Gotta Flat, I95, in the pouring rain

jtfx6552

Established Member
Yep, driving 70 mph, dash light comes on, get off the nearest exit, rr tire is flat. Pull into a gas station, try to add air, it comes out as fast as it is going in.

Didn't want to goo up inside the tire and , so I call for roadside assistance. they say about an hour, get a text from the tow company. I call and ask if they can pick up a car low to the ground, they say no, and back out. Ford sends another text, different company, says they will be there in about 90 minutes. I call them, same question, yes, no problem.

Guy gets there, says he can't pick up the car, too low. He leaves.

Ford calls me back, that can't figure out what car I have and why it has aftermarket ground effects on it. I tell them it is a factory GT500, nothing extra added.

They say they'll call around and find a company that can pick up a low car. They send me a text that the first company is coming??? WTF? I call them again, this time a different guy answers the phone and says they can pick it up.

Now three hours later, he gets there and we get it on the truck If my spoiler wasn't already marked up, it would have been afterwards. as it was, it didn't add any damage.

Towed to a dealer, they plug the tire. I'm not sure the tire is still safe, I think I drove about 3 to 5 miles on it flat, but after the plug it holds air got me home.

Who thinks I should replace the tire?

Last edited:

03Cobra05GT

Established Member
I wouldn't run a tire, plugged, patched or whatever on a car that makes this kind of power. To me, you are just asking for trouble one day when you go to get on it. I'd replace tire.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
OP, a plugged tire is just fine. I've used plugs plenty of times and have never had a problem with them. One time on this S10 SS that I had years ago, I got a two inch gash in the tire; front tire, at that. I was too broke to afford a replacement. I had just bought the tires a few weeks prior. I put the spare on and took the tire to a couple shops to see if they could fix it. Both said the cut was too close to the sidewall to patch. I went to Auto Zone and picked up a plug kit. Took a couple of those strips, crammed 'em up in there, checked for leaks, and never had a problem out of it all the way until the time I traded it in. The only thing was that I didn't get the rock or whatever it was that cut the tire from inside it. So every time I started driving slow, I could here it falling on the top of the wheel.

Anyway, I drove that truck very aggressively and never had a single leak out of the plug. So have no fear. You'll be just fine.

phil123

Established Member
You will hear opinions that plugs are fine and others that they aren't. If it was a Honda Civic I might take a chance, for my 662 HP Shelby I would put a new tire on.

mullens

Established Member
If I replaced a tire every time I ran over a nail I'd be broke. Check that the sidewall wasn't damaged by driving on it. If not, have it patched and call it a day.

blkGT500nCA

Established Member
A plug alone is alright, but if they pulled the wheel and patched it too, you're good to go.

GT Premi

Well known member
Established Member
You will hear opinions that plugs are fine and others that they aren't. If it was a Honda Civic I might take a chance, for my 662 HP Shelby I would put a new tire on.

That's just the paranoia gripping your chest.

jtfx6552

Established Member
Im not so much worried about the plug, but the tire hasn't been off, so there is no way to know if the inside of the sidewall got chewed up in the miles I drove on it. The outside of the sidewall looks ok.

Users who are viewing this thread