Harassing phone calls (PLEASE HELP)

dsrtdukone

Hurts when I pee
Established Member
Not a lot of information to share, but here goes: My daughter (22 years old), two days ago, began receiving phone calls from a restricted number. The "gentleman" calling claimed that she had left her phone number on his car in a Walmart parking lot to let him know that she had hit his car. She assures me that she did no such thing, in fact: she was at work (verifiable through time slips) at the time he claims the car was damaged. He also seems to know details about her that only an aquaintance would know. It sounds like either a prank from a disgruntled coworker, or an insurance scam. I'm only worried because he continues to call and harass her, and she's 5 hours away. I fear that this may escalate to more than just phone calls. The last time he called her, he accidentally failed to block his number, so she now has that. She contacted the local police where she lives/works/goes to school (Ashland, Kentucky), but they have told her there is little they can do (maybe they have more pressing issues to address). Is there anything I can do??? What SHOULD I do??? I only came here for help, because I remember years ago (when I owned my Terminator and frequented the forums) that there were members here who could help track down scammers. Thanks in advance for any ideas/recommendations.

Keith

MysticRob

Established Member
Call the guy yourself, and after he gives you whatever info he has lay into him with the facts if he sounds legit. If she did not cause the damage, it's still possible someone who doesn't like her left her phone # on his car as a ****ed up prank and you might be able to find out who. Either way, I'd want to find out what kind of damage, paint transfer color, and set the dude even more straight, or at least help him out if he's truthful. If he's pranking, then hammer time with threats of police reports, etc to scare him off.

Of course there's always the possibility she's lying, or let someone borrow the car.

Screw-Rice

I like BBC
Established Member
Both of you need to record every single call so you have proof of everything, especially if it escalates to threats. I use call recorder on my phone, it's a solid app, but you have to have it on speaker to capture both sides of the call.

dsrtdukone

Hurts when I pee
Established Member
...already called the number. First time he answered, I asked for "Jim" (the name he gave to my daughter), he hung up. I tried to call back, and now get "disconnected" message. As far as her lying: Yes that is a possibility, but it doesn't add up. She has absolutely nothing to gain by leaving her information and denying it later. If she hits a car, we'll let insurance take care of that. She's a reasonably responsible individual.

oldmodman

Established Member
Contact the Police in her town and give them all the information that you have.

His name, number, number of calls he has made to her, and the content of those calls.

Then phone him and let him know that you have given all his information to the police. This will generally cause a total stop to all his calls.

Most people are so afraid of Police involvement that he will be too worried about himself to bother her anymore.

THEN. Buy her a pistol and have her get a carry permit and training.

derklug

Seriously? No, never.
Established Member
Premium Member
Had a similar problem, I could get the town but no address. Called an old Air Force friend, boom no more Fortolmet Kentucky. Never heard of Fortolmet? Military covers up their mistakes well.

Seriously, record all calls, contact police, stress the importance of staying alert to your daughter.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Find out what you need for a protection order. I wouldn't let her deal with the guy anymore though. He only speaks to you regarding the matter and if you get to talk to him tell him you want to take his and her car to a shop to get estimates for your case records to present in court. If that doesn't deter him and you can get him to a good shop then you can call ahead and explain the issue you're having to a shop because some will be glad to make this guy look stupid for you. I've had a couple cases like yours where both parties came in and one was claiming the other hit them. We'd go out and look at the car that was supposedly hit a week ago and it already has a years worth of rust. It's always fun to call those people out. Estimators can tell what damage comes from what, even telling if it was from a car or some other object and exactly how they hit or were hit. Juat make sure you sound like the sane one in the ordeal.

I would prefer the protection order route because it bars the guy from any sort of contact, but that is not always easy to get. The body shop route is just another suggestion, but regardless I'd get a few buddies together for the intimidation factor if he will meet you (doubt it). Don't have to do anything to him but he will get the hint that you will if it goes any further than it has.

I know everyone is saying record the calls and I agree that it is a good idea, but just check your state laws. In my state it is law that you notify anyone before recording them. I believe Ca is the same. Just a heads up to keep you in the clear.

Last edited:

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
Phone service provider will put a block on a number for a small fee, free sometimes.

It's not uncommon for people to hit someone and write a different number down so anyone looking won't get involved.

I would contact that walmart and request the store manager, explain what is happening, see if an accident was reported whatever day this started and/or if there are parking lot cameras that may have footage.

You will have to post his number if you want info.

Speedboosted

Established Member
Had a similar problem, I could get the town but no address. Called an old Air Force friend, boom no more Fortolmet Kentucky. Never heard of Fortolmet? Military covers up their mistakes well.

Lol, that made me laugh.

I agree about trying to make this loser deal directly with you as much as possible.

wreckit

Established Member
I know its long but its worth the read, I PROMISE!

I kid you not!
I had the exact same phone call about 3 weeks ago. While at work, a phone call came through from a man sounding very excited. He started by saying "this is the guys car you just hit!"
At first, I believed it to be one of my friends playing a little joke from a number i did not know.
Then he started sounding convincing. I assured him I did not hit his car. He then replied back with... "well why did you leave a note with your number?!?!"
I gave in and said "alright, where did i hit your car?" (being sarcastic of course).
He just signed, fumbled over his wording then said " UGH, what insurance do you have?"
I said "ALL OF THEM!!" He did not like that response too much LOL!!
He did said "I cant believe this, imma have to call the police!"
I told him to call the police and have them call me as well!
Then he hung up and never called back again.

My Mother is a head supervisor of a company Insurance/Auto/etc. that receive reports of scams such as this and others as well.

There have been multiple reports of this occurring! Also, some pose as Local police/state troopers asking you to donate to their precinct.
In more serious cases, there have been reports of scammers posing as police officials and claiming you have a warrant for your arrest and must pay "X" amount of dollars to avoid jail time.

Please do not give in to these scams. They are becoming more frequent, especially around the holiday season.

As for your daughter. Actions that could be taken is have her number changed. This may stop the harassment phone calls. For me, seemed the smart ass approach worked in my favor. Maybe next phone call she gets, some sarcastic remarks may help. (If she has an iphone, there is a option you can select under that contact portion to block numbers or people you no linger wish to contact).

Plus, please pass this information to any loved ones around you.
There is one scam that is extremely dangerous and is happening around the U.S like wild fire.
A woman left a store one evening, unlocked her car, and began to start the ignition.
Once the woman looked in her rear-view mirror to back-up, she notice a note on her back window blocking the view. She shifted her car into park and proceeded outside to see what the note was about.
Once she grabbed the note a male attacked the woman, knocked her out unconscious, stole her vehicle and purse...

This is a lighter version of what has been happening. Others have been raped, held at gun point for money, and actually abducted.

Please guys make sure your wife, girlfriend/boyfriend, family members etc.. are aware of the scams and attacks going on now.

If anyone does see a note on their back window. Get in the car. lock the doors and drive off ASAP!!!

Last edited:

Machdup1

Established Member
Contact the Police in her town and give them all the information that you have.

His name, number, number of calls he has made to her, and the content of those calls.

Then phone him and let him know that you have given all his information to the police. This will generally cause a total stop to all his calls.

Most people are so afraid of Police involvement that he will be too worried about himself to bother her anymore.

THEN. Buy her a pistol and have her get a carry permit and training.

This.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I know its long but its worth the read, I PROMISE!

I kid you not!
I had the exact same phone call about 3 weeks ago. While at work, a phone call came through from a man sounding very excited. He started by saying "this is the guys car you just hit!"
At first, I believed it to be one of my friends playing a little joke from a number i did not know.
Then he started sounding convincing. I assured him I did not hit his car. He then replied back with... "well why did you leave a note with your number?!?!"
I gave in and said "alright, where did i hit your car?" (being sarcastic of course).
He just signed, fumbled over his wording then said " UGH, what insurance do you have?"
I said "ALL OF THEM!!" He did not like that response too much LOL!!
He did said "I cant believe this, imma have to call the police!"
I told him to call the police and have them call me as well!
Then he hung up and never called back again.

My Mother is a head supervisor of a company Insurance/Auto/etc. that receive reports of scams such as this and others as well.

There have been multiple reports of this occurring! Also, some pose as Local police/state troopers asking you to donate to their precinct.
In more serious cases, there have been reports of scammers posing as police officials and claiming you have a warrant for your arrest and must pay "X" amount of dollars to avoid jail time.

Please do not give in to these scams. They are becoming more frequent, especially around the holiday season.

As for your daughter. Actions that could be taken is have her number changed. This may stop the harassment phone calls. For me, seemed the smart ass approach worked in my favor. Maybe next phone call she gets, some sarcastic remarks may help. (If she has an iphone, there is a option you can select under that contact portion to block numbers or people you no linger wish to contact).

Plus, please pass this information to any loved ones around you.
There is one scam that is extremely dangerous and is happening around the U.S like wild fire.
A woman left a store one evening, unlocked her car, and began to start the ignition.
Once the woman looked in her rear-view mirror to back-up, she notice a note on her back window blocking the view. She shifted her car into park and proceeded outside to see what the note was about.
Once she grabbed the note a male attacked the woman, knocked her out unconscious, stole her vehicle and purse...

This is a lighter version of what has been happening. Others have been raped, held at gun point for money, and actually abducted.

Please guys make sure your wife, girlfriend/boyfriend, family members etc.. are aware of the scams and attacks going on now.

If anyone does see a note on their back window. Get in the car. lock the doors and drive off ASAP!!!

VERY interesting post. Does sound like the same scam.

Question for the OP. Has this guy "Jim" called your daughter since you called him? Sounds like he hasn't, and if that's the case you likely scared him off by calling his number, which he wasn't expecting. Hopefully that is the case.

MG0h3

Established Member
What would concern me is that he seems to know things than only an acquaintance would know.

So much gets posted on social media though; might have swiped it from there.

Users who are viewing this thread