H/c/i ls1ss??

98Snake03

I8URVET
Established Member
Ok...just hypothetical, but I am curious now...

My neighbor down the street has a LS1 SS speed with a cam (not sure what kind, but it lopes hard) and LS6 heads. Not sure what other bolt on's, but I am sure it has full bolt ons with headers and 4.10's.

It's his wife's car, but she jokingly said "I want to race!!"

So if this were to go down, what do you all think? I think he would have me. I would probably compare this to me racing a cammed C5ZO6??

Thanks guys.

Ls1z28-00

Established Member
if its a fbody you will take him hands down. i dont see that car traping over 119 so with your trap you should walk past him no problem. a fbody SS weights around 3500 to your 3700. he probley makes 410+ RWHP so go figure.

shebadd

Established Member
Depens on his exact setup but most head/cam ls1's will make around 440rwp plus and some even up around 470rwhp, however the torque will be much lower.

16kOrBust

Established Member
M6 or A4?

Sounds like a higher hp version of my car (same setup with a bigger cam and better heads maybe plus a lighter drivetrain if stockish - did you say it has a 90/90 intake and TB setup or stock?). Check out my sig for numbers. I have LS6 heads but they're the BOTTOM of the line LS6 heads and I have a fairly mild cam with the stock LS6 intake. My guess is if she can drive, she'd be trapping at least what I do but based on your assessment of the cam lope and possible intake setup, I'd say quite a bit faster assuming a 6-speed.

My car weighs 3,500 (full weight plus the extra from the 12-bolt and suspension). I put down 400/367 SAE on a dynojet and trap 117, but my car is about the weakest H/C LS1 setup out there running through a VERY heavy drivetrain, 4.10s, and a steep geared 6-speed. In a stock weight car with 4.10s, I'd say your top of the line big cam/LS6 heads setup with a 92/92 could be trapping mid 120s anyways, putting down around 460 to the wheels. But a mid-range setup like that will probably be in the 420-440rwhp range with low 120 traps.

Any power-robbing drivetrain work? ie 12-bolt, those 4.10s don't help, built trans, bigger driveshaft, heavy wheels?

These setups vary SO MUCH, though, so without exact cam specs, knowing which LS6 heads they are, if it's got a 90/90 or 92/92, and what the drivetrain setup is, it's hard to say. I would say don't expect anything less than my car but more realistically a car trapping low 120s. At best, maybe mid-120s unless there is some weight reduction or it's a freak.

The most important question, though, is can she drive? She could be running the strongest H/C/I LS1 Fbody out there but with a six speed if she can't drive, you'll take the win.

Last edited:

Teethy

0S0SL0
Established Member
[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EsAJSKnceoo]YouTube - 2003 cobra Vs 2002 SS Camaro[/ame]

Same setup except the SS is an auto. About 3 cars 30-130 @ 468 RWHP in the Cobra.

98Snake03

I8URVET
Established Member
M6 or A4?

Sounds like a higher hp version of my car (same setup with a bigger cam and better heads maybe plus a lighter drivetrain if stockish - did you say it has a 90/90 intake and TB setup or stock?). Check out my sig for numbers. I have LS6 heads but they're the BOTTOM of the line LS6 heads and I have a fairly mild cam with the stock LS6 intake. My guess is if she can drive, she'd be trapping at least what I do but based on your assessment of the cam lope and possible intake setup, I'd say quite a bit faster.

My car weighs 3,500 (full weight plus the extra from the 12-bolt and suspension). I put down 400/367 SAE on a dynojet and trap 117, but my car is about the weakest H/C LS1 setup out there running through a VERY heavy drivetrain, 4.10s, and a steep geared 6-speed. In a stock weight car with 4.10s, I'd say your top of the line big cam/LS6 heads setup with a 92/92 could be trapping mid 120s anyways, putting down around 460 to the wheels. But a mid-range setup like that will probably be in the 420-440rwhp range with low 120 traps.

Any power-robbing drivetrain work? ie 12-bolt, those 4.10s don't help, built trans, bigger driveshaft, heavy wheels?

These setups vary SO MUCH, though, so without exact cam specs, knowing which LS6 heads they are, if it's got a 90/90 or 92/92, and what the drivetrain setup is, it's hard to say. I would say don't expect anything less than my car but more realistically a car trapping low 120s. At best, maybe mid-120s unless there is some weight reduction or it's a freak.

The most important question, though, is can she drive? She could be running the strongest H/C/I LS1 Fbody out there but with a six speed if she can't drive, you'll take the win.

I'm not sure what intake, and they may be bottom LS6 heads for all I know. IT has chrome SS wheels (ZR1 style)

Her husband would drive I would assume, and he is a good driver. I know him from when he used to have a mustang.

I have reduced my weight since my time on there. I have lost 20 lbs and the car is weighing right around 3550 with a 1/2 tank of gas now.

That's about all I know right now about the car. They just bought it a few months ago. It's silver with a black ram air scoop wearing what look like HTRZ2's....it's in OKC, so maybe someone on here knows the car or who sold it.

16kOrBust

Established Member
I'm not sure what intake, and they may be bottom LS6 heads for all I know. IT has chrome SS wheels (ZR1 style)

Her husband would drive I would assume, and he is a good driver. I know him from when he used to have a mustang.

I have reduced my weight since my time on there. I have lost 20 lbs and the car is weighing right around 3550 with a 1/2 tank of gas now.

