Has anyone driven a 13/14 GT500 with an MGW V.2. and the Barton shifter......

carguy19

Established Member
Hello SVTP

Has anyone on here driven cars with both of these aftermarket shifters? (MGW V.2. and Barton Industries), I realize that its probably not too common that someone would have had both in their cars but I figured it was worth a shot.

What is your opinion and what are your thoughts on each of these after driving one or both?

I am looking to order a shifter pretty soon and I want to make sure I get the best of the 2.

If possible please comment on the 1-2 shift and high RPM shifting and if you were locked out of gear ever after driving the car with the shifters.

Also please comment on the 2-3 shift and how the new shifter effects the car.

WVTrakPak

Established Member
I am still stock, but have been pondering the same. I watched you tube videos on both and the engineering of the MGW is incredible. I have shifeted the Barton in a buddies car and I like it, but think I will get the MGW.

Tob

Salut!
Super Moderator
I am looking to order a shifter pretty soon and I want to make sure I get the best of the 2.

The Barton GT500 shifter is much like the Gen1 MGW shifter except for the fact that George got a patent on the adjustable throw mechanism/linkage at the bottom of the shifter. So if you are even considering a Barton you may as well look for the older MGW shifter. Both were more precise than the factory Ford shifter. Both suffered from the inherent design weakness of the pendulum architecture, as well as imparting shifts that were quicker than what the synchros were designed to handle (or at least the potential to do as such).

The MGW Gen2 shifter abandoned the stock/Barton/MGW Gen1 design and utilized a much more direct acting, linear mechanism. Similar to the design GM uses or used on the Corvette. You are no longer "swinging" the actuation rod (the linkage portion that connects the bottom of the shifter to the transmission) but rather rotating it on a single axis. If you haven't seen it, here's a link to a writeup I did which explains the difference in design.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1074257-MGW-Gen2-A-Closer-Look&highlight

The Gen2 will take your TR6060 experience as far as it can go.

carguy19

Established Member
The Barton GT500 is much like the Gen1 MGW shifter except for the fact that George got a patent on the adjustable throw mechanism/linkage at the bottom of the shifter. So if you are even considering a Barton you may as well look for the older MGW shifter. Both were more precise than the factory Ford shifter. Both suffered from the inherent design weakness of the pendulum architecture, as well as imparting shifts that were quicker than what the synchros were designed to handle (or at least the potential).

The MGW Gen2 shifter abandoned the stock/Barton/MGW Gen1 design and utilized a much more direct acting, linear mechanism. Similar to the design GM uses or used on the Corvette. You are no longer "swinging" the actuation rod (the linkage portion that connects the bottom of the shifter to the transmission) but rather rotating it on a single axis. If you haven't seen it, here's a link to a writeup I did which explains the difference in design.

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?1074257-MGW-Gen2-A-Closer-Look&highlight

The Gen2 will take your TR6060 experience as far as it can go.

Thanks Tob, I saw your writeup already. Thanks for linking me to it.

I am leaning toward the MGW because ive had them in my fox body and terminators in the past, and loved them.

Just wanted to hear some opinions.

Thanks and have a nice weekend.

dale.baker

Established Member
This video inspired me to remove my Barton and tear it apart. I can tell you that the MGW is built much stronger and precise. My Barton has soft durometer rubber in the forks that attach the front of the shifter to the transmission. It moves all over the place when you move it side to side. My vote is the MGW-2 without a doubt. Now, let's see if my buddy Van has some solid bushings to take care of the Barton's issues!

TORQJNKY

I have a Barton installed now and ordered the MGW Gen 2 at Mustang Week. I should have it in a week or so. I should have some comparison data soon. I've never had any issues with my Barton. I actually like the "Flat Stick" option it has as well. Just curious what all the hype is about the MGW Gen 2, so I'm gonna give it a try.

s.hammer

Established Member
I also have a Gen 2 on order, should have it in the car in a couple of weeks, then I can give you some feedback

aksvt

Established Member
My gen 2 has been on order sense 7-16, talked to them today and there still 2 weeks out.

carguy19

Established Member
My gen 2 has been on order sense 7-16, talked to them today and there still 2 weeks out.

This is the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. How a company can advertise how they manufacture everything in their shifter on in house CNC machines and have great quality control, yet they run out of shifters for months at a time.

I called today and the lady on the phone was super nice, but couldn't give me a straight answer on when the shifter would be available and why they were out of stock if they actually made them there in house. Doesn't add up.

I asked to speak to a manager or salesperson and I was told that the only person I could speak to is not available. Sounds like its not a really large or organized operation.

