Good bye my old friend - put my dog to sleep

James Snover

The Ill-Advised Physics Amplification Co
Established Member
Premium Member
Nothing lives forever. Learning that and being able to cope with it is a huge part of life. It's going to hurt, so the the point to focus on, in my mind, is what is this animal's life with our family going to give us? What is it going to teach us? Will having it in our family make us grow to be wiser?

Would you have traded the time you had with your dog to avoid the grief that came when it was time for it to pass on?

I struggle getting one for the kids when they get older because losing my dawgs has always been tough, it never gets easy.

This is basically the response I was going to type. I almost do not want a dog because they do not live long enough.

fake

Established Member
Sucks to hear. I had to put my Boxer down in July. She had a stroke right in front of me and I thought she was going to die right there in our back yard. I took her to the vet a few minutes later. She would look at me, but it was like I wasn't even there. My wife and I decided to have her put down at this point. I cried and cried. She is/was my kid (since we don't have kids yet). I had her cremated instead of burying her in the back yard.

2 months later and I still think about her everyday. I loved her very much... It's tough, that's for sure.

mjs1012

Established Member
Sorry to hear OP. I had to put my 5 year old boxer down last year and I still think about him every day.

allister

Established Member
:( I am sorry to hear. I dread the day that I'll be in your situation. Find peace in knowing they are no longer suffering, and your baby had one chance at a good life and you were lucky enough to be that one to provide it that!

One of the most unfair things in life is that dogs don't live longer than us. Sorry again to hear :( :(

oldmodman

Established Member
I am very sorry for you. I have had to put both my Pits down when they were failing. They both lived to be over 17, one to 19.

Hardest thing I can remember having to do. I have never been able to get another dog. Can't bear to go through that again.

But if you can take getting another puppy you should.

Torrance

Shenanigans!
Established Member
Sorry to hear, I just cant imagine...

My boxer is 12 and it gets me teary-eyed thinking about the day, because i know its sooner than later. I imagine I'll do the same; stay with her and hold her until the end.

NitrousExpress

Established Member
I'm sorry to hear that, keep your head up buddy, just remember you did what was best for the pup...I've had to do this with my dog that I had since I was 2, and a cat that I was close to as well...It's always tough man.

-Garrett

trxcobra

Established Member
Very sorry to hear OP. I can relate and I know that you are going through a difficult time. I had to do the same about a month ago to my beloved pitbull, Saki. She was young at only 9 years old. Developed a tumor in her stomach which there are no symptoms until it is basically too late unless we did chemo (which I am against). The vet gave her two weeks after she started acting funny and we brought her in. Exactly one week later she started to really lose her normal charm and we knew it was time. Still very sad to think about her, but it is part of life.
A friend of mine even made a poster for our garage of her, he had found her as a stray and was the reason she became such a huge part of our family!
aqabaman.jpg

Keep your head up and know that your pup is in a better place! Best wishes

Users who are viewing this thread