harbor freight tools

black92

Hot rod Lincoln
Established Member
I have their DA polisher, pneumatic roller chair, airless spray gun (for house painting) and HVLP spray gun kit (built in compressor). I'm lucky enough to have one close to where I live and one close to my work, so I can stroll in and grab whatever I need when I want.

mnewxcv

Established Member
ome thing I remember being shitty was their roofing nails. The wire holding them in the spool was too thick and therefore the gun kept jamming. The gun worked great though once I got some good nails in it!

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
I had a Pittsburg racing jack collapse on me. Damaged the Fiesta badly. This happened while jacking the car up to install the jack stands. Had the car up 4-5 pumps on the jack, leaned over to grab the jack stand and BOOM. Jack blew out, bent the frame and then sent the car crashing down. As the car came crashing down, the jack, in all of its twisted up glory went through the side skirt of the car and dented the lower body underneath. A few clips later and the skirt is reattached but the damage underneath is still there.

Went with a 3 ton steel cased Husky and feel quite comfortable jacking anything up. Ill never buy an aluminum "racing" jack again.

As for the other tools, I have quite a few of the hand tools, sockets, screwdrivers...etc. Most impact stuff is from Snap-On or Matco. Compressor is a Craftsman 150 gallon.

mnewxcv

Established Member
I had a Pittsburg racing jack collapse on me. Damaged the Fiesta badly. This happened while jacking the car up to install the jack stands. Had the car up 4-5 pumps on the jack, leaned over to grab the jack stand and BOOM. Jack blew out, bent the frame and then sent the car crashing down. As the car came crashing down, the jack, in all of its twisted up glory went through the side skirt of the car and dented the lower body underneath. A few clips later and the skirt is reattached but the damage underneath is still there.

Went with a 3 ton steel cased Husky and feel quite comfortable jacking anything up. Ill never buy an aluminum "racing" jack again.

As for the other tools, I have quite a few of the hand tools, sockets, screwdrivers...etc. Most impact stuff is from Snap-On or Matco. Compressor is a Craftsman 150 gallon.
damn, scary story! Was this the 1.5 ton or 3 ton jack?

mnewxcv

Established Member
I have a decent amount of HF tools and overall I've been happy with them. Just got their DA polisher and it works good. Got this light too and I'm really impressed with it. Awesome light for 20 bucks with a coupon. May grab another just because.

390 Lumen Magnetic Slim Bar Folding LED Worklight
I picked up this light:

215 Lumen Pocket Worklight

because they didn't have the item I went for and I had 25% off coupon and the free screwdriver coupon and wasn't leaving without my free screwdriver. for $5, it's great! Magnetic base and fits in the center console. Wayyyy better then those shitty 5 LED lights that come in 3 packs and scatters blue light. For $4 with a coupon and a free item as well, its great. I might get another to keep in my tool bag.

03 DSG Snake

Unknown Cyborg
Established Member
Anyone have a suggstion on a cheap HF air tool to cut some squares out of a sheet of 16ga steel?

SolarYellow

Sensei
Established Member
Premium Member
The Sunday paper had a HF advertisement inside and some of the items are appealing. I know I wouldn't purchase impact sockets, impact wrench, hydraulic jack or other toys that are under a lot of stress and valuable to me. $9.99 for a die grinder? Sure. Other insignificant items? Probably.

mnewxcv

Established Member
The Sunday paper had a HF advertisement inside and some of the items are appealing. I know I wouldn't purchase impact sockets, impact wrench, hydraulic jack or other toys that are under a lot of stress and valuable to me. $9.99 for a die grinder? Sure. Other insignificant items? Probably.

the earthquake air impact is supposed to be great.

kevinatfms

Ex-Ford/Kia/Hyundai Tech
Established Member
Premium Member
damn, scary story! Was this the 1.5 ton or 3 ton jack?
1.5 Ton Pittsburg Aluminum Racing Jack. Took the mangled carcass to a local shop that rebuilds hydraulic equipment and they me it was one of the shoddiest pieces of equipment they have ever seen. Between the welds on the aluminum frame to the seals used to contain the cylinder pressure.

I have photos of the damage i can post when i get home. Almost took my freaking arm off when it came down. My hand was right there and if it had collapsed anymore it would have cut my hand or mid wrist off. Had a heart attack after thinking it punched through the side of the car at first. Luckily it was just a 3" dent that could be easily covered with the old skirt and some new clips. Still irks me today thinking its there.

A few years and ill either A. gut the car and make it a racecar or B. sell it to get a new hot hatchback. Im thinking A since the FiST isnt worth crap in the used market and its easier to take it off insurance and convert it to straight track day fun.

BigPoppa

Hope you enjoy the show
Established Member
HF is hit and miss. After years of shopping there, I've figured out what you can and shouldn't buy there.

But, always comparison shop. HF is not always the best deal. Sometimes you'll find a better deal on Amazon or even at your local Lowe's on their Kobalt brand, etc.

hoamskilet

Established Member
I've got all kinds of random hand tools that got thrown in bags for things like leaving on the boat or in my truck (stuff that I won't use much but it's nice to have there).

Couple of my most used things are a 3 ton steal low pro floor jack, impact sockets, their black goodyear air hoses.....

Corbic

Established Member
Premium Member
I have tons of Harbor Fright garbage. Store is amazing.

Pittsburgh hand tools are great. Nice tear drop ratchets that work better then any of the cheap brands. Functional sockets.

Jack Stands, Engine Lift, Motorcycle Jack, Transmission Jack, 48” Tool Chest, and endless free disposable stuff like microfiber towels.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

dabmajor

Established Member
I have a 2.5 ton jack from there that made a loud pop when I tried to lift my diesel truck with it. Lol. Works great for cars and small trucks though. Had a pipe bender blow up on my too. I think their hand tools are fine for occasional use though, for sure.

Sent from my [device_name] using the svtperformance.com mobile app

DMassey

No Habla Jibber Jabber
Established Member
gosh we've got a bunch of Harbor Freight stuff. Engine hoist, 2 engine stands, jack stands, aluminum race jack, dead blow hammer, regular hammer, miter saw, misc led lights, you name it. My ratchets etc I still use as much Proto, Blue Point, OG Craftsman, etc as possible... but you can't beat HF for run of the mill stuff.

Users who are viewing this thread