GTI vs SVT Lightning

Status
Not open for further replies.

JAYMONEY

Established Member
HotRodK said:
Oh, now you believe??
Roll your eyes all you want. Its a FACT that the Gen1s were NOT true SVTs. NONE of them were. After the Cobras came out in '93 they wanted SVT division to grow, so they put the Lightning under SVT. Thus, the '94-'95 Lightnings had SVT badges on the tailgate. Clearly an afterthought.

I should know, I had a '93 Lightning that was the quickest and fastest all motor, 351 on the NLOC site. It still holds the record for mph, unless someone very recently broke it.

If you dont know something, ask someone or do some research, DONT BABBLE wrong information. :nono:
My point is, it is still considered an SVT whether you like it or not. I also owned a '93 L, so I know they weren't badged and originally not part of the SVT division. But, the gen 1's were placed in the SVT division, therefore, making them an SVT. I don't need to do some research and I'm not babbling wrong info. GEN 1 L's ARE SVTs'

Here's a pic of my "NON-BADGED" '93 SVT Lightning

JAYMONEY

Established Member
supeg said:
Dont be mad cause you got a 16 second worthless car.
Hey, I see you changed your avatar. So I guess that means you're gonna talk smack on gen 2 L's. :loser:

JAYMONEY

Established Member
Sonic Blue L said:
Idot? Well I just had an opinion but i guess that didn't agree with yours so u must be brilliant.

The car never fit with svt - the gen1 lighting was the quickest truck (351 vs 454) at the time, the 93+ cobra would run with the camaro (302 vs 350), but what did the focus have? a 6spd, yay, but it was still slower then most other cars in its league. (the contour never had much balls but atleast it can be kinda placed along with the svo mustang for a " driver's car ".

If the focus was equal to an srt4 or sti then it would have deserved the name svt. The problem with the svt focus was the time it was built, if it would have been built ten years earlier then it would be appopriate to call it an svt product.
First of all, I was'nt calling you an idiot, I was asking if you were an idiot.
Second, the srt-4 was'nt even on the market when the SVTF was introduced. SVT's main target, for the Focus, was the Honda Civc si. As for as the STI, that's in a different class than the SVTF. Do some research. :rolleyes:

JAYMONEY

Established Member
Seriously, you guys can think what you want of the SVTF, that's your opinion. If my situation was a little different, I'd own a gen 2 L or a Terminator. Fact is, I'm a Ford man. I wanted a gas econo car and I bought the SVTF. Even though the srt-4 is faster, it would've killed me to buy a Dodge. I owned a 9 sec 5.0 LX, I know what speed is. It was either, keep my 9 sec car and have my family and I live in a shit hole or sell the 9 sec car and move my family into a nice house. So, until I get my business started, my SVTF will suit me just fine. :-D

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
This argument is moot. There are no more Lightnings OR Foci OR Contours in the SVT lineup.

Due to obvious reasons, these items are now extinct from the 2005, 2006, and most likely 2007 lineups.

300bhp/ton

I just like cars!!!
Established Member
JAYMONEY said:
But, the gen 1's were placed in the SVT division, therefore, making them an SVT. I don't need to do some research and I'm not babbling wrong info. GEN 1 L's ARE SVTs'
Are you sure?? I'm not knowing for certain, but back then SVT wasn't sVT was it.

It was Special Vehicle Operations or SVO. I know there was at least one SVO sn95 Mustang, so that would place SVO being active until at least 1996.

:pop:

Sonic Blue L

Established Member
JAYMONEY said:
First of all, I was'nt calling you an idiot, I was asking if you were an idiot.
Second, the srt-4 was'nt even on the market when the SVTF was introduced. SVT's main target, for the Focus, was the Honda Civc si. As for as the STI, that's in a different class than the SVTF. Do some research. :rolleyes:

My poor research is due to the fact that I would not buy a focus, neon, golf, or basically any ( and i use the term loosly) sport compact vehilce. (i dont mind calling them sporty looking but a sports car they are not)

Put it this way ford had a package called aerosport for a van, that equals putting svt on a focus. It does not mean its necessarily a bad product but it does mean poor usage of a name IMO and deminishes what an svt product should be. Its like putting a mercedes badge on a neon.

BTW - I'm not in anyway trying to put down your car, they are nice cars and too have a 6spd manual is great but I think it should have just been a focus gt or something along that line.

