GT500 blower options?

00WHTSC281

Established Member
My buddy just bought a 2010 GT500. It only has 1200 miles on it. He is wanting to upgrade the blower. The options he is considering are:
Snake bite kit for $1750. Claims plus 135hp.
The TVS blower. 2.3l I think? Claims 660 hp. $4500
A Whipple 2.9.claims 750hp.
$6000.
He has only about 7 grand to mod right now. So the cheaper the blower the more money he can put other places. The car will be more of a cruiser/show car, than a track or drag car. He will go to the track some and enjoys ”spirted driving”. I would like the opinions of some GT500 owners on what they like or did and why. I will be doing the install work for him. I told him to do the Whipple, but thats me. Any opinions would be great.
Thanks.
Sent from my HTC Glacier using Tapatalk 2

Kewlv8

Established Member
My buddy just bought a 2010 GT500. It only has 1200 miles on it. He is wanting to upgrade the blower. The options he is considering are:
Snake bite kit for $1750. Claims plus 135hp.
The TVS blower. 2.3l I think? Claims 660 hp. $4500
A Whipple 2.9.claims 750hp.
$6000.
He has only about 7 grand to mod right now. So the cheaper the blower the more money he can put other places. The car will be more of a cruiser/show car, than a track or drag car. He will go to the track some and enjoys ”spirted driving”. I would like the opinions of some GT500 owners on what they like or did and why. I will be doing the install work for him. I told him to do the Whipple, but thats me. Any opinions would be great.
Thanks.

I will go with the TVS over the Whipple. The TVS will have more torque at low RPMsm but lack the peak capability of the Whipple which is fine by me. I want to feel the power without being at redline. TVS has better fitment than the Whipple, no sealant needed, and no need to lower the motormounts. Also, the TVS will not need a fuel pump replacement, but as you said you are likely capped at 660-700HP. Go with the TVS, and put the rest into suspension and bling...... FWIW :thumbsup:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/svt-shelby-gt500-150/777616-vmp-tvs-2-9-whipple.html

Last edited:

00WHTSC281

Established Member
I will go with the TVS over the Whipple. The TVS will have more torque at low RPMsm but lack the peak capability of the Whipple which is fine by me. I want to feel the power without being at redline. TVS has better fitment than the Whipple, no sealant needed, and no need to lower the motormounts. Also, the TVS will not need a fuel pump replacement, but as you said you are likely capped at 660-700HP. Go with the TVS, and put the rest into suspension and bling...... FWIW :thumbsup:

http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/svt-shelby-gt500-150/777616-vmp-tvs-2-9-whipple.html

Thanks! Alot of good info in this thread. Ill show it to him. What you say makes good sense. He does NOT want to build the block. It also looks like it will be much easier to install. Good for me!

Kewlv8

Established Member
Thanks! Alot of good info in this thread. Ill show it to him. What you say makes good sense. He does NOT want to build the block. It also looks like it will be much easier to install. Good for me!

Enjoy, can't go wrong either way.

For the TVS, make sure you get with the 2.5 pulley already installed.

Last edited:

Kenne Bell

Established Member
If your buddy is planing anything more down the road tell him not to waste his time with the TVS...we have had customers replace those with our 2.8 and 3.6 kits and wished they had just started with a bigger better supercharger.

Last edited:

EllowViper

I have a 2.8H Kenne Bell blower that I'm considering selling off my Viper. Bought new a couple of years ago. Has about 10K miles on it. Black annodized. You'll need the shorter drive snout off your current blower since my Viper uses a very long one which I have to keep. $2k shipped.

VNMOUS1

Established Member
If your buddy is planing anything more down the road tell him not to wast his time with the TVS...we have had customers replace those with our 2.8 and 3.6 kits and wished they had just started with a bigger better supercharger.

:coolman:

bj

Spectre500

23yrs USAF RET
Established Member
TVS VS 2-9 or 3.6LC

Whats the cost offset to install a 2.9 or a 3.6LC vs a VMP 2.3

With the right Longtubes, Pully n tune Justins TVS should make close to 750hp.
I'd keep the coin and put my money it into cooling and susp mods.
Thats my 2 C.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Whats the cost offset to install a 2.9 or a 3.6LC vs a VMP 2.3

With the right Longtubes, Pully n tune Justins TVS should make close to 750hp.

The installation cost difference should be minimal, if at all. OP, read the bold part of the quote above carefully. Going that route, your friend'll probably be spending as much as a 2.9 Whipple and he'll be reaching the limits of the TVS. With the Whipple, he'll be starting at 750HP. Do the same longtubes, pulley and tune with the Whipple in place, he'll probably be getting near 900HP.

Your friend's stepping onto a slippery slope. Once he gets a taste of that power (with any of the choices) he's going to want MORE.:rockon:

shelbyman1

Established Member
I've been reading and reading.... haha. looks like 750rwhp is about the safe limit on 93 octane and a good tune?

00WHTSC281

Established Member
The installation cost difference should be minimal, if at all. OP, read the bold part of the quote above carefully. Going that route, your friend'll probably be spending as much as a 2.9 Whipple and he'll be reaching the limits of the TVS. With the Whipple, he'll be starting at 750HP. Do the same longtubes, pulley and tune with the Whipple in place, he'll probably be getting near 900HP.

Your friend's stepping onto a slippery slope. Once he gets a taste of that power (with any of the choices) he's going to want MORE.:rockon:

Ill do the labor for free. The parts prices is the only differance. He cant decide, lol! Driveability and reliability are important to him. How does the 2.9 Whipple compare on a dyno, as far as power curves? ie is the 2.3 more of a driver and the 2.9 a racer? I would like to say 750HP is enough. My poor car only makes 350rwhp!

cbr repsol

Established Member

ive done a 2.9 install on a gt500 the fittment issues u mention are b.s. is a very simple install if u read the instructions. The only two things that have to be done is the use of rtv
& u have to remove the dowl pins where the blower bolts down. The motor is not required to be dropped with a 2.9. Factory hood closes with no issues & we didnt have to change injectors or fuel pumps for 15#s of boost, Car made 650 rwhp on 91 pump.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Ill do the labor for free. The parts prices is the only differance. He cant decide, lol! Driveability and reliability are important to him. How does the 2.9 Whipple compare on a dyno, as far as power curves? ie is the 2.3 more of a driver and the 2.9 a racer? I would like to say 750HP is enough. My poor car only makes 350rwhp!

The Whipple 2.9 is a peach for daily driver duty. Keep in mind these guys singing praises about how much better a TVS is for making power are running relatively tiny pulleys. 2.4(5)" compared to the big ol' 3-incher that comes standard on the Whipple. Put the same tiny pulley on the Whipple and a TVS'd car will be toast, all else being equal.

466scj

Old School Stangbanger
Established Member
I have the 2.9 Whipple with Kooks headers,3'' exhaust,magnaflow mufflers.Very happy.Jon Lund tuned and i DID NOT have to lower the engine.Easy install i did myself.I wouldn't even consider the TVS.I always want more.Currently considering the 3.6 Whipple....just my opinion:)

Users who are viewing this thread