Got a new 5.0, can't decide on exhaust.

torched06

Established Member
I installed the Roush exhaust on Sat, and I'm pretty disappointed with the way it sounds. It just seems as though there is no definition to the sound. I believe I may need something a bit throatier. Anybody have some suggestions??

dynasty_365

Established Member
Flowmaster outlaws is a throatier cleaner sound than the roush from what I've read. The roush is just sound just loud sound. I went with the flows cuz everywhere I read it said similar to the roush but cleaner and a deeper throaty sound. All flowmasters r pretty throaty to me IMO

11dsgGT

Established Member
I installed the Roush exhaust on Sat, and I'm pretty disappointed with the way it sounds. It just seems as though there is no definition to the sound. I believe I may need something a bit throatier. Anybody have some suggestions??

Same with me...I didnt like the roush at all, so I purchased Heartthrob mufflers. They seemed to have the right tone, but weren't loud enough. A pair of headers did the trick. :burnout:

PudgeTheMidget

Established Member
I heard/rode in one with the pypes axle-back the other night, it surprisingly sounded pretty mean. If I had a new one, that'd be the way I went.

Sent from my ADR6350 using Tapatalk

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
Said it before and I'll say it again. Inexpensive and great sounding.... GT500's with resonators deleted.

The sound increases in both volume and depth as you bring the RPM's up, as well as a definitive tone at WOT.

torched06

Established Member
Flowmaster outlaws is a throatier cleaner sound than the roush from what I've read. The roush is just sound just loud sound. I went with the flows cuz everywhere I read it said similar to the roush but cleaner and a deeper throaty sound. All flowmasters r pretty throaty to me IMO

I was in a toss-up between the outlaws and the roush. Everyone puts so much hype on the roush, so I went with them. Only thing that concerns me about the flowmaster, is too much of a tinny sound..

Strpperpolef150

Established Member
Said it before and I'll say it again. Inexpensive and great sounding.... GT500's with resonators deleted.

The sound increases in both volume and depth as you bring the RPM's up, as well as a definitive tone at WOT.

I was not impressed by the gt500s whatsoever. The setup I heard had o/r x pipe, and resonator delete but my borla's sounded 10x better. The only thing I like about the gt500s were the tips.

Red Turtle

ALWAYS WATCHING
Super Moderator
I was not impressed by the gt500s whatsoever. The setup I heard had o/r x pipe, and resonator delete but my borla's sounded 10x better. The only thing I like about the gt500s were the tips.

I agree, and I don't like that either. I think they get odd sounding when the resonators are removed along with an O/R pipe.

dynasty_365

Established Member
Welp. Doesn't help that the roush I bought have a broken weld. Gotta love exhaust leaks!

U aren't the first person that I've read about having broken welds on the roush exhaust

And man hell no to gt500's sooooo tired of people suggesting those barely louder than stock exhaust.

Stormsigma

Went from 6.0 to 5.0!
Established Member
U aren't the first person that I've read about having broken welds on the roush exhaust

And man hell no to gt500's sooooo tired of people suggesting those barely louder than stock exhaust.

They are a much better sound than stock. Loud? Not everyone is a punk kid who needs a super loud car to pathetically try to get peoples' attention across a mall parking lot. :shrug:

BlackDragon

Because Race Car...
Established Member
Heart throb cat to axle no resonators in stainless, magnaflow street axle back. Super deep rumbling idle, excellent classic v8 sound at wot. Not obnoxious, not raspy, but a very deep tone. Zero resonance.

Turbosixx

Established Member
The GT500's with OR-X is perfect on my car. I hate loud cars, especially if they're slow.

dynasty_365

Established Member
They are a much better sound than stock. Loud? Not everyone is a punk kid who needs a super loud car to pathetically try to get peoples' attention across a mall parking lot. :shrug:

Don't know any punk kids in my area with 5.0's. Down here only true enthusiast drive 5.0's the punk kids drive camaros. And I wasn't necessarily speaking on the loudness of them. I'm speaking as from I heard I don't like the sound of them. They r weak and that's my opinion. If u like them that's u. I know me and I know i like a deep throaty muscle sound and IMO gt500's aren't that

Last edited:

aquill1

Established Member
The video of gt500 a/b and resonators removed sounded a lot like my roush a/b sounds like, this could be the video playing games with my ears.

If you are going to go through the hassle of paying for a new a/b and then having someone hack up your exhaust by removing the resonators you should just buy a a/b or catback that makes you happy from the get-go.

I want to hear something other than my roush exhaust but the only other thing I've heard was some form of the full 3" magnaflow catback, and it sounded bad. Every time I mention wanting to change out my exhaust people say that what I have on there already sounds good (roush a/b.) I guess I need to have someone drive my car around and listen to it. I'd really like to go headers, high flow cats and gt500 a/b but money doesn't grow on trees.

Users who are viewing this thread