Gmail or Yahoo Email Service. Which has best spam filters?

jrandy

Established Member
Gmail all the way.

Another thing that I do is use multiple email addresses, depending on what I'm doing. I have one personal that is used for email communications, one for forums, accounts, and purchases, and my work email.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Those of you who use Gmail, do you use an email client for local access (ie. Outlook)? Or do you do all of your email reading/generating online?

I ask because Gmail won't allow POP accounts through a client like Outlook. Only IMAP. And that's a problem for me. So because of that, I'm not going to be able to use my Gmail account with Outlook because of the way I save some emails on some computers and not on others. I hate IMAP!

earico

It's 4:20 somewhere...
Established Member
Those of you who use Gmail, do you use an email client for local access (ie. Outlook)? Or do you do all of your email reading/generating online?

I ask because Gmail won't allow POP accounts through a client like Outlook. Only IMAP. And that's a problem for me. So because of that, I'm not going to be able to use my Gmail account with Outlook because of the way I save some emails on some computers and not on others. I hate IMAP!

I used to use POP with Outlook but since I've switched to Gmail I don't and I should have switched a long time ago.

I use Chrome to check my email at my computers and my phone when on the go. It syncs across all devices perfectly. I can start a draft on my computer and finish it on my phone because it syncs the draft in real time up in the cloud. I save all my emails in folders in the cloud too. If I have a really import email I need saved on a hard drive I simply print it to PDF. Think of your email client being in the cloud and your devices just access it thru the internet and manipulate it.

Have you seen this? I think you can use POP and it will just download to your Outlook client software and delete it out of your inbox on their server. Read Gmail messages on other email clients using POP - Gmail Help

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
I did see that info you linked me to, but it doesn't work. I called Apple and the agent was familiar with Gmail. She confirmed that when you set up an Outlook email account (hard drive based) you can ONLY do IMAP. When you select POP, it won't log in to the Gmail account. If you select Google as the account, it always creates an IMAP account. Seems silly that Google allows you to set up your Gmail account for POP and not allow IMAP, but when you set up an account in Outlook (PC) or Mail (Apple), you can only use IMAP. :mad:

So I'm going to have all of my personal email (Gmail) go to the cloud (Gmail), and only my business email (different email address) will go to my Outlook program on my business PC. Is that a common practice?

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
By the way, the reason why I can't use IMAP with Outlook and Mail (Apple) is because on the MacBook Pro I only keep very important emails in Mail folders. This is with the [email protected] email address. On the PC, I store a lot more emails because it's my main computer. I would say 10% of the 'cobrabob' emails that go to my Cox mail server are saved on my MacBook Pro. And maybe 60% of those emails are saved on my PC in Outlook. With IMAP, if I delete an email on my Mac, it will delete that email from the server and if I haven't yet opened it on my PC, it will not appear. That's why I hate IMAP. Maybe my practice of never checking my email on the cloud (always local on my computers with email apps) is not common. Which is why I asked it is common, say, to use my Chrome browser to check my email, which is what I'm now doing with my new Gmail account. I won't even set up a Gmail email account in Outlook or Mail (Apple) to ensure I don't inadvertently delete an email.

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
This seems way complicated. My stuff has been fine for the last 20 some years. I do have a work email that is held by the company that does the company website, and I need to check on the specifics of that before I let y’all know what’s, what. No issues there either, but they’re a PITA, but good. NYC based.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
It could be, Brad. I've never used my browser to check email. I always have used a local email client/app (Outlook, Apple Mail). Reason being I save a lot of my emails in folders. You can't really do that online with Gmail. This system just works really well for me because of that.

I have another question related to IMAP. If you move an email from the Inbox (Outlook) to an Outlook email folder, and then delete that email from the email server (Gmail) Inbox, would the email you moved to the folder be deleted? I know it would if it was in the Gmail Inbox, but what about if it's in a folder. I'm thinking it wouldn't be deleted, and if that's true, I only have to be mindful to move my email from the Outlook Inbox into Outlook folders before deleting any email from my other computer.

earico

Established Member
Bob,

You can save mail in Gmail in folders. I must have over a hundred folders and subfolders in my Gmail that I access with my Chrome browser or my Gmail app on my phone. It's all kept on the Gmail server.

One tip for you would be to turn off conversation view. This will allow you to select individual emails and move them out of your inbox into folders. You have to change the conversation view on your Chrome browser and phone app. I'm saying do it in both places.

_Snake_

Established Member
I did see that info you linked me to, but it doesn't work. I called Apple and the agent was familiar with Gmail. She confirmed that when you set up an Outlook email account (hard drive based) you can ONLY do IMAP. When you select POP, it won't log in to the Gmail account. If you select Google as the account, it always creates an IMAP account. Seems silly that Google allows you to set up your Gmail account for POP and not allow IMAP, but when you set up an account in Outlook (PC) or Mail (Apple), you can only use IMAP. :mad:

So I'm going to have all of my personal email (Gmail) go to the cloud (Gmail), and only my business email (different email address) will go to my Outlook program on my business PC. Is that a common practice?

Yes

earico

Established Member
Untitled.jpg

That's a screenshot of the folders in Gmail. Every folder is full of emails I have saved for my records.

The only downside to Gmail is that you cannot move an email from your SENT folder to a custom folder. This is going to be long but I'll try to make is simple. You can move a sent email "XYZ" to your inbox. Then you can move it from there to a custom folder. Problem is it's still really in your sent folder. So later on when you do your ever so often select all and clear out (delete) the emails in your sent folder that email "XYZ" that you moved gets deleted out of the custom folder. THIS ONLY HAPPENS WITH SENT EMAILS. Emails that come into your inbox don't have this problem.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Bob,

You can save mail in Gmail in folders. I must have over a hundred folders and subfolders in my Gmail that I access with my Chrome browser or my Gmail app on my phone. It's all kept on the Gmail server.

