Grilling fanatics come on in!!

ademily87

Established Member
I searched and all I came back with was talks of mustang grills, so I assume there isn't another like this?

I know summer is coming to an end, but if you're an "all season patio chef" like myself, then the bbq season never ends :D

I figured I'd start a thread to see some of you all's set ups and secret recipes and techniques. From propane, to charcoal, to smokers, let us know what you do and how you do it!! If you post your grill setup, let us know how you like it!! Pros and cons and what not.

I'll start by showing a good "recipe" I learned from my father. If you like cabbage;

Take a head of cabbage and cut it in half and place it on a piece of heavy duty aluminum foil. Bring the foil up around the cabbage to make a "bowl" the shape of the cabbage.

ebe9e3uh.jpg

Then after removing the cabbage, BOOM!! You have a cabbage holder? Lol like so
hy7u3uma.jpg

Now take some bacon and line the bottom of your foil bowl!! I usually lay about two layers of bacon on the bottom. I also spray the bowl with some Pam too before laying the bacon in there.
4aqepyny.jpg

Now stick the cabbage back in the bowl on top of the bacon, flat side down of course. Then take about a half of stick of butter (i usually use about 3/4 of a stick) and press and smear it onto the top of the cabbage and make it look like a hat. Then sprinkle some salt and pepper on it or any other seasonings you wish to use and wrap it up then toss it on the grill!!!
3ejaqa7e.jpg

8amy5equ.jpg

My grill is far from an expert charcoal grill/smoker but it gets the job done. It's half gas half charcoal so my wife can use the gas side when she feels like grilling something if I'm not around. It's the Chargriller Duo with the optional off set smoker/fire box. It's good quality but far from the "real" smokers and what not.
3apaqudu.jpg

Let's see what ya got!!

Sent from my ADR6400L using Tapatalk 2

Uncle Meat

Zircon Encrusted Tweezers
Established Member
Big Green Egg is the shit! This will be my next grill! Expensive, but well worth it. I got a chance to use one at a friends house this past summer and I'm sold!!!!

U.M.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I really like that Big Green Egg setup. Your dad did a nice job with the table/stand. I like how he stained the end pieces to blend with the Big Green Egg. What material did he use for the top?

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
My wife got me a grill for my B-Day back in March, and we use it all the time. I did learn that it's better to boil your chicken(if it has bones) first, then toss it up on the grill.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Got the same grill as the OP, and it's great. Was actually my Brother in laws, and they moved into a Condo and he just gave it to me.

zporta

KB INSIDE
Established Member
I love grilling, I only have a small grill now due to the area I have to put it. My next house ill be looking into the double grill like the OP posted. Love having the choice of charcoal and gas.

My favorite thing of late is a beer can chicken. So simple but so delicious

charba951

BOOSTTD
Established Member
I love grilling, I only have a small grill now due to the area I have to put it. My next house ill be looking into the double grill like the OP posted. Love having the choice of charcoal and gas.

Do tell how to! I currently have a gas grill. I didn't even know that you can get a double grill! I love grilling on charcoal. I'll get some pics up when I get home.

N2DAMYSTIC

WAS THERE A BILL OF SALE
Established Member
Got the Duo as well and have abused the hell out of it. Gonna need another one real soon because the cost of replacement parts is not far off from buying a new one. You can get a great smoke going with them IMO. I just carted it up to the Phili / Giants game this weekend and smoked some chicken that marinated in Red Hot. It was a huge hit with everyone.

Another thing I smoked was string beans that were also a huge hit. Basically, and this works well with asparagus as well, I made a Foil Tray and smoked fresh string beans with grape tomatoes. I marinated them in olive oil with fresh chopped garlic, s&p, paprika and ground cardomom. They were awesome!

I am going to try the cabbage, that looks good!

Condor21

Established Member
I really like that Big Green Egg setup. Your dad did a nice job with the table/stand. I like how he stained the end pieces to blend with the Big Green Egg. What material did he use for the top?

The top is cement. He cut out the design and then poured and cured it in the garage lol.

Black0ut

Established Member
My grill is far from an expert charcoal grill/smoker but it gets the job done. It's half gas half charcoal so my wife can use the gas side when she feels like grilling something if I'm not around. It's the Chargriller Duo with the optional off set smoker/fire box. It's good quality but far from the "real" smokers and what not.
3apaqudu.jpg

Let's see what ya got!!

My buddy have the EXACT same set-up with the smoker box and all. We do ribs and pulled pork about once a month on it. Been using applewood and cherrywood lately. Results are phenomenal.

Anyone interested in getting their feet wet with a smoker while still being able to use a "grill" (propane side) than this is your starter! I think he got the whole set-up for around $350-$400.

Now OP.. How about a pic of the final product ;-) ... You've set us up; now knock us down!

gilby959798

Wyatt's daddy!
Established Member
I got a webber 22.5" kettle charcoal grill. It is just my wife and I and I grew up on charcoal. I grill all year. My pops just won a nice snap-on propane grill that looks like one of their huge tool boxes, its a pretty nice set up.

zak88lx

Future SVT *****
Established Member
I just got into charcoal grilling this season and I won't go back to propane.
I have a Weber Gold 22.5" charcoal grill, a Weber chimney starter and I use Kingsford original charcoal.

