We found there are 2 PCV's available.
The correct PCV is EV-279
EV-270 is no better than the stock 5.0 PCV

EV-279 is Brown
EV-270 is Blue

MikeLTDLX

Established Member
Shaun:

You recommend these in lieu of using a oil separator like a JLT? I already have one and it seems to be performing as advertised.

Mike

Shaun@AED

Different approach.
Slow the oiling issue at the source rather than catching it in a can.

RedfireV8

Established Member
Pull off your TB and look in the intake with a flash light.
Then make the call on picking one up or not.

I have...eeee. If you had just turned the car off and its cool outside, you can actually see the "fumes" from the oil burning off some.

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
We found there are 2 PCV's available.
The correct PCV is EV-279
EV-270 is no better than the stock 5.0 PCV

EV-279 is Brown
EV-270 is Blue

This post obviously contains important and useful information, but there's some kind of secret decoder ring that I don't have, so I can't figure it out.

Shaun, you've said on another thread that you were modifying GT500 PCV valves, but I can't find any other reference to them. What's the background to this?

SVTStampede

Established Member
Does this make a measurable difference? My 2000 Lightning had a PCV for a blower engine and it still sucked up a ton of oil.

I'm probably missing a thread where you went over this judging by people replying, just thought I'd ask.

01bluesnake

Established Member
If you have the PCV hooked up to a intake or vacuum, it will always pull in oil, just how the factory systems are. complete fix is to run open breathers or a good catch can setup to keep oil out of the intake. By placing a PCV with a smaller port on any car, you are increasing crank case pressures, and not helping the ultimate problem or getting rid of crank case pressure. There's been a ton of test run of pressures in the crank case, that when properly vented/released can actually allow hp gains which has been figured out a long time ago which im surprised nobody has brought up.

By placing a PCV with a smaller restriction, you may be doing a half way fix for oil in the intake which is a plus, but then you are also increasing crankcase pressure which is a negative. If anyone would like the correct way to fix the problem and help crankcase pressure ventilation, and good catch can setup is needed

Last edited:

Shaun@AED

If you have the PCV hooked up to a intake or vacuum, it will always pull in oil, just how the factory systems are. complete fix is to run open breathers or a good catch can setup to keep oil out of the intake. By placing a PCV with a smaller port on any car, you are increasing crank case pressures, and not helping the ultimate problem or getting rid of crank case pressure. There's been a ton of test run of pressures in the crank case, that when properly vented/released can actually allow hp gains which has been figured out a long time ago which im surprised nobody has brought up.

By placing a PCV with a smaller restriction, you may be doing a half way fix for oil in the intake which is a plus, but then you are also increasing crankcase pressure which is a negative. If anyone would like the correct way to fix the problem and help crankcase pressure ventilation, and good catch can setup is needed

Good to note, but the driver side VC has an open port to the CAI for WOT venting.

01bluesnake

Established Member
Good to note, but the driver side VC has an open port to the CAI for WOT venting.

Hi Shaun. Ya, i know your aware of that info, just don't want people to try and restrict the system to much as it's not good. Almost all cars i can think of usually have one open port and one controlled port(PCV) which they may do just in case the PCV fails and sticks closed and is also the control side for the pressure venting like you said out of WOT.

Last edited:

SILV03MustangGT

Han Brolo CDR 5.Broliance
Established Member
i just talked to ford to verify which one i ordered and they told me they ordered the 269 i told them i want the 279. what is the 269?

JAJ

Rapidly Losing Interest
Established Member
The PCV valve is a combination of a one-way valve and a calibrated orifice. In part-throttle operation, the difference in pressure between the intake manifold (vacuum) and the crankcase (atmospheric) holds the valve open and sucks crankcase gases through the orifice. The amount that goes through is presumably compensated for in the ECU somewhere. If you change the orifice, the compensation probably adjusts just fine - it's a small trim somewhere.

When you go WOT, then the one-way valve shuts so that air from the intake manifold can't flow back into the crankcase. If you're boosted, then this is particularly important.

So how does this affect oil mist going to the intake from the crankcase? Slower airflow will "carry" less oil. Whether it solves a problem on a particular engine depends on the engine. My engine is particularly dry - I had the intake manifold off a while ago and it showed no evidence of engine oil on the inside. Valves were clean too.

ViciousJay

Established Member
sorry for a revival of the thread but i just ordered mine through rockauto and the ev-279 shows up under both the gt500 and gt... kinda weird. Also one is $39 the ev-279 is only $16 so hopefully i got the right one

Users who are viewing this thread