One tip for you would be to turn off conversation view. This will allow you to select individual emails and move them out of your inbox into folders. You have to change the conversation view on your Chrome browser and phone app. I'm saying do it in both places.
Thanks. I did create "labels/folders", and I found the Move button so that I can move an email from the Inbox into a Folder if I so choose. Thanks!

earico

Established Member
Thanks. I did create "labels/folders" but got confused because unlike in Outlook, you apparently cannot physically move an email from your Gmail Inbox to the Folder. Which means you end up with a large Inbox. Not a big deal, really, just messy. I wish Google allowed you to actually move the labeled email into a created folder. It is really doing a Copy into the folder. But again, not a big deal. I just like things tidy and organized, which is why I use Outlook 365 to handle the bulk of my email vs. using the Internet to browse email. My Outook Inbox only now shows 12 emails. All the other emails that I've saved are in folders.

You aren't reading what I am typing. You can absolutely move an email from your INBOX into a FOLDER. It will then be gone from the inbox.

1) Go into the settings and turn off Conversation view (this makes it more like Outlook)
2) Make a folder
3) Go to your inbox and click an email to open it.
4) Click the icon that looks like a folder with an arrow point right. It's in the bar right above the subject title of the email.
5) Pick the folder you made. Done.

earico

Established Member
Thanks. I did create "labels/folders", and I found the Move button so that I can move an email from the Inbox into a Folder if I so choose. Thanks!

I see you did a ninja edit or something. LOL. Glad you got it figured out!

I feel your struggle. I used Outlook for over a decade. About 4 years ago I switched to Gmail and at first I was frustrated just like you. In the end after researching and trial and error I figured it out. Now I wish I'd have made the switch much sooner. Being able to have the exact same email data on my desktop, laptop, phone or family member's PC synced up in real time is amazing. I have started emails at home and didn't have time to finish them before I left. Hit the road while the wife is driving and finish them on my phone and send it.

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
View attachment 1521684

That's a screenshot of the folders in Gmail. Every folder is full of emails I have saved for my records.

The only downside to Gmail is that you cannot move an email from your SENT folder to a custom folder. This is going to be long but I'll try to make is simple. You can move a sent email "XYZ" to your inbox. Then you can move it from there to a custom folder. Problem is it's still really in your sent folder. So later on when you do your ever so often select all and clear out (delete) the emails in your sent folder that email "XYZ" that you moved gets deleted out of the custom folder. THIS ONLY HAPPENS WITH SENT EMAILS. Emails that come into your inbox don't have this problem.
Your screen looks different from mine. On some of yours, there are Reply and Forward symbols to the right of the box & star symbols. I replied to an email to see if it would show, indicating I had replied to the email, but nothing. Am I missing something?
You aren't reading what I am typing. You can absolutely move an email from your INBOX into a FOLDER. It will then be gone from the inbox.

1) Go into the settings and turn off Conversation view (this makes it more like Outlook)
2) Make a folder
3) Go to your inbox and click an email to open it.
4) Click the icon that looks like a folder with an arrow point right. It's in the bar right above the subject title of the email.
5) Pick the folder you made. Done.
I'm getting more and more familiar with Gmail, and I like it more and more. I've got my Gmail page configured nicely with a slew of folders. Thanks again for the assist!

earico

Established Member
Your screen looks different from mine. On some of yours, there are Reply and Forward symbols to the right of the box & star symbols. I replied to an email to see if it would show, indicating I had replied to the email, but nothing. Am I missing something?

I'm getting more and more familiar with Gmail, and I like it more and more. I've got my Gmail page configured nicely with a slew of folders. Thanks again for the assist!

Hmm not sure why your symbols don't show up. Did you turn off conversation view? Also there are chrome extensions you can add for use with Gmail. I have one called "Checker Plus".

You're welcome Bob. Glad I was able to help you out. I've been there once and know how frustrated you were. One other thing I like is you can read an email but hit the mark as unread button. Then it shows up as you never read it on all your devices. This is handy especially if you read it on your phone on the go but want to see it as unread to remind you to about it when you get to your PC again.

Last edited:

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Hmm not sure why your symbols don't show up. Did you turn off conversation view? Also there are chrome extensions you can add for use with Gmail. I have one called "Checker Plus".

You're welcome Bob. Glad I was able to help you out. I've been there once and know how frustrated you were. One other thing I like is you can read an email but hit the mark as unread button. Then it shows up as you never read it on all your devices. This is handy especially if you read it on your phone on the go but want to see it as unread to remind you to about it when you get to your PC again.

Yes, I did turn off Conversation View. I’m able to easily move emails into my folders. I’m still learning the interface. I worked all day today updating all the sites that send me email with my new addy. Very time consuming but it’s now done. I had a good list of them all which saved some time. Switching to a new email address requires patience, planning, and time.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

earico

Established Member
Good job and happy gmailing.

That extension I meantioned gives you desktop notifications on your PC

CobraBob

Authorized Vendor
Established Member
Premium Member
Single Barrel Sirs
Thanks for the Checker Plus extension recommendation. I'm checking it out right now. VERY high user rating.

OETKB

bad attitude
Established Member
Lots of long posts. TLDR. I used Outlook faithfully for 15 years as a business tool until a few years ago when I finally bought an Apple computer. Even Apple's email client gets bogged down and I now just access gmail on Google's servers.

Creepy, I know.

Users who are viewing this thread