Gt500 6r80 swap ????

Bad Company

Established Member
Subbing as we have a '14 5.0/6R sitting in my brother's '90 LX coupe. Will handle electronics this winter, hoping for someone to announce a 6R stand alone TCU at PRI.
Anyway, my good friend Scott's '11 GT with an early Roush TVS runs 9.50s on a 100% stock 6R/converter.
It is a VERY impressive trans, can only imagine what our GT500s would do with one--its the drag racer's dream.
Good luck.
-J

J

I have a friend in FL that is in the process of dropping a Coyote & 6R80 in a 94 Lightening. He has a guy in FL that has done this with an early Fox Body and knows the wiring harness issues that need to be done to control everything with the Coyote PMC. I'll try to get you a name and number tomorrow. It isn't as bad as you'd think, as long as you have the wiring harness from the car that was the engine and trans donor.

Mainn

Established Member
Talk to BJ or Justin Starkey. Justin installed a six speed in his Shelby. I believe the transmission and conversion came from TCI.

The transmission that their GT500 ran was a TCI 6x, which is based off of the GM 4L80e. Although a good transmission...completely different to the 6R80!

As others have said, there's no standalone controller available yet for the 6R80, which makes the swap a lot more complicated. If you do end up doing it however, I would love to know what was involved!

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
V
J

I have a friend in FL that is in the process of dropping a Coyote & 6R80 in a 94 Lightening. He has a guy in FL that has done this with an early Fox Body and knows the wiring harness issues that need to be done to control everything with the Coyote PMC. I'll try to get you a name and number tomorrow. It isn't as bad as you'd think, as long as you have the wiring harness from the car that was the engine and trans donor.
Thanks Kurt.
I spoke with HP Tuners at NMRA Bradenton and someone who may have been referencing this guy. We have
The complete harness for the engine and trans ('14 F150 2wd) and the body harness from a '12 Roush. My brother swapped a Terminator into his '86 GT many years ago and will handle the wiring but any contact to discuss appreciated. I'll get pics up soon, everything is in car, just needs wiring and fuel.
-J

FORDMAN GT500

Established Member
V
Thanks Kurt.
I spoke with HP Tuners at NMRA Bradenton and someone who may have been referencing this guy. We have
The complete harness for the engine and trans ('14 F150 2wd) and the body harness from a '12 Roush. My brother swapped a Terminator into his '86 GT many years ago and will handle the wiring but any contact to discuss appreciated. I'll get pics up soon, everything is in car, just needs wiring and fuel.
-J

So the F-150 trans is the same ? Does it have to be a 4x2?
Thanks

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
Bauman is in testing with their new controller. If it pans out, will make everyone's life a lot easier for swaps.

Blown38

Established Member
A ford tech on the Marauder forum swapped the drivetrain with 6R80 from a F150 into his Marauder. Used the harness from the truck. Also retained the function of the Marauder speedo and tach using some kind of adapters/converters. Didn't take him all that long to complete.

HighTorque

Established Member
it's more involved than you might think. After talking to frank at power by the hour, even i decided it would be better to let them do the whole thing. They want around $8500 up front for parts which are all new from ford and around $6000 to complete the 6r80 swap. I really want to do this as well. I did speak to someone that had it done by pbh and he loves it. It's a 2011 tvs car running 9.80's.

so for $14,500 it gets completed but how much power can it handle?

jaiasmit

Established Member
IIRC the 6R80 will handle more power the 6060 that's in there stock. I've heard it will hold 1000+.

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
so for $14,500 it gets completed but how much power can it handle?

A friend and member here is going 9.50s at 140s with. 100% stock trans/converter.
Point is they're tough and can perform well. Still a way to have full shift control would be much easier as the stock shift programming is MPH/speed based, would be much easier to just pick RPM.
-J

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
A ford tech on the Marauder forum swapped the drivetrain with 6R80 from a F150 into his Marauder. Used the harness from the truck. Also retained the function of the Marauder speedo and tach using some kind of adapters/converters. Didn't take him all that long to complete.

Recently? Have a link? Or contact info?
-J

SignalZero

Eat mor Chikin
Established Member
Thanks

Yup. It's the same. Three minor differences but nothing internal or anything that changes functionality. Shifter bracket, shift lever and solenoid strategy. Already done the swap myself using a F150 4x2 5.0 6R80 and have select shift.

TVS VERT

Established Member
image.jpg

Friend of mine almost complete just waiting on a Lund Revised tune

Bad Company

Established Member
V
Thanks Kurt.
-J
J

The guy that did this in the Fox Body is

Thunder Autosports
617 Industrial Avenue
Boyton Beach FL 33426
Ph 561 369-1711

Ask for Steve. It took him quite a bit of timing to figure out the wiring harness to do this conversion. Since he has done it once already, he is claiming it will be much easier. At this time he is talking about roughly 8 to 12 hours of labor to get the truck rewired for my friend, but my friend is doing a lot of other things at the same time. This truck should be very interesting once it is finished. He put a complete Crown Vic front suspension out of a police car in it, along with a Chris Alston 4 link in the rear with coil overs. A narrowed 9" housing fitted with 4.11 gears using Michelin PSS 345 tires for his street tire. The roof of the truck is low enough that a 6 foot tall person can see over the top of it. Eventually he will add a Procharger to make this thing really fly.

From what you're listing in parts you already have. I'd be willing to bet you can send him the harness to get your project up and running soon without spending a ton of money

Bad Company

Established Member
Thanks
I'm not 100% positive on this answer, but I believe the internals are the same, but the lengths are different. My friend went through this and ended up buying the Coyote engine/trans out of a pick-up. I also know the front covers on the engine are different between the two, but can't remember why. He was going to swap the front cover over to the Mustang pieces eventually.

hotford

Established Member
Bauman is in testing with their new controller. If it pans out, will make everyone's life a lot easier for swaps.

I wouldnt hold my breath if i were you....they only have a stand alone for the 4R70W, nothing for the 5R555 and why wouldnt they try that one frist ....the 6R680......nah....only way this will work is if you swap out the pcm and run the coyote harness, have to reconfigure the firing order as they are different,lock out the VVT as the 5.4or5.8 are not cabable of running ,doable ya..gonna take some time to figure out......

I would like to see it as the set up would be killer...

only dodge and chevy offer auto on the factory supercharged cars....FORD was sleeping or didnt want to figure out the logistics behind it....

this is why they only offer the coyote swap in stick configuration........

Last edited:

Weather Man

Persistance Is A Bitch
Established Member
I wouldnt hold my breath if i were you....they only have a stand alone for the 4R70W, nothing for the 5R555 and why wouldnt they try that one frist ....the 6R680......nah....only way this will work is if you swap out the pcm and run the coyote harness, have to reconfigure the firing order as they are different,lock out the VVT as the 5.4or5.8 are not cabable of running ,doable ya..gonna take some time to figure out......

I would like to see it as the set up would be killer...

only dodge and chevy offer auto on the factory supercharged cars....FORD was sleeping or didnt want to figure out the logistics behind it....

this is why they only offer the coyote swap in stick configuration........

LOL, maybe do some research before you run your mouth. They JUST put out their new controller that can control the 6R80. It is being tested on the 6R80 now. It is possible it may not meet their quality standards, but I highly doubt it, they put a lot of time and effort into the new controller.

Users who are viewing this thread