That's about all I know right now about the car. They just bought it a few months ago. It's silver with a black ram air scoop wearing what look like HTRZ2's....it's in OKC, so maybe someone on here knows the car or who sold it.

Hmm, like I said these setups vary a LOT depending on the quality of the parts, the drivetrain, cam specs, etc. WORST case scenario it should be a high 11X car and BEST case for a street car it has the potential to be a mid-high 120s car, but those are very rare with these kinds of setups. Based on what you've told me, I'd guess its a low 120s car but I guess you'll just have to race him and find out. :burnout:

If you get a chance to talk to him, these are the things I'd ask him in order:

1. M6 or A4? If A4, what stall?

2. What tires on the back and dig or roll?

3. Cam specs and which LS6 heads (place he got them and stage/model)?

4. 90/90 (or 92/92) intake setup?

5. Drivetrain setup (stock 10-bolt and driveshaft, gears)?

OR you could just ask him what it put down since I'm sure he got it dyno tuned being a H/C setup. :)

Last edited:

98Snake03

I8URVET
Established Member
Hmm, like I said these setups vary a LOT depending on the quality of the parts, the drivetrain, cam specs, etc. WORST case scenario it should be a high 11X car and BEST case for a street car it has the potential to be a mid-high 120s car, but those are very rare with these kinds of setups. Based on what you've told me, I'd guess its a low 120s car but I guess you'll just have to race him and find out. :burnout:

If you get a chance to talk to him, these are the things I'd ask him in order:

1. M6 or A4? If A4, what stall?

2. What tires on the back and dig or roll?

3. Cam specs and which LS6 heads (place he got them and stage/model)?

4. 90/90 (or 92/92) intake setup?

5. Drivetrain setup (stock 10-bolt and driveshaft, gears)?

OR you could just ask him what it put down since I'm sure he got it dyno tuned being a H/C setup. :)

thanks for the input. It is a M6 car. I thought I mentioned that. He has stock size Sumitomo tires on it....and no it's not tuned yet....

LS2GTO

Established Member
and no it's not tuned yet....

There's your answer right there. Simply due to that fact it's prolly not any faster with all those mods than before them. If he put in all that, but is still running the stock tune (or a tune not optimized for specifically his h/c/i then it's going to be nowhere near as powerful as it should be.

BumbleBeeGTO

Established Member
Wow.. Not tuning it is almost as stupid as buying a 150 shot and spraying on an empty bottle lol.

To the OP seems like ti should be a pretty good race. Make sure you get it on video!

16kOrBust

Established Member
thanks for the input. It is a M6 car. I thought I mentioned that. He has stock size Sumitomo tires on it....and no it's not tuned yet....

Yikes, I wouldn't do more with that car than drive it to the dyno shop for a full tune if I installed an aftermarket heads and cam setup (and take it easy getting there). Even a mid-sized cam-only setup shouldn't be raced without a good tune on it. All it takes is for you to go WOT a few times with a very lean A/F ratio and BOOM, time for a stroker.

And even if the A/F just happens to be safe enough for him to race, he's probably not getting any kind of impressive power out of it without a full dyno tune; certainly not enough to handle a ported Cobra like yours that's trapping low to mid 120s. He's gonna need that setup he has on the car at 100% with some good driving to make that a race, and even then it's gonna depend on just how strong of a setup he's got.

Last edited:

BayareaSS

Established Member
I agree with PSM. That setup could be 410hp or it could be 460. With out the h/c/i specs its impossible to give an accurate guess. My guess is that it won't be able to pull you.

But my car only had 374hp and i trapped 116 and it had a 117 in it but i never went back to the track. So if my car had similar mods to your neighbor i'd be able to run with you according to the time in your sig. But since the car has shitty street tires and no tune you'll kill it easily!

Last edited:

Slowmofo

Wut?
Established Member
I would side with you here, unless he has some spray set up..

Hard to say by just your post on whats done to the car, but its a 450rwhp car at best (going off what you posted)

And with him on street tires with 4.10's should be a fun time as well..

NA_Cobra

Established Member

My neighbor down the street has a LS1 SS speed with a cam (not sure what kind, but it lopes hard) and LS6 heads. Not sure what other bolt on's, but I am sure it has full bolt ons with headers and 4.10's.

So if this were to go down, what do you all think? I think he would have me. I would probably compare this to me racing a cammed C5ZO6??

Thanks guys.

LOL how do you know the car has 4.10 gearing?

NA_Cobra

Established Member

Thanks guys.

a cammed LS1 SS comes nowhere near a cammed Z06 and it's ugly for the SS after 100mph

NA_Cobra

Established Member
Depens on his exact setup but most head/cam ls1's will make around 440rwp plus and some even up around 470rwhp, however the torque will be much lower.

Now that the Trickflow 215s has been on the market for quite some time now, max effort stock 346 H/C/I C5s and C5Zs as well as C6s stock bottom 364s are now making 490-510rwhp, and 420-430rwtq

16kOrBust

Established Member
a cammed LS1 SS comes nowhere near a cammed Z06 and it's ugly for the SS after 100mph

While that is true, the OP is talking about a H/C LS1, not a cam-only LS1. Sometimes that doesn't mean much (like in my car's case), but sometimes it's more than enough to make it a good race for a cammed Z06. There are many many H/C/I LS1 Fbodies making high 400s to the wheels, which is plenty to hang with or sometimes beat a cammed C5 Z06.

Users who are viewing this thread