H/c/i ls1ss??

98Snake03

I8URVET
Established Member
While that is true, the OP is talking about a H/C LS1, not a cam-only LS1. Sometimes that doesn't mean much (like in my car's case), but sometimes it's more than enough to make it a good race for a cammed Z06. There are many many H/C/I LS1 Fbodies making high 400s to the wheels, which is plenty to hang with or sometimes beat a cammed C5 Z06.

His setup is a cammed ZO6 motor....he has the LS6 heads....and I assume an intake(could be wrong, but why do 2 without the 3rd?)

I may be off the reservation here, but isn't the difference in the LS1 and LS6 h/c/i?

16kOrBust

Established Member
His setup is a cammed ZO6 motor....he has the LS6 heads....and I assume an intake(could be wrong, but why do 2 without the 3rd?)

I may be off the reservation here, but isn't the difference in the LS1 and LS6 h/c/i?

Is it actually a cammed Z06 motor he swapped in or did he just buy LS6 heads and a cam for his stock LS1? There's a big difference because aftermarket LS6 heads are typically ported, etc and perform better than the stock LS6 243 heads that come on a C5 Z06. Same 243 castings but I don't know of anyone who sells stock 243 heads with no work done to them (besides maybe GM).

Also, a ported FAST 92/92 intake/throttle body setup for an LSX motor will run you around $1,400 new, so a lot of people do the heads and cam alone first and then upgrade the intake and throttle body down the road when they have the money. My car, for example, has the stock LS6 intake and a ported stock throttle body. I would most likely pickup 20 or more to the wheels with the ported FAST setup but for $1,500 I'd rather upgrade my heads. I have recently seen someone pickup 35rwhp just doing the FAST swap, though, so it's tempting.

Last edited:

KILRSVT

Established Member
if your a decent driver you should be able to get this guy.it should be good. take a video when you guys go racing in mexico.....:lol1:

NA_Cobra

Established Member
While that is true, the OP is talking about a H/C LS1, not a cam-only LS1. Sometimes that doesn't mean much (like in my car's case), but sometimes it's more than enough to make it a good race for a cammed Z06. There are many many H/C/I LS1 Fbodies making high 400s to the wheels, which is plenty to hang with or sometimes beat a cammed C5 Z06.

At the track I could see it being a good race, but on the highway, the Z is going to win hands down everytime... and high 4's isn't plenty to hang with a cammed C5Z on the highway...maybe at the track, but not highway

NA_Cobra

Established Member

The blocks are different and the pistons are different. Z06 pistons are coated.

NA_Cobra

Established Member
Is it actually a cammed Z06 motor he swapped in or did he just buy LS6 heads and a cam for his stock LS1? There's a big difference because aftermarket LS6 heads are typically ported, etc and perform better than the stock LS6 243 heads that come on a C5 Z06. Same 243 castings but I don't know of anyone who sells stock 243 heads with no work done to them (besides maybe GM).

Also, a ported FAST 92/92 intake/throttle body setup for an LSX motor will run you around $1,400 new, so a lot of people do the heads and cam alone first and then upgrade the intake and throttle body down the road when they have the money. My car, for example, has the stock LS6 intake and a ported stock throttle body. I would most likely pickup 20 or more to the wheels with the ported FAST setup but for $1,500 I'd rather upgrade my heads. I have recently seen someone pickup 35rwhp just doing the FAST swap, though, so it's tempting.

A ported Fast 92/92 is $1400 for a Camaro/TA and $1900 for a C5 vette. Realisticlly, you'd gain about 14-15 with the ported fast 92/92... someone picking up 35rwhp alone was either a stroker or manipulating the dyno

Last edited:

16kOrBust

Established Member
At the track I could see it being a good race, but on the highway, the Z is going to win hands down everytime... and high 4's isn't plenty to hang with a cammed C5Z on the highway...maybe at the track, but not highway

Depends on the cam in the Z06. 490rwhp SAE in a 6-speed Z28 that weighs about ~3450 stock is not going to lose to a 220s or smaller cammed Z06, even on the highway unless the Camaro driver sucks. The aerodynamics and weight of a Camaro aren't as bad as you're making them out to be compared to the Z06. You're talking 300 pounds, so about 30rwhp difference, plus the aero difference. Even if that's another 30rwhp advantage to the Z06, it still needs 430 to the wheels to make that an even race, and most 220s Z06s are NOT making 430 to the wheels.

16kOrBust

Established Member
A ported Fast 92/92 is $1400 for a Camaro/TA and $1900 for a C5 vette. Realisticlly, you'd gain about 14-15 with the ported fast 92/92... someone picking up 35rwhp alone was either a stroker or manipulating the dyno

Go ahead and read through the first page of this thread for a bunch of example of people picking up WELL over 15rwhp swapping to their FAST setups. Some go from the LS1 intake, some from the LS6. I didn't say it was normal, but it happens depending on the setup. Some might only pickup 10, some might get 20-25, a very few might get more depending on what they're pulling off the car. Some might even get less, but it seems to be a crap shoot with those swaps, especially for that kind of money. You just don't know what you'll gain until you do it. And we're talking 346s, not strokers.

http://www.ls1tech.com/forums/dynam...added-44hp-23lbs-thats-about-right-right.html

Do some searching in the dyno section of LS1Tech and you'll find plenty of examples of cars that have gained more than 14-15rwhp. Like I said myself, the 35rwhp gain is far from the norm, but it has happened, especially coming from an LS1 intake and stock, unported TB setup, and especially in a car that has high flowing heads and a big cam. The heads and cam can only make use of the air that you can get into the motor. When that's being restricted by a stock setup on a highend H/C setup, it makes a huge difference.