Plus add on top that you can't buy their shifter from anyone else but them.

Sounds like something is fishy with the whole thing to me.

s.hammer

Established Member
I ordered on 7/15, it said the order would ship in about 2 weeks but I fully expected it to be more like 5 weeks, I have a friend at Juggernaut Power that does deal with MGW and he had told me they are about 5 weeks out on shifters. I don't think that they keep items in stock, I believe each item is put into a cue to be built once ordered. Your card is not charged until the item is shipped. It would be nice if they just told us they are 5 weeks out, but as long as it is a quality piece, I am in for the wait.

Ghoust

Will Over Skill
Established Member
I ordered 6.28 and received 7.28. Exactly one month. While I cannot compare to a barton, I have mine installed with the revan racing bushings and it is stiffer than a dog in heat! You know how we are used to wiggle the stick to ensure it is in neutral? You can not do this. Shifting is much more confidence inspiring. I can't wait to try it out on the track.

04whitesvtlight

the beast is almost mine
Established Member
I kinda hate my mgw gen-2 still get 1st to 2nd grind/lock out every once and a while. it's still really stiff and really notchy it's nothing like my old mgw terminator shifter which I loved. My buddie has a Barton in his 13' Shelby and it feels amazing I've been thinking about switching to the Barton but it's such a bitch to change it.

Last edited:

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
This is the most ridiculous thing I ever heard. How a company can advertise how they manufacture everything in their shifter on in house CNC machines and have great quality control, yet they run out of shifters for months at a time.

I called today and the lady on the phone was super nice, but couldn't give me a straight answer on when the shifter would be available and why they were out of stock if they actually made them there in house. Doesn't add up.

I asked to speak to a manager or salesperson and I was told that the only person I could speak to is not available. Sounds like its not a really large or organized operation.

Plus add on top that you can't buy their shifter from anyone else but them.

Sounds like something is fishy with the whole thing to me.

I would like to know who you talked to because unless I was doing an install which I had 2 yesterday I ALWAYS answer the calls for my customers. I own the company, I designed the shifter, I answer all tech questions and I even do the FREE installs....

There is nothing fishy about our operation. We have been making shifters since 1998 and yes we do cnc machine them in house. They sell faster than we can make them as we also make the best mt82 shifter on the market. Usually lead time is about 2-3 weeks but the summer has hit us with very high sales and its about 4-5 weeks ( not months as you state). We also do NOT charge you a dime until we get it made assembled and shipped.

WE manufacture over 5000 shifters a year so we are not a small operation. But we also serve the military, defense and firearms industry.

If you need to talk to me please call 706-793-1770 and ask for George. If I am tied up I WILL return your call that day!!!

George

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
I kinda hate my mgw gen-2 still get 1st to 2nd grind/lock out every once and a while. it's still really stiff and really notchy it's nothing like my old mgw terminator shifter which I loved. My buddie has a Barton in his 13' Shelby and it feels amazing I've been thinking about switching to the Barton but it's such a bitch to change it.

Call me because we are making some taller handles to get a bit more leverage and that should help the notchyness. As far as the Barton feeling amazing in comparison well I am just without words there. To each his own though.

George

aksvt

Established Member
Call me because we are making some taller handles to get a bit more leverage and that should help the notchyness. As far as the Barton feeling amazing in comparison well I am just without words there. To each his own though.

George

George, will the longer handle be coming with the new shifters being built (like the one i have on order) or is this an option?

sono

Established Member
FYI Revan makes some replacement billet bushings for the oem shifter. So if it synced perfectly when shifting why not stick with oem.

MGW

Authorized Vendor
Authorized Vendor
George, will the longer handle be coming with the new shifters being built (like the one i have on order) or is this an option?

it is an option but i have to say 99 percent of these sold have ZERO complaints and these are selling fasrter than we can make them ....

George

aksvt

Established Member
it is an option but i have to say 99 percent of these sold have ZERO complaints and these are selling fasrter than we can make them ....

George

OK, thanks. I guess i will see how i like it first before requesting the longer stick. Hopefully get some driving time in with it installed before putting the car up for the season, Alaska summers are short lol.

Last edited:

TORQJNKY

OK, thanks. I guess i will see how i like it first before requesting the longer stick. Hopefully get some driving time in with it installed before putting the car up for the season, Alaska summers are short lol.

That's what she said! J/k. I'm with you. I've had the Barton Flat stick for a while and like a little higher shift knob. I'll have to see how I like it.

Users who are viewing this thread