Got the '04 cobra seats in....

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Got the '04 cobra seats in....PICS NOW

Okay, I have a red with black interior '93 cobra. I installed the dark charcoal (dark inserts) '04 cobra seats. I don't have any pics yet (they're still on my phone), but I'll get them posted soon. I only have the front seats in as I'm debating whether I'm going to do the rears.

There has been a couple members curious as to how the seats fit, and whether a tall guy will have issues or not. I'm 6'3" so fitment or positioning was important to me. The seats do sit you up a bit more, but the biggest difference is the front of the seat. The original fox seats are reasonbly flat from your butt forward to the front of the seat under the steering wheel. The '04 seats are tilted back a lot. Where your butt is, it's about the same, but at the front of the seat it's several inches higher. There isn't even 1 inch between the steering wheel and my legs. If I use both hands to steer, I rub my legs as I turn with my knuckles (on sharp turns).

Overall, the support is awesome, and it feels so much sportier with the newer seats. The positioning is a bit different and took some time to get used to. If the car had tilt, it would be perfect. Being 6'3", I still fit comfortably, and my head is nowhere near the roof (sunroof car, which helps). My knees are also a good distance from the dash. If you're a bigger guy and have some beef on your legs, these seats are probably not for you.

It looks absolutely awesome. The dark grey and black doesn't contrast like I thought it would. It's hardly noticeable, if at all.

One of the reasons I like driving my '03 as much is because of the feel and support of the seats. This makes driving my '93 just as much fun.

You should be able to see in these pictures the angle the seat sits at, and the distance (or lack of) there is between the steering wheel and the front of the seat. The more I drive it, the more I'm used to it, but it's definitely not ideal.

post-5-1166471677.jpg

post-5-1166471701.jpg

post-5-1166471725.jpg

Last edited:

Mike93SVT

Savior of Junk
Established Member
can't wait to see the pics, i'm waiting to do the same to mine in the future :beer:

racerbox77

Established Member
only 1 inch between the wheel and your thighs? That seems like a very tight fit. Being 6'2 Im also wondering the fit. Would it be possible for you to take a pic of you in the seat? Also arent the 04 seats alot heavier?

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
I had them in my GT and had to pull them because they put me up way too high - my head severely hit the roof and I had trouble with my legs fitting. Keep in mind, I am 6'5 and a former bodybuilder so it may work no problem for others.

Seat11.jpg

Seat22.jpg

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
racerbox77 said:
only 1 inch between the wheel and your thighs? That seems like a very tight fit. Being 6'2 Im also wondering the fit. Would it be possible for you to take a pic of you in the seat? Also arent the 04 seats alot heavier?

The '03-04 seats are heavier but it's not by a whole lot.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Yeah, they bolt right in, but you do have to make a jumper harness to make the power work on the driver side.

The jumper is really easy to make if anyone needs a brief example let me know.

nealysa

Established Member
19COBRA93 said:
Yeah, they bolt right in, but you do have to make a jumper harness to make the power work on the driver side.

The jumper is really easy to make if anyone needs a brief example let me know.

If you get the chance, I could use an example. Thanks in advance.

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
It's really simple (although it took me over an hour to get it how I wanted).

Basically, the plug end that's on the '03-04 seat is a 4 wire female connector with male round terminals. The plug end that's on a '93 is a 2 wire male connector with female spade terminals. Obviously not a match.

Of the 4 wires on the newer seat, 3 are power, and one is a ground. The ground is a thick black wire. The rest are all power. I used 4 butt connectors that fit inside the female connector and plugged into the 4 male round terminals inside the connector. I then ran 3 inches of wire from the 3 power terminals into one male spade connector. Then another 3" wire from the ground terminal into another spade connector. I crimped and heat shrunk everything into a nice "jumper harness" then plugged it in on both ends. I don't remember which wire on the car is power, but a quick touch with a test light will tell you.

And here is a quick diagram. It's rough I know, but you should get the idea.

post-3-1166490564.jpg

Last edited:

19COBRA93

Tire shredder
Established Member
Nope, the rails won't interchange. I think you could mount the newer rails on the older seats, but not vise-versa. I think the biggest change was in the seat structure itself. The front bottom part of the seat is a lot thicker.

tunedin302

Runnin' with the devil
Established Member
So now what are you going to do with the rear seat? The 03-04 material can be made to fit relatively easily.

mblgjr

Pay Attention Boy!
Established Member
Hmm..any chance of slightly cutting/modifying the inner sector of the forward seat frame to bring it down a little?

Seats look great in the car!

Users who are viewing this thread