Had to put my dog to sleep yesterday.

JJ1997PGSVT

Established Member
Had to make that tough decision yesterday. My 13yr. old border collie Buddy has been having trouble with his hips for a while now and with his vision and was getting worse. I came home from work and he was down, back legs not moving at all, and having trouble breathing. Took him to my vet and we agreed that putting him to sleep was the right thing to do. Very tough to make that decision, but I know he isn't suffering anymore. My other border collie died about a year and a half ago, so I don't have any pets left. I will probably get another dog sometime down the road, but not for a while. RIP Buddy.

jerrad

RIP Gump
Established Member
So sorry man. I can't imagine how hard that must have been. Sounds like you did the right thing though.

Stroszek

Goes to 11
Established Member
Had to make that tough decision yesterday. My 13yr. old border collie Buddy has been having trouble with his hips for a while now and with his vision and was getting worse. I came home from work and he was down, back legs not moving at all, and having trouble breathing. Took him to my vet and we agreed that putting him to sleep was the right thing to do. Very tough to make that decision, but I know he isn't suffering anymore. My other border collie died about a year and a half ago, so I don't have any pets left. I will probably get another dog sometime down the road, but not for a while. RIP Buddy.

Sad to hear. I'm sorry for your loss.

Putting my last dog to sleep was the hardest decision I ever had to make. As someone told me, it's also the most unselfish thing we can do for our pets. You'll never be able to replace him with another dog but you can do as much for another dog as it can do for you.

Camaro_94

Brown Recluse Slayer
Established Member
Very sorry to hear man. I know how tough it is losing a pet.

You did the right thing.. Buddy isnt suffering anymore..

I made a mural/collage of pictures of my old german shepard who died a few years back and that really helped out. Its on my wall and I go past it every day, so I wont forget him.

holtsch

Established Member
That sucks. As far as I'm concerned animals are like kids. So it's hard to make that decision to let them go. But it's always better to make the decision. What kind of quality of life would the animal have? Personally, I think the same decisions should be made for people! I hope that if I can't maintain any kind of quality of life that my family will elect to "put me to sleep."

tj04cobra

Established Member
Sorry to hear about that man. I dread the day my gf's border collie dies or she has to put her down. The dog (she) is 14 now and my gf got her when she was in 4th grade. Someone ditched her in the desert in Arizona when she was a puppy and my gf found her. They have been attatched to each other ever since so I dread it. The dog can't hear very well if at all but is very healthy. Has had a few bad days as of recent tho. Sorry again to hear about your loss OP

rust0r

Established Member
Very tough decision to make, I had to put my cat down a few months ago and it was much harder than I imagined it would be. As others have said, it is the most unselfish thing you can do for a good pet. RIP Buddy

venom_inc

Killing time at work.
Established Member
Similar thing happened to me a three years back. I had to put my 14yr old lab down. I grew up with him since I was in 3rd grade.
He had trouble standing and couldn't control his bladder. It was hard seeing him like that. I don't think I have ever cried even close to the amount I did when I hugged him the last time. Truly my best friend. Sorry for your loss.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Sorry to hear you had to do this. I know it is a very tough thing to do when you're so attached to your pet. Maybe finding a pup (same breed?) sooner than later will help. Just a thought.

tj04cobra

Established Member
Sorry to hear you had to do this. I know it is a very tough thing to do when you're so attached to your pet. Maybe finding a pup (same breed?) sooner than later will help. Just a thought.

That is a great idea. I will have to keep that in mind for myself

Sniperdog

Less than Premium Member
Established Member
That sucks :( very sorry to hear, I dread having to do that when my lil buddie gets there. And I agree on the pup idea

MaximumVelocity

Mod motor convert
Established Member
Just did the same thing yesterday. Said goodbye to a 15yo Shiba Inu (although I didn't know him his whole life) due to his failing health. We made a decision to let him go and it was definitely one of the hardest things I have had to do....ever.

To the OP, I feel for your loss. RIP Buddy and Kaji (the Shiba).

-Tim

fiveoh2go

Cleveland's OG
Established Member
Damn dude, sorry to hear about this. I almost kinda hate reading these threads as I know that putting down a dog is definitely one of the hardest things anyone can do.

Last edited:

FSSNK

Established Member
So sorry to hear, but you did the right thing by not letting him suffer. RIP Buddy.

Users who are viewing this thread