Got popped for no front plates.

2K4VENM

Setn off Ur Car Alarm!
Established Member
Well the inevitable finally happened this morning. On the way home from the gym I saw a black n' white in the rear view mirror. I immediately looked for cover and squeezed in behind another car so as to not let the cop see the front bumper which worked for a minute......... until the cop was on to me and proceeded to change lanes and do a quick okie doke and pull in behind me and BAM! Cherries and berries. :nonono:

Got a fix it ticket for $10 that I need to get signed off by a LEO. The whole time I sat there waiting for the cop to write my ticket I kept my fingers crossed that she would'nt ask me to raise my windows (5% tint). Luckily she didn't or it would have been my second tint ticket this year. Anyways, there is NO WAY I am drilling holes on my car so now I have the task of finding one of those plate holders that attaches to the heat exchanger. I hope that is good enough for the cop. :shrug: On the way home I counted 3 vettes with no plates. Come to think of it, do vettes ever run front plates?? :cuss:

rob177-1.jpg

Last edited:

Black Talon

KnightOfTheOldRepublic
Established Member
That sucks man. Thats why I still haven't tinted my windows. Everybody is like tint the windows, tint the f'in windows already. I have a note from my doctor to get out of window tint tickets but after they see that they just will wright me up for the front plate. So I figure it's one or the other.:shrug:

AaronK

Established Member
Yeah, I've been pulled over twice for it. I always get them dismissed. But it's still a waist of time going to the courthouse.

G2Mach1

Cameltosis
Established Member
Its law in Texas too and it sucks. However I dont think our cops would give a cheap $10 ticket... IMO why give them ANY reason to pull you over...?

2K4VENM

Setn off Ur Car Alarm!
Established Member
There have been times when a cop is across the intersection and I know they are looking right at me, yet don't pull me over. Guess it is hit or miss, or whether the cop is bored or not.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
CA is tough as far as front plates. As is TX. CT, though, doesn't enforce the law. And that was so nice when I had my Cobra. As a matter of fact, my dealer asked me ahead of time if I want them to drill the bumper and mount the plate. I said NO! LOL! The state allows dealers not to mount them if that is what the buyer wants. Strange law when it isn't even enforced.

RDJ

ZERO shits given
Established Member
Texas is pretty lax in their enforcement as well. Pretty much the only LEOs that ticket for no front plate are those that are having a bad day. Well those and the State troopers. The troopers seem to be the ones that ticket most often. I have lived in Texas for almost 10 years now and have not had a front plate on either of my Cobras and have only been stopped once. He gave me a ticket for no proof of insurance since I didn't have my card with me.

SB VENOM

Loves Boost
Established Member
Been pulled over about 4 times in the past few months for no front plate.... :bash:

California cops love to use that as their cause to pull you over...but each time after I give them a respectable attitude and inform them that I purchased the car a few months back and it had no front plate and that I am waiting for my custom plates they give me my info back and let me go scotch free just telling me to install them both when they arrive... Works everytime, but it is true I have been waiting for about 4 months because California also feels the need to deny my plates as being offensive :cuss:

Blueoval95

Established Member
do you have holes in your bumper for it??? if not tell them i dont come factory with it.. or mount your plate low in the front. round the cooler.. it is a gay law. we have it in IL too. or put the plate in the front window on the pass side. F*ck drilling holes in the front bumper

Last edited:

01SaleenS281

01-459
Established Member
Got a ticket here in Texas and ended up just paying the $80 versus actually mounting one. Will do the same if ticketed in the future. :shrug:

Black Talon

KnightOfTheOldRepublic
Established Member
I got a ticket for no front plate years ago in my lightning and didn't want to be harassed anymore so I drilled my front bumper mounted the plate. I wished I never would have done it. Later took the plate back off and plugged the holes.
Vowed I would never drill again. I will pay 100 tickets before I put A front plate on my cobra.

ThrottleJunkie

God Bless Silicone
Established Member
To answer the OP's second question, vettes RARELY run front plates. They have the little cover with the word "corvette" on it to appease state lawmakers, but they usually remain on the car. The one's that I have seen with front plates look ridiculous.

When I got hit a couple years ago, the cop on site asked me if I had a front plate for my BMW when he was inspecting the car. I simply said "no" and he replied with "you should" and left it at that. Cops are very lenient with tint/exhaust/plates/other little stuff like that around here. They have bigger issues to deal with.

EDIT: FWIW, I've been running my BMW without a front plate for 3 years now and have NEVER been hassled about it.

Disturbance

B.N.4279 ~ B.D.12/11/02
Established Member
Had my car for about 4 yrs. and last week I got my FIRST TICKET for no front plate and tint on the front windows :fm:(and the cop told me he was just going to get me for tint:nonono:) so I took the tint off and zip tied the plate to the front of the bumper and got the ticket signed off ..... then when I got home took the plate off and now I'm getting darker tint:beer:

edw794

Established Member
some officers have the ability to spot someone who is trying to evade their attention. they don't necessary see the equipment violation on your car as much as they notice your behavior in trying to avoid them.

Last edited:

Mike K

مسافر عالمي
Established Member
I don't know if it has been mentioned yet but, HBH makes a front bracket that bolts to your heat exchanger and your plate bolts onto that. I dont have a picture of my 03 that had the bracket on it but you dont have to drill holes in your bumper.

I think it is about $75-80 for the bracket.

corpsedub

Mighty Trust Krusher
Established Member
pay the full fiine on the ticket instead of the 10 write off. i have no front plates either and i have gotten one in the past. i aint puttin a front plate on.

langod

Cobra: The Anti-hybrid
Established Member
A Member on here -- TORQJNKY -- makes a front plate holder that requires no drilling and looks pretty good. I got one and just put it on this week. It's about $50. It clamps to the inside of the bumper cover above the H/E and holds the plate in front of the bumper. It's also easily removable for car shows, etc. I recommend it.
Check this thread:
http://www.svtperformance.com/forums/showthread.php?t=446974&page=2
The one in those pics is a prototype -- the ones he's selling are black anodized.

Users who are viewing this thread