Gotta Flat, I95, in the pouring rain

stangkid

Established Member
I would have it removed and patched on the inside then when its off you can see what the condition of the sidewall is on the inside.

phil123

Established Member
I bought Ford tire ESP this morning and my car is over a month old so it can be done. My 12 Mustang GT with the 19" Brembo wheels didn't have a spare.

Myfast70

Established Member
When I buy tires, I buy FOUR TIRES! Not one or two or three. FOUR TIRES, period. I'm not one to ride around on mismatched tires. And I'll be damned if I'm paying $1K+ for a set of tires when I can plug a hole and be perfectly fine. It's not like I'm (or the OP) trying to set a land speed record.

I normally buy my tires in pairs. For some reason the rears always wear out about 5-6 times faster than the front for some reason. I still can't figure it out :shrug:

So every time you wear out your rears you buy new fronts too? I could see how that gets spendy. :bash:

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
I just had this bad boy lodged in my tire. Many say plug/patch fix will be fine, but I'm not about to find out when I'm cranking down the interstate. Found me two lightly used Invos to replace the back, factory F1's for $100. It was going to cost me $400 to replace 1 F1...

Edit: Holy picture size. Not sure how to resize it. Somebody can help if they'd like.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Say what?!?! You replaced an F1 that only had a tiny nail puncture which could have been plugged or patched and been just fine AND the other rear which was perfect with $100 used tires for peace of mind?

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
Say what?!?! You replaced an F1 that only had a tiny nail puncture which could have been plugged or patched and been just fine AND the other rear which was perfect with $100 used tires for peace of mind?

And Nittos on the back and Goodyears in the front. I wonder where that peace of mind will be when he hits some standing water and the front end is doing one thing and the rear is doing another? Probably will be deposited in mushy pile on the driver's seat.:lol1: ;-)

nickf2005

Established Member
I asked the dealer and another tire shop about plug and patch, but neither place would do it. Said it was too close to the sidewall. Just going off what I've been told by the "experts".

93 347 Cobra

Established Member
I asked the dealer and another tire shop about plug and patch, but neither place would do it. Said it was too close to the sidewall. Just going off what I've been told by the "experts".

You're right, after looking at those pics again that is very close to the sidewall. Nittos DRs have ruined many well pampered Stangs I hope those aren't DRs. Do you really have that many miles that just buying a new F1 for the other side would be a serious tread depth mismatch?

nickf2005

Established Member
Long story short, last oil change the dealer rotated tires and I never noticed. So, when a back wheel got punctured, it was actually my 255/40 front tire. I bought 2 285/35 Invos since I thought I was replacing back tires. So, the dealer is buying me a new front tire, and I put the two Invos on the back already. Only 3500 miles on my car, so the different mileage on the front shouldn't be that much of a problem.

Users who are viewing this thread