H&R Race Springs on a 2004 Cobra Convertible Question

time capsule

Established Member
I want to purchase the H&R Race springs for my convertible but the say it is for a coupe only. Anybody have experience with these springs on a 2003/2004 convertible with the IRS. I saw several photos of the 03/04 cobra convertible with these springs or at least the owners claim that they used the race spring. It just scares me to order them and it does not fit.

SpectorV

Established Member
the coupe version is for both coupe and vert, they dont make a vert specific, they work fine though. (what I am running)

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
One more for they work just fine for a vert. Had those on my old mystichrome vert, along with HD bilsteins, great combo. Quite a different feeling ride after those upgrades and the flsfc were welded in :coolman:

IMG_3695.JPG

03' White Snake

Established Member
Every vert running H&R race springs are meant for a coupe. No issues here for 5+ years.

You will be happy with them. Great choice. Next is to decide if your going to run ISO's or not. :beer:

lafeva

Established Member
+1 with everything said above. If you are going to run 18s I'd take the isos out. That's what I had on my vert in my sig

94slowbra1

Established Member
Will the race sit higher or lower than ss h&r springs? I'd like a slightly firmer ride but like the way my sports sit.

Rob_Stylez

Established Member
New question for your H&R owners, I recently bought a set of race versions from another member. The rears have some rust on the coils, looks like the paint is peeling off and causing this. Ive read its not a big deal and that the springs will outlast the vehicle.

Any thoughts, suggestions, does anyone here have rust forming on their springs?

94slowbra1

Established Member
Race sit higher than super sports

Could probably achieve the same drop with no iso's on the race.
thanks for that. right now i have one set of iso's removed front and rear and it sits perfect so maybe h&r race with no iso's will be the ticket. ill keep an eye out for a used set. thanks

time capsule

Established Member
Ok guys, I just installed my race springs. Why is the rear so high. I did not want to take out the isolators because I was afraid of excessive noise. Did I make a mistake?

010_zps974b3f1a.jpg

c6zhombre

E85 NutSwinger
Established Member
New question for your H&R owners, I recently bought a set of race versions from another member. The rears have some rust on the coils, looks like the paint is peeling off and causing this. Ive read its not a big deal and that the springs will outlast the vehicle.

Any thoughts, suggestions, does anyone here have rust forming on their springs?

Rust should not form unless the original spring got scraped. Then you might get rust. Otherwise, if you're careful during install with a new set, they last very well cosmetically. Structurally, I doubt a little rust is any issue at all. They'll probably outlast the car.

But you could sand them down a bit and respray the areas that look bad. I know on my wide spoke sp500s they're pretty visible reflecting off the barrel. Nice to have them looking rust free

FromGTtoSVT

can't believe I am still here
Established Member
Ok guys, I just installed my race springs. Why is the rear so high. I did not want to take out the isolators because I was afraid of excessive noise. Did I make a mistake?

010_zps974b3f1a.jpg

This is exactly why I had the rear top isolators removed before installing the springs. The whole "noise" issue removed isolators is just not true. I haven't had a peep out of mine for 4+ years.

Also keep in mind, springs do take some time to settle

ripnesscobra

Established Member
When I did my H&R Race springs, I first used the stock ISOs in the front and replaced the top rear ISOs with 3/4" heater hose wrapped around a full coil in order to lower the rear and still isolate the spring from the car. I determined that the rear needed to be lower than it would be with the factory ISOs from looking at as many pictures as I could on here.

Once the springs settled, I loved the way the rear looked, but the front had slightly more gap between the wheel well and the tire. So to fix that, I replaced the top front ISOs with 3/4" heater hose wrapped around a full coil as well.

Now my car sits perfectly (to me) with a very very slight rake.

Users who are viewing this thread