Hard to get into reverse.

Crazy Ray

Established Member
Ok, there have been times that it's hard to get into reverse. To a point that I think that I going to break something in the trany. I have put in first and moved forward and then tried it again and still hard to get in gear. Am I looking at replacing the cluch or throw-out bearing. Everything is stock. Any suggestion would be helpful.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Has it always been like this?Sometimes I have to do the same,the gears aren`t lined up in the tranny.

P49Y-CY

fomocomofo
Established Member
my first recommendation would be check the adjustment

if you are on stock quadrant adjuster, see the thread about forcing a click or two

if you are on aftermarket, tighten cable

i had this exact problem and the fix was immediate

best of luck with it

SVT32VDOHC

Established Member
I had this in my 96 Cobra. It was mostly the clutch not fully disengaging, but the other problem was that it needed a reverse synchro. The clutch was 80-90% of the problem though. It gave me issues getting into all other gears too, but those synchros were fine.

Crazy Ray

Established Member
It's 2004 Cobra. I am going to try the suggestion that were given and hope for the best.

cobra101

Established Member
Mine won't go into reverse but my clutch has been near shot for awhile. I will try ot loosen my aftermarket cable just so i can get in to reverse for the next day or two until it's fix. we'll see

Iman01

Established Member
I have this problem sometimes too and adjusting the clutch doesn't always make it go away... what does work every time:
put it in reverse and keep pushing up(not crazy hard, just keep presure), let the clutch out slow, and you will feel the shifter slide the rest of the way in... no more grinding.

Users who are viewing this thread