. That leaves only 2 quarts in the non baffled pan. When you are driving hard, the oil is constantly sloshing around. If you want to risk uncovering the pickup, be my guest.

it's amazing how much oil those heads hold!!!

BTW i run 6.5 quarts in my car, been blown at 9psi for 12k now and still on the original motor

UCBeau

wals9331 said:
w/ or w/o a blower?
with NO BLOWER on the car and it made 301/297 on 2 power mods, JLT nad a mid pipe. i still spun two bearings on the damn thing, and was running 6 qts of mobil 1 5w-20, just like you internet experts said.

jzepp

Established Member
I have a 98 cobra with a few mods.....just exhaust, h-pipe, JLT ram air intake, gears..........it has 70,000..........i only run it hard once or twice a week to redline...........how many miles should i be able to get out of it?

BTW, i put in 6 quarts of 5W30 mobil 1 oil and 1/2 quart in the oil filter every oil change at 3000 miles.......is that a good way to do it? I do notice that i consume about 1.5 quarts of oil in between oil changes...dont have any leaking or smoking and checked the spark plugs.........all or dry.........could this be normal?

todd4566

Man Of Steel
Established Member
jzepp said:
BTW, i put in 6 quarts of 5W30 mobil 1 oil and 1/2 quart in the oil filter every oil change at 3000 miles.......is that a good way to do it? I do notice that i consume about 1.5 quarts of oil in between oil changes...dont have any leaking or smoking and checked the spark plugs.........all or dry.........could this be normal?

Might sound dumb, but do you allow sufficient time to check the dipstick prior to checking the oil level? These motors take a good 1/2hr+ before the dipstick registers correctly. But, depending on your driving style you really might be burning a quart per change. I have lost a quart between changes at intervals even less than 3000 miles (which I rarely hit in 3months).

Anyway, since my last post my motor is still alive! The throwout bearing is a little pissed off though. :smmon:

99SVT3753

5.4L Snake
Established Member
mine went after 84,000 miles and MULTIPLE 7250RPMs :)

so now I went with a cheaper engine replacement with a LOT more torque than the darn 4.6 ever had :)

03 TOPLESSSVT

Established Member
2 years ago a 97 Cobra I had with that 'cold start knock' snapped the #1 rod right in 1/2 destroying the block along with it. 75k on it. Just driving down the interstate 65 mph. Car still started a ran. UGLY!! Parted out the motor on ebay and found a 96 motor for $1000 complete. Ended up making some money less my afternoons labor. It was like a whole new car...so i sold it. :beer:

motorcitycobra

Established Member
Got mine back yesterday. Very happy...only 1wk turnaround. Huntington Ford just won a future customer. New longblock w/ a 12yr/12000 this time and I've found that the slight "tick" I had tried to convince myself was just the normal valvetrain noise really wasn't. That's gone now too.

rebel01

Established Member
Just locked mine up yesterday at the track. I had just passed through the traps and all was well with the gauges, pushed in on the clutch and it died. I tried to let back out on the clutch and almoust found myself pointing the wrong direction. Not real sure what the problem is yet, but the bottom end is locked up tighter than Scrooge's purse strings. About 8,000 miles on the motor running Motorcraft 5w20. At least it's a good excuse to do a forged bottom end now..........

cobrapoison

Established Member
rebel01 said:
Just locked mine up yesterday at the track. I had just passed through the traps and all was well with the gauges, pushed in on the clutch and it died. I tried to let back out on the clutch and almoust found myself pointing the wrong direction. Not real sure what the problem is yet, but the bottom end is locked up tighter than Scrooge's purse strings. About 8,000 miles on the motor running Motorcraft 5w20. At least it's a good excuse to do a forged bottom end now..........

When you get the pan off get some pics of the rod for me if you can. Mine locked up and it had just about 7 qts of Moble1 and about 8k miles since new forged stroker kit. The two most fore and aft set of rods were welded to the crank, the four center ones were just about perfect.

Its running strong again with an all new rotating assembly with a bunch of new parts replaced once again.

ex-PJs snake

That Others May Live
Established Member
Grenade said:
O4 Mach1 15,000 miles no prob. Next year, Procharger! We'll see what happens. I will keep it under 450hp. But if it grenades, I won't complain. the engine was not really designed for over 375.
Just dynotuned my Procharged still stock motor: 451.9 rwhp 411.5 torque. This is virtually the same type dyno numbers that I and the previous owner have had with past dynotunes on this lady.

The Procharger was installed four months after the Cobra was bought in late 1999.
The supercharger has had one seal replacement and rebuild. The original motor, which currently has just over 54,000 miles on it, has not required anything (ie: no rebuild, etc.) but one pulley change and injectors up'd to 42lbs.

In other words, the 99' Cobra stock motor can withstand hp over its 375 hp design and intention and do so for an extended period of time. It has been nearly 7 years...

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread