Half shaft scare

nicksender

Established Member
I've read on here more than a few people have snapped them already at the track. I'm sure we will start seeing them snapping on the street with drag radials soon as well.

They are weak point even in a stock GT.

When I get my 2015 GT that will be the first performance item I add to the car.

PIKE5.0

Established Member

We've all heard this, and no doubt a modded (even slightly) GT on a sticky track/sticky tire can break them. But, you've obviously missed the guy (full bolt ons 440hp ish) 6k clutch dumping on the track, with hoosiers, repeatedly..

We don't need people repeating the same opinions. So I ask, what is your basis for them being weak even in a stock GT?

starnsey

Established Member
I've read on here more than a few people have snapped them already at the track. I'm sure we will start seeing them snapping on the street with drag radials soon as well.

When I get my 2015 GT that will be the first performance item I add to the car.

I'm not sure I've seen anyone saying they've snapped their half shafts. Certainly not on here.

REDS197

Established Member
I spoke with a Ford engineer at SEMA this year. He said the stock half shafts lasted 3 passes on everyone of the drag launches he witnessed. You will 100% need them if you go to the drag strip.

try03venom

Established Member
Opinions based on hearsay are not always accurate. I have a auto 15 it's not on my mod list until I see some real world testing.

starnsey

Established Member
I spoke with a Ford engineer at SEMA this year. He said the stock half shafts lasted 3 passes on everyone of the drag launches he witnessed. You will 100% need them if you go to the drag strip.

Is there like an article or a forum thread with multiple people breaking them? Just curious as I haven't come across anything beyond people basing their experiences on 03/04 Cobras.

601Mystic04

Svt addiction
Established Member
I broke one about 7 weeks ago at the track dumping the clutch at 3500. I'm on a Nt05R DR with just a JLT intake and tune. I only made 6 passes before it broke. Now I have DSS 1400hp halfshafts and DSS CF driveshaft dumping the clutch 5k with no issues. Shocks and bushings are next on my list of mods to buy.

BMR Tech

There have been a lot of failures with the OEM shafts already.

It will be a daily occurence once more of these cars are drag raced on a "drag pack"

REDS197

Established Member
Wait until you see them. They are hollow and filled with foam. Stock cars on (tires) will pop them easy. Throw wheel hop in and a street tire will break them.

starnsey

Established Member
I broke one about 7 weeks ago at the track dumping the clutch at 3500. I'm on a Nt05R DR with just a JLT intake and tune. I only made 6 passes before it broke. Now I have DSS 1400hp halfshafts and DSS CF driveshaft dumping the clutch 5k with no issues. Shocks and bushings are next on my list of mods to buy.

It will be a daily occurence once more of these cars are drag raced on a "drag pack"

Ah, well then yeah that sucks.

burnin4

Car Junkie
Established Member
I wonder if any of these broken shafts have come from auto's, which I would bet would be more unlikely.

terbo

Established Member
Any stick shift IRS car with drag radials will blow a CV axle. Drag radials have very stiff sidewalls. Gotta run bias ply tires if you are dragging it, like an ET Street. I broke an axle in my 01 cobra with a measly 320whp on the second pass on drag radials.

nicksender

Established Member

I agree and people need to be aware of it and deal with it early. There will always a handful that don't have this problem; but it won't be the norm.

These same issues crept up especially when the 03/04 Cobra's started showing up at the track. The factory IRS was not up to having drag radials thrown at it.

On my Cobra I was able to reduce the wheel hop with bushings (thank you BMR) and added an IRS brace and ET streets to absorb launches at the track instead of the driveline taking the abuse. I never had a snapped halfshaft; but I wasn't frequently at the drag strip as many others are.

BurnTire

Established Member
Auto cars are much easier on half shafts. I went high 10s on my 04 Cobra a ton of times on a bias ply tire with no problems.
Stay out of the wheel hop.

Users who are viewing this thread