Has your 32v blown up?

Is your 99/01 Cobra still on its factory motor?

• Still factory motor

Votes: 223 76.1%
  • On its 2nd 32v

Votes: 46 15.7%
  • Blown up more then once

Votes: 24 8.2%

• Total voters

sonic_4.6

Cobra Commander
Established Member
I just found out lastnight that my motor has been replaced. Now after surfing through some threads I noticed that I am not the only one here. Please post up if yours is on its 2nd motor, and why. :beer:

anothersvtguy

Turner of Wrenches
Established Member
1st

1st engine, but I only have 38,000 miles on it so far. I am the second owner of my Cobra. It was bone stock when I got it and some old dude had it before me. It's had synthetic in all it's life. :thumbsup: It's what I use and dude had records of synthetic being used too.

How many miles were on yours when you got it? How many owners?

Last edited:

Electric994V

Established Member
sonic_4.6 said:
After today?? You kidding me! That sucks man

Yep, Just left a dealership who told me: "bring it in the morning we'll have a look at it." About 1/2 mile from the house, I heard a snap and shitload of clanging. Sounded like midgets banging pots and pans in the block. Needless to say I called the service advisor and told him to clear a spot in the garage...
Had the car towed right back.

The good news is I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance...

Last edited:

3B99SVT

Top down makes me smile
Established Member
Still on the first motor here but it's totally stock. I would think that a poor or no tune after some good mods would lead to grenading the motor. Of course there are exceptions.

Redneckbmxer24

Established Member
im not sure if my motor is stock, or not, it still runs strong as can be, no valvetrain noise, or anything, and also has about 86K miles on it, and the guy i bought it from said him, and the guy before it drove it hard, but i didnt ask if the motor was replaced, or not... but now its being rebuilt anyways, and i HOPE its a teksid block :shrug:

cory

99cobrablack

Non-premium'
Established Member
mine launched at 34k, had a loud ticking from 2200 up. They could get the motor to knock loud enough to be heard 3 bays down by messing with the clutch. Pulled the motor, flew svt reps in and the only thing they coould find was too much crankshaft end-play. Got a rebuilt motor, under warantee.

Tyler Manwell

4.6 DOHC
Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
Second motor, it was replaced under warranty in '01 for a spun rod bearing.

same on mine. it has 3000 on the motor and a total of 42xxx on its clock. the really sad thing is that its going to get built soon

Stitch

Established Member
Bottom end is so far ok on mine but the head is bad. Original motor but I"m probably atleast looking at a rebuild soon.

99Cobra#2468

Student of the Cobra
Established Member
44,000 on the clock, stock motor, and have no plans of upgrading / destroying the internals based on current and planned setups (max 125 wet shot N2O that is). Now, if I ever go forced induction, then will spend the $$$ and have it done right. I have no sympathy when people tell me they are on their 2nd or 3rd motor, to me that is foolish! Don't get me wrong, shit happens even with good internals, but more often than not, people blowing motors are running too much power for their stock internals, and then they think its cool to have to replace the motor. Respect your car, treat it right, and it will treat you right as well. Want to run 600 horsepower, then treat the block and internals to the support systems for 600 horsepower. Otherwise, you're just another dumbass who spent $3,000 plus to repair the motor to its stock form when you could have spent those dollars to upgrade the motor for higher performance. Sorry for my little rant!!

UCBeau

stock 56,000 mile motor. its gonna go boom though, i just know it. with my luck, just after i put the blower on.

themadgmkillr

99 Cobra...Yeah Baby..!!
Established Member
I just babied the original over 30k...so we'll se what the future holds, looks like she gets headers next week then a few runs on the dyno for the first time...

JaCobra

Eaton Powered
Established Member
still on stock motor 38k miles...wonder if the same people built all those motors that have blown..:D

Users who are viewing this thread