Gt500 6r80 swap ????

Snoopy49

Established Member
LOL, maybe do some research before you run your mouth. They JUST put out their new controller that can control the 6R80. It is being tested on the 6R80 now. It is possible it may not meet their quality standards, but I highly doubt it, they put a lot of time and effort into the new controller.

Can you link to their website?

This is the latest controller listed on this website.

US Shift Quick 4 Transmission Control System
Featuring REVolution Architecture

Currently supports these popular transmissions:
•GM 4L60E, 4L65E, and 4L70E
•GM 4L80E and 4L85E
•Ford AOD-E, 4R70W (wide ratio AOD-E), and 4R75
•Ford E4OD and 4R100
•Ford 4R55E and 4R44E *

No mention of the 6R80.
More transmission support will be available in the near future. If you'd like to be alerted to new products and updates, subscribe to our newsletter.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
You da man as usual. Not sure if he's computer savvy but would be cool to get some project pics up, sounds killer.
Might be the guy HP Tuners was referencing.
-J
J

The guy that did this in the Fox Body is

Thunder Autosports
617 Industrial Avenue
Boyton Beach FL 33426
Ph 561 369-1711

Ask for Steve. It took him quite a bit of timing to figure out the wiring harness to do this conversion. Since he has done it once already, he is claiming it will be much easier. At this time he is talking about roughly 8 to 12 hours of labor to get the truck rewired for my friend, but my friend is doing a lot of other things at the same time. This truck should be very interesting once it is finished. He put a complete Crown Vic front suspension out of a police car in it, along with a Chris Alston 4 link in the rear with coil overs. A narrowed 9" housing fitted with 4.11 gears using Michelin PSS 345 tires for his street tire. The roof of the truck is low enough that a 6 foot tall person can see over the top of it. Eventually he will add a Procharger to make this thing really fly.

From what you're listing in parts you already have. I'd be willing to bet you can send him the harness to get your project up and running soon without spending a ton of money

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Can you link to their website?

This is the latest controller listed on this website.

•GM 4L80E and 4L85E
•Ford E4OD and 4R100
•Ford 4R55E and 4R44E *

No mention of the 6R80.
More transmission support will be available in the near future. If you'd like to be alerted to new products and updates, subscribe to our newsletter.

They know guys want a controller.

Today at 7:49 PM 07/20/15

Hello Brian,

You are right about this being a tough nut to crack!

As you can imagine, 6R80 is a very important project to us.
Unfortunately, it has taken us a while just to get our controller
platform ready to support it. Thankfully that work is now complete. In
the next few weeks, we will begin development on the 6R80, and hope to
be done later this year. However, it will be a month or so before we
know more about the timetable involved.

Thank you for your inquiry!

Best Regards,

Karl Baumann
Baumann Electronic Controls, LLC

The item in RED is one of the biggies for the 6R80, a I currently understand.

•GM 4L80E and 4L85E
•Ford E4OD and 4R100
•Ford 4R55E and 4R44E *

Representing the most intensive development project in our company's history, the Quick 4 is the industry standard in electronic transmission control. With all new exclusive features, its design is not evolutionary, but revolutionary.

•Advanced algorithms provide the highest level of shift control and synchronization, allowing you to maximize the performance of your combination.
•The most advanced torque converter clutch control available, with several actions available during shifts.
•Accushift ™ learning capability for the most accurate WOT shift points possible.
•Full line pressure control for each individual shift, providing superior shift quality.
•Adjustable throttle lift delay, overdrive shift delay, and ballistic throttle effect.
•Burnout mode prevents upshifts while "pedaling" the throttle.
•Up to 4 pre-loaded shift calibrations able to be selected on the fly.
•FLEX-SHIFT ™ Shifter re-mapping capability.
•Metric Support.
•Transmission slip detection.
•100hz high-resolution data logging.
•Dedicated 4wd options and features.
•Compact size gives you the freedom to install in tight areas (4.165 x 2.8 x 1.1 inches)
•And many more cutting-edge features seen here.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Well that is very incouraging. Not sure on the shift issue in red, but I do know that the factory shift strategy calls for shifts that are speed points not rpm. With as complicated as things are with current electronic drivetrain control, I'm sure it's looking at multiple inputs, but you can't simply call for a shift at a certain RPM in SCT like with other trans.
I'll give them a call this week to get on a list if possible.
-J

Bad Company

Established Member
One other thing you need to consider with the trans...............it needs a large oil to air cooler. It uses 1/2" diameter tubing and number 8 hose. Make sure if you're installing a street strip style torque converter that you have a large single pass oil cooler mounted out front to keep it from cooking itself. My buddy is using a 11 x 11 x 1 1/2 thick cooler rated at 59.000 BTUs . The way he is going to plumb it he will be able to add a second cooler if necessary if trans temps get out of hand in traffic. These transmissions have a high volume of oil going to the cooler at all times

Last edited:

hotford

Established Member
Glad to see....most have wanted this option for some time.I hope they figure this out,dont think the 4R70would be up for the task in the newer gen cars.

I would be down for this sawp in my shelby.........

LOL, maybe do some research before you run your mouth. They JUST put out their new controller that can control the 6R80. It is being tested on the 6R80 now. It is possible it may not meet their quality standards, but I highly doubt it, they put a lot of time and effort into the new controller.

Last edited:

HighTorque

Established Member
after seeing their turbo '14 gt run deep 8s on 20s with that trans, how can you argue? Price is high but that happens when you are the only game in town and 1000+ hp capable.
-j

agreed price is high but i will probably pay it once i hit 1000rwhp in my car.

TVS VERT

Established Member
Ive collected pretty much everything 6R80 trans, Auto 5.0 ECU, Auto Battery/trans harness, shift cable, pedal assy, ABS Module, cooling lines and cooler, flex plate and backing plate, gonna run a Circle D convertor only thing i need for the swap are the automatic shifter and console bezel.

Still debating if im gonna keep the trans in stock form or grab some exeddy clutches and a billet intermediate shaft while its on the floor.

The whole swap had like 36 miles on it, car was tboned while on a test drive.

SonicDTR

Wasn't me.
Established Member
Premium Member
Cool swap, but a 4r and PCS would be a whole lot simpler. Not sure how their shifting compares.

Someone on here had a build thread with his GT500 and BTS 4r100 swap.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member

Finally! That is great news from PA and my brother will be calling when they get back.

He has a good contact there from running their full option C4 for many years now, they've been great.

Ford is supposedly debuting the Coyote control pack for Auto trans at SEMA as well. I haven't seen anything written up about it, but that was what was rumored. For the guys that a stock style engine control will work, it will make for a nice sanitary OEM style install with the 6R80.
While this is great too, unless they change something, it is hard to tune the 6R through SCT or OEM programming as the shifts are not exact, as in pick a shift point and program it. It is complex but basically speedo based, so if you have wheelspin or other issues, the shift points can vary.

Having a programmer that just allows straightforward RPM points for specific gear changes would be ideal, hope the PA and maybe the FRPP does that.
If PA, Baumanator and maybe even FRPP have 6R control options, these swaps will get much easier and more common.
-J

Users who are viewing this thread