Gt500 6r80 swap ????

TVS VERT

Established Member
Good Evening Fellas, over this winter im gonna be doing a auto conversion on my shelby the plan is to find a complete low mileage swap from 11-14 Coyote. Aside from the obviously required 6r80 trans, shaft and converter what other smaller odds and ends parts are required to do the swap??

Planning on keeping the trans stock for 1st season with just a circle D converter

Also for those if any board members who have done the conversion what are the pros and cons aside from faster ET's lol

If someone has done the complete swap and has a complete parts list that would be awesome, as i want this to look like it was done from the factory im super particular kinda OCD :)

Thanks for your time

Dan

Catmonkey

I Void Warranties!
Established Member
Premium Member
Talk to BJ or Justin Starkey. Justin installed a six speed in his Shelby. I believe the transmission and conversion came from TCI.

Snoopy49

Established Member
By Auto Coyote ECU

Is that an aftermarket stand alone ECU or something Ford Racing has available. The reason I ask is that according to the service manual, the 6R80 in the Mustang is controlled by the same PCM that manages the engine. If that is the case, how do you plan to control the electronics on a GT500 with a Coyote PCM?

Randy5.0

Established Member
It's more involved than you might think. After talking to Frank at Power by the Hour, even I decided it would be better to let them do the whole thing. They want around $8500 up front for parts which are all new from Ford and around $6000 to complete the 6R80 swap. I really want to do this as well. I did speak to someone that had it done by PBH and he loves it. It's a 2011 TVS car running 9.80's.

Snoopy49

Established Member
It's more involved than you might think. After talking to Frank at Power by the Hour, even I decided it would be better to let them do the whole thing. They want around $8500 up front for parts which are all new from Ford and around $6000 to complete the 6R80 swap. I really want to do this as well. I did speak to someone that had it done by PBH and he loves it. It's a 2011 TVS car running 9.80's.

Was the 2011 TVS car a GT500 or a GT?

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
After selling my manual setup I have ~1,800 bucks in the swap in my GT with a Circle D 3B.

The swap in a coyote car wouldn't be a big deal. However on a GT500, some controlling issues may arise.

The only thing that works on our side is FORD is in the business of making money so the least amount of variations of a part they can manufacture and work for most/all vehicles, that's the route they will take. I'm sure it can be done using a factory ECU. Will be interesting to see the outcome and differences in the harnesses, ecu's, etc

Randy5.0

Established Member
It's a GT500[video=youtube;7zjUAsGcJEI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zjUAsGcJEI[/video]

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Subbing as we have a '14 5.0/6R sitting in my brother's '90 LX coupe. Will handle electronics this winter, hoping for someone to announce a 6R stand alone TCU at PRI.
Anyway, my good friend Scott's '11 GT with an early Roush TVS runs 9.50s on a 100% stock 6R/converter.
It is a VERY impressive trans, can only imagine what our GT500s would do with one--its the drag racer's dream.
Good luck.
-J

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
Subbing as we have a '14 5.0/6R sitting in my brother's '90 LX coupe. Will handle electronics this winter, hoping for someone to announce a 6R stand alone TCU at PRI.
Anyway, my good friend Scott's '11 GT with an early Roush TVS runs 9.50s on a 100% stock 6R/converter.
It is a VERY impressive trans, can only imagine what our GT500s would do with one--its the drag racer's dream.
Good luck.
-J

Check with baumann electronics and/or PATC. They had one in the making last time I spoke with them in June.

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
Quick check and the manual harnesses between the cars have different part numbers. The ECU's have different numbers.

The harness by pics show to connect to the steering rack and alternator as they do on the GT models. I think the biggest issue may be the compatibility of the ECU to the GT500's wiring on the engine control side. I would imagine a WYN3/4 ECU would be your best bet for controlling that beast.

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
I will also see if there's a way I can post the parts list I created through Microsoft word. On my phone so bear with me brethren

TVS VERT

Established Member
My understanding is that PBH has done several GT500 6R80 Auto conversions. Maybe someone from there camp can chime in on this??? I'll probaly call them direct tomorrow to see if they are willing to give up the secret lol.

But a stand alone Trans Controller would be quick and painless

Users who are viewing this thread