What are you guys using for charcoal?

BLU3VN0M

SVT Addict
Established Member
I cook on a big ole stainless steel Sterling Forge gas grill.. i've actually never cooked with charcoal before.. i wanna get one though.
One of my favorite things to cook on the grill are cuban burgers... make some big thick hamburger patties and cook them about 3/4 of the way done. The prep beforehand is key.. Cut some sheets of aluminum foil large enough to wrap all the way around the burger and spray them with a good coating of pam, get some of the really big buns. Mix some garlic powder (or real garlic w/ juice) with some mayo until your liking. slap it on the top and bottom of the bun, throw some swiss cheese on the bottom and top, a couple slices of ham, followed by the 3/4 cooked burger, then another slice of swiss on top of that. Put lettuce on top of the burger, then 1 or 2 sliced dill pickles and then the top bun (that has the cheese on it). Wrap the burger up tight in the aluminum foil and throw them back on the grill. It's best to use tongs because you end up cutting the foil with a spatula. Let it cook for just a few minutes (not long or you'll end up burning the bread, i've done it many times!). Right before the first flip, take a spatula and press down on the top of the burger as hard as you can, flip it and cook a few more minutes. Take them off, open it up, and you'll have one of the best burger's you'll ever put in your mouth. Careful though, they're messy!!!

jip

Established Member
I bought a Green Mountain Pellet grill and it is awesome!!You can cook ANYTHING on it!

ademily87

Established Member
Dads Big Green Egg smoker, with custom table and stand that he made/built himself.
551790_10100345537117938_1601344528_n.gif

I have never seen those before. I might have to do some research!!

I grill so much I replace my grills every 24 months.

Sounds about right to me!! Maybe less time actually...this is my 3rd grill since I got married in march of 09 haha

Got the same grill as the OP, and it's great. Was actually my Brother in laws, and they moved into a Condo and he just gave it to me.

Yea they're really good for the money. I got mine in June last year for only $218 or something like that with a free can of propane after all my coupons and sale price and military discount haha :beer:

Ooo I like beer can chicken myself. If you'll Google the recipe for Alabama White Bbq Sauce, you should give that a shot!! It's awesome on any type of meat, but I use it a lot on pork ribs and smoked chicken. It's a good vinegar based sauce.

My buddy have the EXACT same set-up with the smoker box and all. We do ribs and pulled pork about once a month on it. Been using applewood and cherrywood lately. Results are phenomenal.

Anyone interested in getting their feet wet with a smoker while still being able to use a "grill" (propane side) than this is your starter! I think he got the whole set-up for around $350-$400.

Now OP.. How about a pic of the final product ;-) ... You've set us up; now knock us down!

Haha I didn't even snap a picture of the final product. I was too tired by the time it was done so I just chopped it up and put it in a bowl and threw it in the fridge!!

I've smoked a few Boston butts and ribs on mine a time or two as well.
gunusyde.jpg

ebagu3aj.jpg

I just got into charcoal grilling this season and I won't go back to propane.
I have a Weber Gold 22.5" charcoal grill, a Weber chimney starter and I use Kingsford original charcoal.

What are you guys using for charcoal?

I use all natural lump (wood) charcoal without any chemicals or fuels in it. I have a chimney that is made to go on the side burner of my grill (far left in my pic in the first post, you can see it). Using it this way prevents the taste of the lighter fluid getting into the food and gives it a much better flavor, especially with steaks and wood coal.

Also I'll share what I treat myself to often now, and that is buying a live lobster and grilling it at home!! Goes great with a good rib eye, corn, and asparagus!! (after boiling it a few minutes to kill it first, of course)
7ute2a7a.jpg

4upy6a8u.jpg

I can share the steps to this as well if needed!! It's tasty!!

Also, I'm a medium rare steak kinda guy. What about yall?

B-O-B'03

Established Member
I have a Weber gas grill and a ceramic egg cooker that the wife got at Costco for my birthday.

The egg is awesome, you can grill, roast, smoke with it. I did a bone-in pork shoulder on it for 21 hours @ 250 degrees, never opened it once... came out perfect.

This year, for the 4th of July, I smoked a 13.5 lb brisket for 15 hours, pulled it off and put 13 lbs of ribs in it for 6 hours and then smoked a bunch of corn on the cob for an hour, no fuel was added, other than more wood chunks for smoke.

The brisket and ribs were double wrapped in foil, then in beach towels and put in a cooler, as soon as they were taken out of the egg, until everything else was ready. the crowd was raving about the meat, tender and moist.

Get an egg, you won't be disappointed.

For burgers and stuff, I just use the Weber, for nice steaks and lobster... the egg rules.

-Brian

alex3610

Established Member
Weber charcoal grill here too. The propane is convenient but you can beat the smokey charcoal flavor. I want to start experimenting with wood chips and smokers as well.

Users who are viewing this thread