GT500 Axle Backs

redline5.0

Established Member
So I installed these bad boys and couldn't wait to hear them. Fire up the car and there really quiet which blew my mind because I'm running headers, o/r x pipe and no resonators. I watched some videos online and mine out of the box sound whisper mode compared to the videos I've watched. Do these get more audible as they break in or what?

gimmie11s

I Race Pontiacs
Established Member
Premium Member
lol quiet must definiely be a subjective term.

I have an O/R x along with JPC over axle pipes and GT500s and it's too loud for my tastes.

Mine did not get louder as they "broke in."

redline5.0

Established Member
lol quiet must definiely be a subjective term.

I have an O/R x along with JPC over axle pipes and GT500s and it's too loud for my tastes.

Mine did not get louder as they "broke in."

I'm talking slightly louder then the factory gt mufflers....I was speechless when I fired it up the first time....

Angry50

Established Member
i like them as they are not obnoxious, sounds good and still have some volume but not enough to make you nervous around cops
i had flowmaster outlaws and those got old

blackbeast12

Dr. Frankenstang
Established Member
I have kooks super street shorties, stainless works 3" off road x , kooks race bullet mufflers to replace the resonators, and gt-500 axlebacks. At idle its civil but when driving its loud. Its loud enough to turn heads even before i get to the persons listening. And wot its monstrous. I good measure of hearing your own sound is when passing cars on a two lane road, you can hear your car reverberate off the cars going by. Mine sounds like a race car!

redline5.0

Established Member
I have kooks super street shorties, stainless works 3" off road x , kooks race bullet mufflers to replace the resonators, and gt-500 axlebacks. At idle its civil but when driving its loud. Its loud enough to turn heads even before i get to the persons listening. And wot its monstrous. I good measure of hearing your own sound is when passing cars on a two lane road, you can hear your car reverberate off the cars going by. Mine sounds like a race car!

I'll try to get a video of mine, but mine sound broken compared to your description lol. Maybe I'm used too my ridiculously loud exhaust from before and expected to much.

red13

Established Member
Or h/ x plus gt500 sound like roush ab. I'm running cat delete gt500 and there loud. Poppy. I'm hoping X pipe smooths it out. Never liked H pipe.

redline5.0

Established Member
Either you guys are used to reeeeeallllly quiet cars if you think the gt500's are loud or I'm just used to realllllllly loud cars because I think there quiet as hell lol.

Way2QWK

Established Member
I thought they were way to quiet also when I put them on mine, but I also had stock h pipe. The sound was good but the volume was weak. Even after going to open boss side pipes, it's still to quiet for me.

Last edited:

jjd975

Established Member
I have orh and gt500 ab. It's a nice step up from stock but far from loud. Mine are poppy too. I like them though because there is little to no drone.

Rios302

Established Member
I only have GT500 axle backs and everything else is stock. The car has a nice sound at around 3-5k rpm but the sound is not aggressively loud but louder than stock. I used to run Roush axle backs and those sounded great. Since I can't run anything illegal in my car at the moment (it's a long story) I had to go back to something legal and the Gt500s were the perfect choice. I still miss the sound of the Roush axle back, the car sounded like a beast with them. The GT500s get you notice but nothing crazy. I might get a full Ford Racing axle back pretty soon though. It's made by borla, just cheaper and no drone just like the Roush Axle backs. Here are some of my personal videos for reference.

[video=youtube;tVlDw_Njj_4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVlDw_Njj_4&list=UU3YBEbYWUOCs7u_IHl9SU-Q[/video]

[video=youtube;YDPkZ4BTwB4]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YDPkZ4BTwB4&list=UU3YBEbYWUOCs7u_IHl9SU-Q&index=16[/video]

Riptide

Established Member
Either you guys are used to reeeeeallllly quiet cars if you think the gt500's are loud or I'm just used to realllllllly loud cars because I think there quiet as hell lol.
They're probably about a 4 on the scale 1-10 of really loud. Once you've been to the race track and heard race cars then they are definitely not even close to loud.

Mine are getting even quieter once I put resonators back in next spring. If straight pipes sounded good I'd be all over that. Unfortunately they sound like trash on these cars.

stang910

Established Member
Longtubes will probably give you the sound your looking for. They made a huge difference on my car when I had GT500's.

'14 Shelby

Established Member
I only have GT500 axle backs and everything else is stock. The car has a nice sound at around 3-5k rpm but the sound is not aggressively loud but louder than stock. I used to run Roush axle backs and those sounded great. Since I can't run anything illegal in my car at the moment (it's a long story) I had to go back to something legal and the Gt500s were the perfect choice. I still miss the sound of the Roush axle back, the car sounded like a beast with them. The GT500s get you notice but nothing crazy. I might get a full Ford Racing axle back pretty soon though. It's made by borla, just cheaper and no drone just like the Roush Axle backs. Here are some of my personal videos for reference.
These are fairly quiet. Mine with long tubes and 'hi-flow' catted X-pipe are noticeably louder

Users who are viewing this thread