GT350 Catches Fire on Road Course

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
So why didn't they open the hood to get at the fire? I get that it allows more oxygen to feed the fire but I have been through the same thing on 3 occasions in the shop and it will just keep burning unless you get the hood open to get directly at the flames. I've done the same thing trying not to open the hood and it just doesn't work, you can't get to it.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
So why didn't they open the hood to get at the fire? I get that it allows more oxygen to feed the fire but I have been through the same thing on 3 occasions in the shop and it will just keep burning unless you get the hood open to get directly at the flames. I've done the same thing trying not to open the hood and it just doesn't work, you can't get to it.

Wanna stick your hand into a potential fire? I mean I understand your comment, if a car I really cared about, I too would try to open the hood, in fact, I've even thought to quickly rip off my shift and use that to reach for the pop release.

But if a brand new car, that's fully insured, and it's done this before, and if you've already seen flames you know it's bad....might as well just make sure it's totaled. Let if burn.

olympic

Established Member

At 1:55 she pulls the hood release a bunch of times and at 2:10 she says it won't open so likely the release cable or latch got damaged.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Wanna stick your hand into a potential fire? I mean I understand your comment, if a car I really cared about, I too would try to open the hood, in fact, I've even thought to quickly rip off my shift and use that to reach for the pop release.

But if a brand new car, that's fully insured, and it's done this before, and if you've already seen flames you know it's bad....might as well just make sure it's totaled. Let if burn.

It is sketchy reaching in, especially when you think it something under there is going to burst open and flames will shoot out, but you have to because if you don't then it might actually explode at some point eventually if the whole car goes up. I didn't expect her to do it, but I figured the crew would have known how to get at it. Letting it total is a solid point though. I wasn't about to let a customer's Charger burn down our shop so I had no choice.

At 1:55 she pulls the hood release a bunch of times and at 2:10 she says it won't open so likely the release cable or latch got damaged.

I did see her say that but it didn't look like they really tried to open the hood from the front. If it feels like the latch won't pop then chances are it is already popped and you need to undo the latch at the front at that point.

I was just more curious if there is protocol the track follows in not opening the hoods in order to protect the crew or what. Just seemed like someone would have went for it.

Kevins89notch

Established Member
640,000 views, he's gunna be okay!

That's why these automotive YTers act the way they do with driving like an asshole on the street, pushing their car's limit, etc.

Bad result = views

You can't tell me this guy didn't think maybe this would happen. He had to have thought, "Well, Ford did the oil change last, worst case I get footage of it burning down and it goes viral."

Users who are viewing this thread