Gutting Cats?

eddie01

My DD is a Crown Vic
Established Member
Everyone be easy on me cause its just a question, what is the difference between deletes and gutting cats, I know deletes aren't that costly and people hate seeing a perfectly good set of converters get ruined, I just read where guys on here gut them and just wondering what the flow difference is, by the way I plan on doing deletes.

92hatchlx

Colorado Rocky Mountain High
Established Member
I could see the open chamber as opposed to the honeycomb inside the cat causing turbulence, but probably nothing that you would ever notice. The deletes would just be a pipe with out a cat on it. Gutted cats = free, delete pipes = cheap mod. Depends on how cheap you want to be.

eddie01

My DD is a Crown Vic
Established Member
Would also be good for people wanting it to still look like they have cats, for the really strict states.

el jefe 302

Making all kinds of gainz
Established Member
Cheap yes. But it sounds terrible compared to deletes, the open chamber creates a nasty(bad) sounding echo.

Over on the camaro forums a couple of years ago a guy tried it and proceeded to drive it right to the exhaust shop and had them cut and weld in deletes.

So again you can... but if you do take video to show other people how it sounds:beer:

stang910

Established Member
Just gut them, install nonfoulers and don't worry about it anymore. It sounds great, you won't even be able to tell it's not an aftermarket pipe. Get the FRPP X pipe and you have an OR-X that looks like it's an OEM catted pipe.

bryantaylor

Established Member
gutted flow bad and sound even worse. if you buy deletes and sell your stock cats to a scrap metal place it is possible to actually make money.

eddie01

My DD is a Crown Vic
Established Member
So you have heard one in person, it's hard to go off of YouTube videos, I'm gonna be loud no matter what cause I have Roushes

stang910

Established Member
Yes I've heard them in person and they sound fine. If your worried about it, do like what was said above. Sell your cats to a junkyard and you can buy the deletes.

eddie01

My DD is a Crown Vic
Established Member
About a year ago we had a huge problem with people cutting cats off cars at dealers and even in people's driveways so scrapyards won't even touch them around here, would just be parts laying around.

eddie01

My DD is a Crown Vic
Established Member
Heres my delima, I already have the Roushes and I want louder, should I ditch the cats or the resinators, I plan on getting the idle lope tune from AED and I want it to be very noticeable, whats everyones opinion, I love the Roushes but I dont want it so loud I cant hear myself talk without the cats, thanks guys.

silver50

Established Member
Would also be good for people wanting it to still look like they have cats, for the really strict states.

this is the reason why I gutted it. If I get pulled over in Cali for it, I will show them the cats are still there and no check engine lights are on. And I think my car sound really good with it this way. Get a lot a compliments on my exhaust all the time.

silver50

Established Member
Heres my delima, I already have the Roushes and I want louder, should I ditch the cats or the resinators, I plan on getting the idle lope tune from AED and I want it to be very noticeable, whats everyones opinion, I love the Roushes but I dont want it so loud I cant hear myself talk without the cats, thanks guys.

If you have your resonators still, I would recommend cutting them off. After that if you want it louder then remove the cats. I wanted it insanely loud so no cats nor resonators on my car. still have the dynomax muffler the car had when I bought it used. I want louder. So sooner than later I will buy the 3 in stainless catback dynomax exhaust and a new x pipe since the one that is installed now is welded together. Car sounds awesome now so haven't been press to change it yet, but since I running out of things to do the car prior to building the bottom end and installing a paxton supercharger. The exhaust will probably change some time in 2013.

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
Are you worried about having cats for inspection? Cat delets should take more than an hour of your time for a quick swap before you need to get inspected. But if you do gut the cats put up some vids! As far as the idle lope, I've heard that you have to be catless, but I'd email Shaun just to make sure. It sounds awesome though. I have mine running with long tubes and O/R x pipe with cutouts and just sounds mean, so it shouldn't be too bad with the roush mufflers.

eddie01

My DD is a Crown Vic
Established Member
I'm not worried about the inspection, was really wondering if there would be much difference between deletes or gutted cats as far as flow, since no one around buys them I figured gutting them would save $130, if its obnoxious loud with the Roushes I could always sell them and get some flows or the GT500 mufflers

eddie01

My DD is a Crown Vic
Established Member
I appreciate that, a lot of guys say Roushes and no cats sound bad, I have the only 5.0 in the area so there aren't others I can listen to unfortunately

Napoleon85

Established Member
I appreciate that, a lot of guys say Roushes and no cats sound bad, I have the only 5.0 in the area so there aren't others I can listen to unfortunately

It does sound bad. The roush sounds great on an otherwise stock exhaust system, but it just gets obnoxious with cat/resonator deletes. The term that was commonly used to describe my car was "racecar loud" and that's not a good thing on the streets. I switched to gt500s and its very manageable.

That said, my goal for the car is to NOT attract attention to myself. If you're trying to be flashy and get a lot of attention everywhere you go, then a roush with offroad x will do that. I just feel its unreasonably loud for the power level...

Slegos888

Established Member
i have the roush axle back and jegs cat deletes. not only do i think they sound perfect but i get compliments all the time. it can be pretty loud but nothing i would consider obnoxious. it has a deep muscle car sound at idle and low in the rpm rang but screams like a nascar up top.

Users who are viewing this thread