If I did the swap would I be planning on picking up 30rwhp? No, not even close. I'd hope for 10 and be happy if it made any more than that because some don't. But if I was running a stock intake/TB setup with a big cam and Trickflow 215s, then did the swap, I'd be surprised if I didn't pickup 15-20 anyways.

Last edited:

NA_Cobra

Established Member
Depends on the cam in the Z06. 490rwhp SAE in a 6-speed Z28 that weighs about ~3450 stock is not going to lose to a 220s or smaller cammed Z06, even on the highway unless the Camaro driver sucks. The aerodynamics and weight of a Camaro aren't as bad as you're making them out to be compared to the Z06. You're talking 300 pounds, so about 30rwhp difference, plus the aero difference. Even if that's another 30rwhp advantage to the Z06, it still needs 430 to the wheels to make that an even race, and most 220s Z06s are NOT making 430 to the wheels.

There aren't that many guys doing many 220s cams any more now that these days modern tuning software is allowing 230s cam to drive like stock... I can't remember than last time I've seen of or heard of a C5Z running a 220s stick. Many are in the 230s pushing 430+rwhp and trapping 122-124mph

Last edited:

NA_Cobra

Established Member
Go ahead and read through the first page of this thread for a bunch of example of people picking up WELL over 15rwhp swapping to their FAST setups. Some go from the LS1 intake, some from the LS6. I didn't say it was normal, but it happens depending on the setup. Some might only pickup 10, some might get 20-25, a very few might get more depending on what they're pulling off the car. Some might even get less, but it seems to be a crap shoot with those swaps, especially for that kind of money. You just don't know what you'll gain until you do it. And we're talking 346s, not strokers.

my ported FAST 90 added 44HP and 23LBS. that's about right, right? - LS1TECH

Do some searching in the dyno section of LS1Tech and you'll find plenty of examples of cars that have gained more than 14-15rwhp. Like I said myself, the 35rwhp gain is far from the norm, but it has happened, especially coming from an LS1 intake and stock, unported TB setup, and especially in a car that has high flowing heads and a big cam. The heads and cam can only make use of the air that you can get into the motor. When that's being restricted by a stock setup on a highend H/C setup, it makes a huge difference.

If I did the swap would I be planning on picking up 30rwhp? No, not even close. I'd hope for 10 and be happy if it made any more than that because some don't. But if I was running a stock intake/TB setup with a big cam and Trickflow 215s, then did the swap, I'd be surprised if I didn't pickup 15-20 anyways.

Yea, I see what your saying now, going from a LS1 intake to Fast is a big gain.

16kOrBust

Established Member
There aren't that many guys doing many 220s cams any more now that these days modern tuning software is allowing 230s cam to drive like stock... I can't remember than last time I've seen of or heard of a C5Z running a 220s stick. Many are in the 230s pushing 430+rwhp and trapping 122-124mph

Yea, I see what your saying now, going from a LS1 intake to Fast is a big gain.

Something tells me we're on the same page here. :beer:

And I think we both agree that the OP is going to wreck his buddy's Camaro in its current condition.

:rockon:

Last edited:

Mach1USMC

SVT Powered
Established Member
Just a guess but based on my buddies 98 with a similar setup I'd say if you can drive you should get him. You're looking at what is most likely a mid 11 car- probably somewhere in the low 4XX range. IF THATS ALL HE HAS GOT. If he's running nitrous or bigger cubes you are screwed. The reason it's NOT like a HCI C5Z is the Maro is slightly heavier and is less aerodynamic.....although he's probably a 2-3 hundred less than you.

GL and get it on tape:rockon:

Kingcater

Can't stop modding...
Established Member
Yep the Camaro is definitely going down. Unfortunately it can be of two ways or even both ways, just losing, blow his engine or both....

Your neighbor needs to wise up and get that thing tuned and get some real tires before he calls someone out, let alone a pullied cobra....

With not having a tune I'm sure the car runs like crap considering he has added H/C and gears....

Have fun with the easy win, I'm sure your neighbor won't be coming over to say hay for a while lmfao

NA_Cobra

Established Member
I'm pretty sure that camaro has a small baby cam and a set of heads. without a tune, it wouldn't do any harm to the motor, it'd just run pig rich.. But I'd still put it on a dyno to see where the A/F is at. A big cam or a cam with a low LSA wouldn't idle consistently or run consistently without a tune...... so option 2, either it's big cammed and tuned or he's b.s ing you.

Users who are viewing this thread