Good bye my old friend - put my dog to sleep

firemanmike

FIREMANMIKE
Established Member
So today was the day my wife and I have been dreading for some time now. We had to put our beloved dog, Cupid, to sleep. After 16 years of unconditional and unquestionable love and loyalty, she will be greatly missed. She was a great dog who gave us nothing but happiness and joy. From her welcome home tail wagging and kisses to her wild antics; playing fetch, chasing her tail, running after squirrels and birds and flying insects in the backyard, she was a trip. She loved to jump into the pool on a hot day and just lounge on a floating matt for hours on end. She was also a great companion, who knew when we were mad or upset, from the trials and tribulations of everyday life; she'd just come over and jump on the couch and just sit with you or lay her head on your leg and just keep you company. She made you feel good, just by being there. I cried like a baby when I had to take her into the vet's exam room to put her down. He said I could leave but I didn't want to do that to Cupid. I stayed with her until it was over and gave her a last kiss and rubbed her head like she had always enjoyed. My wife and I are both broken hearted. Worse yet is the pain I feel in being unable to console my wife. Seeing her cry and knowing that there's nothing I can do just tears me up. We both have a hole in our hearts which can never be filled. She was a great friend and member of the family who will be terribly missed by us all. Good bye my loyal and loving friend.

Last edited:

V3NMOUS

Old guy's rule!
Established Member
RIP Cupid. Sorry to hear. Dogs become woven into the fabric of our families so easily. I will be facing the same situation soon. Not looking forward to it.

svtfocus2cobra

Opprimere, Velocitas, Violentia Operandi
Established Member
Sorry to hear man. I came home and while I don't have a dog of my own, my best friend has a Giant Malamute that I love cause he's just the gentlest giant at 185lbs and he comes up past my waist. He's 9 now which is past hos time and he's struggling to get up and can't hold his bowels anymore. I just laid down with him when he couldn't get up and pet him cause I know it's probably the last time I'll see him alive.

VenomousDSG

Get ready to fly!
Established Member
Very sorry. Know the feeling, I had to put down my chocolate lab a few months ago. I cried like a baby for the first few days.

flS/R

Established Member
sad day is sad :'( These darn dogs really do become a part of the family

Zemedici

Established Member
Rip cupid. Sorry to hear man. I know your pain after having to put 4 dogs down myself(2 within 6 months of each other, 1 was on my birthday) Never a fun time. Remember she'll always be with you in spirit. Just try to support your wife the best you can, but unfortunately as you said there's not much you can do to ease the pain, the only thing that does so is time. I dread the day I've gotta put my husky to sleep.

It gets better man, I promise.

440sprint

Established Member
Comfort yourselves with memories of all the good times with Cupid, all the time for a while now.

That has helped me with all my pets when the inevitable end comes. They age fast, and their old age misery comes to an end at last!

The hole in your hearts will fluctuate in size but never disappear?

ssssnake

Established Member
I'm sorry for your loss. My Hunter is 14 and his hind legs are starting to go. I'm dreading that day. I'm glad you stayed with Cupid until the end.

Mr. Mach-ete

Liberals Suck
Established Member
Loosing pets might be as difficult to bear as loosing a child, sorry for your loss. What breed of dog was Cupid?

Cobra_Kid

Established Member
Sorry for your loss. If you don't have children, it's like your child. You can't imagine the love for your children.
I put down my lab in 2010... Still miss her.

INNOVATE_1

Part-time Dream Crusher
Established Member
Truly sorry to hear. My wife and I had to make the same decision and went through the same pain on July 11th. I still think about my baby Bo everyday. :(

Time heals all my friend.

I received this poem that is comforting to read. Hopefully you and your wife find the same.

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.
When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

Katy TX5.0

Established Member
My labs are litter mates and starting to get up there in age. Dreading the day when they go. I had a scare last month when my girl had a tumor removed which hurt me pretty bad.

Robert Francis

Established Member
I'm sorry to hear about the loss of your good friend and companion.

You can be consoled that you were with her to the very end and at the time of her greatest need. And that an angel sat upon her shoulder took away her spirit to where you and your wife will one day be reunited with her.

Users who are viewing this thread