Had to put my dog to sleep yesterday.

chimazo

Established Member
My condolences for your loss. I have never been more upset than when my little dog died at home last summer. I waited almost 6mo. before adopting another and I have to say that if it happened again, I wouldn't wait so long. It doesn't diminish the memory or feelings you had for the dog that passed, but it does give you something to focus your affection on and for reasons I can't explain, for me at least, it helped me get over the grief I still occasionally had even months later. Sometimes that shit would just pop up while I was driving or something and the next thing I know, I'm tearing up like a little girl. Hang in there and remember that expressing your sadness is normal and healthy. F*ck what everyone thinks is "manly."

Dominion

I'm your Huckleberry..
Established Member
Many people never understand how us dog people feel when we have to put down our best friend. Just know buddy knows you love him. Remember the good times yall had.

A friend showed me "Pets 10 commandments" and it tears me up every time.

EDIT: spend some time to mourn as you should, just remember there are tons of little guys at kill shelters that are looking for a best friend.

Last edited:

Gdubb

current beer in fridge
Established Member
Know your pain all too well, had to put one down 2 weeks ago myself. Hardest thing I have ever done was signing the consent form, left with tears in my eyes.

JJ1997PGSVT

Established Member
Thanks everybody for the kind words. I have shed my share of tears over this and not afraid to admit it. I like the idea of the collage and would put pics of both dogs on there, they were so attached to each other. Thanks again everybody.

Quik Z06

Established Member
It is really tough to do. I had to do it to my German Shepherd last year and my Rottweiler the year before that, it's never easy. The way I look at it is everyone has to go even animals. The best we can do is give them a great life and just keep in mind that they loved your company as much as you did theirs.

SVT-BansheeMan

up the bayou
Established Member
Been there and done that. It's hard for sure. I always enjoy looking at old photos remembering the good times. Ending their suffering is always for the best imo. I believe they appreciate it from up above.

Robert Francis

Established Member
I'm sorry to hear of your dogs passing, but rest assured knowing that he passed away always knowing he was in the safest hands he could be in - yours.

wvmystichrome

Established Member
Sorry to hear about your loss. It is hard to lose your man's best friend companion. I still miss my Lab. They poisoned him when they broke into my garage. I can still hear him whining to go play up in the hills.

Mikeyb619

Cobra Commander
Established Member
Dude I'm so sorry. My dog is going to be in a similar situation soon and I get teary eyed just thinking about it. She has been the best friend I could ever ask for and would do anything I could to keep her smiling. Funny how no matter how shitty of a day you have, as soon as you walk through that door at home, the doggy greeting makes everything else seem to go away. I'll cry when Sandy passes more than any funeral I've ever been at and will miss her terribly. Until then I just try to keep her as happy as I can, and I promised her a full on 5 star BBQ dinner right before that horrible time comes to show her what a pal she has been.

A touching poem called the Rainbow Bridge that I've received for the loss of my last dog.....

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

RIP Buddy and all the SVTP dogs who are only present in our hearts :rockon:

I know they are giving all the deceased UPS/FEDex/mailman absolute hell up in the pearly gates

Canadian_Bacon

Armchair Athlete
Established Member
I'm sorry to hear this. We went through this a few months ago with our Yellow Lab Murphy, and felt terrible. I was always hoping to wake up and he had a heart attack through the night( I know it's horrible but I would rather that).

I thought I was going to wait a couple months to get another one but it just feels like something is missing without him and made it a little harder. So about a month after we put Murphy down we started looking for another, we found Tango, a Australian Kelpie, about 3 weeks ago at a SPCA about 2 hours away and he is great.

SWAMPMODULAR

FAIRWARNING
Established Member
Sorry for your loss bro!! I had to watch two of my dogs die in my arms, not a good day at all!! All the best to you right now!!

Users who are viewing this thread