Going Big turbo...

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
So it has begun. I have decided to go big turbo and get a ATP Turbo kit for my car. I am going for a real sleeper look since I do not plan on lowering my car, no plans for intake, or a catback. I do not intend to try to maximize my setup, just want a clean, bolt-on setup where I don't have to drill holes in my bumper support or destroy the car. Plus, the fuel options aren't there yet.

Goal: 330 whp

So here are the parts I plan to put on the car:

ATP Turbo GTX2867R kit, rated up to 450hp
ATP Turbo Intercooler Kit includes map sensor elbow
ATP Turbo elbow pip w/flange for Tial BOV
ATP Turbo heat shield
Tial Q BOV
MRBP Catted Downpipe
Cobb AccessPort v2

I plan on ordering the turbo kit, intercooler, bov/elbow on the first of the month to catch one of these "tax season" deals (meh, I try to minimize my refund). Anyway, the downpipe came in today, here is a quick pic. Only other part I'm debating ordering after the initial install are hard charge pipes. I want to see how the stock ones do first.

I plan to get Speed_Demon's (his name on here) help to install the turbo at his shop.

Tuning: Update
I just purchased a used Cobb APv2 for $250 and will be paying $400 for remote tuning labor through FSWerks in Cali. He has done a few of these cars already and has already committed to real-time updates when I take the car to the dyno. I have found one local tuner, but he wants $1125 for a proprietary programmer and labor, but I can't pay that for me to be the "test car". FSWerks has been in the turbo focus game for a minute and others have reported good results.

I've decided to go with FreekTune Tuning for the big turbo. This guy is well known in the MazdaSpeed3 tuning world and has very high praises. Check him out at Freektune - Welcome but the only downside is you need to have the Cobb ATR software.

I will be sure to keep you guys informed of the progress.

Update 2-11-2014: Received ATP FMIC from Lethal Performance
ATP FMIC came in today. Pretty nice intercooler! Thanks Lethal!

Update 2-14-2014: ATP FMIC Install
Got started on the ATP FMIC install today...

Race Ramps FTW!

Bumper off, first time was a learning experience, but will be much easier in the future!

Stock FMIC out, shutters and rubber shroud out.

Stock vs. ATP FMIC

Resting in the stock charge pipes

Installed with brackets. Had to bend passenger side bracket to get it off hard A/C line. Very little clearance...kind of worried about it...may find something to put in there to prevent excess rubbing during driving.

Installed

Here is a data log with the new FMIC. This is a Cobb Stage 2 pull in 3rd gear with a shift to 4th.

datazap.me | stainlineho | ATP FMIC 3-4 Shift Cobb Stage 2

Feel free to check out all my logs on datazap. I will continually update my profile with logs.

2-19-2014 Update parts arrival:
Cobb Intake (Got 10% off from a Lethal sale!)

Cobb Short Shift Plate

Will update with install pics soon!

Cobb Intake and short shift bracket installed - it is set on 40% reduction. I love it. Perfect.

2-25-2014 Update: Turbo kit and BOV came in!!

Last edited:

TRBO VNM

I understand keeping with the brand name and using their intercooler, but you are doing all this and have an issue drilling two small holes in the bumper support that anyone else who would own the car in the future either would never see or wouldn't mind because of the upgraded intercooler?

Sorry, long question/statement, but that struck me as very odd from your post. Modding with a new turbo kit, but two hidden holes are an issue.

And congrats. Looking forward to your results. I keep telling myself I am done with power mods. LOL

blackvette101

Established Member
What are you doing with the stock K03/ exhaust manifold. if your interested in selling it I may be interested to see if it can be adapted to my Fiesta. Need pics though.

Hoppers04GT

Established Member
Would love to see this in person once its finished. Im having the hardest time keeping mine stock lol. Good luck!

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
Well intercooler plans may change. I may just invest in the full CP-E kit with charge pipes with Bov flange. Their "Exhale" cold charge pipe system. I'll probably be placing my next order for parts in 2-3 weeks after I evaluate various sales and my FMIC options. Once the parts come in I'll have more pics!

Eric@jpc

Established Member
Well intercooler plans may change. I may just invest in the full CP-E kit with charge pipes with Bov flange. Their "Exhale" cold charge pipe system. I'll probably be placing my next order for parts in 2-3 weeks after I evaluate various sales and my FMIC options. Once the parts come in I'll have more pics!

Nice choice we have done a lot with CPE over the years.
I saw all the R and D they did on that intercooler setup Its a huge core

If you need any help with it let me know!

Smacked_in_ATL

Stock!
Established Member
Nice choice we have done a lot with CPE over the years.
I saw all the R and D they did on that intercooler setup Its a huge core

If you need any help with it let me know!

I have decided to stick with the stock pipes for now...might upgrade the clamps, may not...

Going to be an awesome project, can't wait to help out where we can!

Thanks John. Your response to my PM is unfortunate by I understand business is business.

I just placed an order with you guys for the ATP Intercooler...will probably use my points towards a shiny new BOV from you guys too...

I left ya a short note on my order, lol...thanks!

Users who are viewing this thread