HAHAHA alternator goes out... again

TrickStang37

Established Member
Ok, this is the third alternator to go out on my cobra. I installed a volt gauge with this newest alt, I figured it was going to die, I just wanted to know when. I knew it was gonna go out, it would charge at ~14.7-14.8v (too high, before that it was doing fine at ~14.2-14.4v) on the freeway these past couple weeks, and would dip into the low 13's with the high speed fan on and into the 12's with all accessories (A/C, lights, interior fans, etc.).

I've learned my lesson, i'm going to buy the cheap sh!t from AutoZone since it atleast has a lifetime warranty.

suaveflooder

500 hp grocery getter
Established Member
GOOD IDEA! I have a cheap one from kregan....never had an issue. I've had it for almost a year and a half now...not that it matters. I have a lifetime warranty as well

TrickStang37

Established Member
My stock one, one Factory Ford, one rebuilt from a reputable shop, and now Im sure some Kragen/AutoZone alt's will follow too.

JedWele

aka "boostfiend"
Established Member
Its weird how some go thru lots of alternators and others still have thier stock one with high miles.

bigmoose

Established Member
One of the reasons I will not get a lower...correct me if I'm wrong

you're wrong! as long as you have the correct matching alt pulley it will spin at the same as a stock lower.

to the OP, are you running a lower with the stock alt pulley?

i'm still on my stock alt with no problems.

Jomo1994z71

Can I get a KB WooWee!
Established Member
you're wrong! as long as you have the correct matching alt pulley it will spin at the same as a stock lower.

to the OP, are you running a lower with the stock alt pulley?

i'm still on my stock alt with no problems.

What matching alt pulley do I need for a 4# lower?

boosted2000si

All good things end!
Established Member
What matching alt pulley do I need for a 4# lower?

3.2 Is the correct one. What size is your upper?

I run a 3.5 on a 3lb lower and a 2.8 upper. So far so good, one week. I have burnt through 3 alternators in 3 months so the 4th one I put the pulley on. Hopefully it stops the problem.

TrickStang37

Established Member
i'm using the stock lower.

my stock alternator lasted ~45,000 miles. The other two lasted < 10,000 miles each.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
One of the reasons I will not get a lower...correct me if I'm wrong

But he doesn't have a lower. And as stated, if you match the alternator pulley you should be fine. A ton of people have a larger crank pulley and they're fine. It's the luck of the draw for the most part. JMO.

LuDamiKE81

Flattest of the Flat
Established Member
Wrong i have a lower along with the stock alternator, correct pulley, a tv,75x4 kenwood amp (for highs/mids), a JL 250/1 (for 10w6) and 50,000 miles no problems.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread