Has your 32v blown up?

Is your 99/01 Cobra still on its factory motor?

• Still factory motor

Votes: 223 76.1%
  • On its 2nd 32v

Votes: 46 15.7%
  • Blown up more then once

Votes: 24 8.2%

• Total voters

DOHCammer

Established Member
CobraRed01 said:
Actually, it's the rod bearings that are crap.

Yep, found that out the hard way. I've had a GTI 1.8T boosting 21psi for 3 years, and an altima with a hacked up junkyard turbo kit (owned 3 years, boosted for 2 years) and they didn't blow up. Yet my cobra is stock with 49k miles and it spun a rod bearing.

klatt50

Established Member
blown cobra

mine started using oil at 26000 miles.i had a oil track done on it and thought i was using about 6 quarts/3000 miles.i told them but they didnt believe me.so they did a tear down and said something had went down the intake and melted the top of two pistons.it looked like someone had taken a pencil and poked holes in the top of my pistons.so they replaced the block under the warranty.they tried to say that i had did something to it but the only mod to it was the k n filter.anyone have trouble selling their cars with a reman in it???

motorcitycobra

Established Member
er22bball0302 said:
third motor here first one lasted 101k...hit a 2x4 on the highway that ripped off my return oil line( filter relocation kit i had a tub k)as i straddled it and the mobil 1 was gone in a few seconds..motor locked up, insurance covered it and got me a reman motor, it lasted about 1k miles then spunn rod bearing, had a shop replace the rod bearing and the rod, another rod bearing spun on the way home..lkq put the wrong bearings in it to start with...now im on the third motor(brand new)..

Newbies my a$$. I've built more than a couple motors in my life. I know how to keep the oil level in check. Some of these are just plain part failures.

I'm driving a 350z now.

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
CobraRed01 said:
Actually, it's the rod bearings that are crap.

not really. Its the low oil levels that bite people in the ass. The bearings are fine for the stock application. Any bearing will be sensitive to loss of lubrication, especially at high rpms.

Mt Twigbert

Established Member
Stock motor.. 11k on the clock..

I'm guessing the 456 WHP I am pushing will at some point blow my baby up.. Gawd I hope not though.. I spent over $8k to get her to this point and I can't afford another $7-8k to fix her if she goes boom..

DC97Cobra

Established Member
Is there an upgraded oil pump that we can use to make sure their is enough pressure to keep the fluid on the bearings? What about a deeper oil pan?

Quadcammer

4cams aren't better then1
Established Member
just run 6.5 to 7 quarts and it shouldn't be a problem. The oil pump on the cobra is the best one ford has for a stock pump. its almost TOO high volume in that it shoves so much oil into the heads.

'95yellowGT

Established Member
Maybe a stupid ? but how do u find out if its the original motor in the car? I bought my 99 used from a ford dealer with no svt certificate and shortly after i had headers installed on it at ATS and Rick said it looked like an 01 block....so is there like a number i can call or what?

unclecookie

Established Member
My car has the original motor. It is my daily driver and has just under 25,000 miles on it. I have never had any issues with it, but then I don't beat the hell out of it either. I have taken it to redline a few times though. I change the oil every 3000 miles with mobil 1 synthetic, and it never uses any oil between changes.

Users who are viewing this thread