Last edited:

JAYMONEY

Established Member
Sonic Blue L said:
My poor research is due to the fact that I would not buy a focus, neon, golf, or basically any ( and i use the term loosly) sport compact vehilce. (i dont mind calling them sporty looking but a sports car they are not)

Put it this way ford had a package called aerosport for a van, that equals putting svt on a focus. It does not mean its necessarily a bad product but it does mean poor usage of a name IMO and deminishes what an svt product should be. Its like putting a mercedes badge on a neon.

BTW - I'm not in anyway trying to put down your car, they are nice cars and too have a 6spd manual is great but I think it should have just been a focus gt or something along that line.
I understand what you're saying, but Ford wanted the Focus to compete with other tuner cars, so they let SVT take care of it. I really don't think it's a poor usage of the name. IMO, it would've been a poor usage of the name if SVT only put wheels and ground effects on the Focus. Why call it a Focus GT when you have the SVT division? If that's the case, Ford should've named the Cobra the GT-R and have SVT build a Mustang Cobra "supercar" to compete with Lambos, Porshes, Ferraris, etc. I understand that the L and Cobra are the most popular SVT vehicles, but why stop there. IMO, I think it would be great if Ford would make an SVT version for every vehicle in their lineup. Honestly, I wish Ford did take the SVTF and keep it the Focus ST, that way SVT would've probably put a turbo on the Focus. :-D

Sonic Blue L

Established Member
I've seen in the svt enthusiast (i'm sure you did to) where there was a supercharger install done on the focus. Mind you my parents had a t-bird turbo coupe and what a little turbo did to that little 2.3 in a big car was amazing. I also liked how it had a flip chip built in, you could run it on either regular or premium.

I think the name game is just that - look at the ford gt - I dont think it says svt on it anywhere but i thought the svt team built it :shrug: .

Anyway didn't mean to be harsh so take care of that little SVT. :thumbsup:

JAYMONEY

Established Member
Sonic Blue L said:
I've seen in the svt enthusiast (i'm sure you did to) where there was a supercharger install done on the focus. Mind you my parents had a t-bird turbo coupe and what a little turbo did to that little 2.3 in a big car was amazing. I also liked how it had a flip chip built in, you could run it on either regular or premium.

I think the name game is just that - look at the ford gt - I dont think it says svt on it anywhere but i thought the svt team built it :shrug: .

Anyway didn't mean to be harsh so take care of that little SVT. :thumbsup:
:beer:

2tonOfun

Established Member
05 Roush said:
There are no more Lightnings OR Foci OR Contours in the SVT lineup. Due to obvious reasons, these items are now extinct from the 2005, 2006, and most likely 2007 lineups.

:shrug: I'm not sure I understand this comment. "obvious reasons"?

What they should have done was put a turbo on the Focus and a V8 in the Contour. The Lightning, well I'm not sure what they were thinking there. The Gen2 is still the best looking Ass kicking truck on the street.

05 Roush

Roushcharged
Established Member
2tonOfun said:
:shrug: I'm not sure I understand this comment. "obvious reasons"?

What they should have done was put a turbo on the Focus and a V8 in the Contour. The Lightning, well I'm not sure what they were thinking there. The Gen2 is still the best looking Ass kicking truck on the street.

Contour and Focus = poor sales.
Lightning = costs too much on new platform.

97 slowbra

Banned
How is my lightning a dog? what does a lightning trap in stock form? Isnt it 100? Yeah he traped 99 and I have a car on him at 100 from a 25roll..So my truck is probably trapin 100-101..Maybe 102 if im lucky..sounds about right for just intake

old guys rule

Red Blown Sled
Established Member
Man go away and take that red pos with you. Lets face it your out classed here in every way. Im calling a big B.S. on your story. Having your buddies vouch for it doesnt make believable. Your running against a truck that should run (stock) 13.7 or 13.8. Do you know the difference in a 14.0 and 13.7 its big. When my L was stock you couldnt pull me in any gear at any speed on your best day. Stop lying and grow up. Nuff Said !

old guys rule

Red Blown Sled
Established Member
All I hear from you guys is he's trappin this and he's trappin that. E.T.s give e.t.s if he's running maybe mid 14s and your running the e.t.s your supposed to it should be BUS LENGTHS. It aint about the speed its how quick you get there. Now either your L is a dog or you cant drive which is it. :nonono:

Last edited:

old guys rule

Red Blown Sled
Established Member
Easy let someone like you beat ya to the punch. And whats this crap he downshifted on the 3rd honk that proves it if nothing else young wonder.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread