Global time

GodStang

Established Member
I am all for this. It would take you what a month to adjust to your new time. For the most part your biological clocks would still feel the same you just would have to realize I am going to at 9:30 GMT instead of 5:30 EST.

08mojo

Established Member
I agree to get rid of DST, but I do not agree with a singular, world time. It solves nothing--it is a solution looking for a problem.

Regardless of what your watch says, you would still have to think about what period of the day people are currently experiencing across the globe--only now you have no reference. For example: it is 7:30am EST. I need to call someone in PST--it is currently 4:30am PST. I know 4:30 in the morning is not an appropriate time to call someone. If we had singular time, you'd still have to think about what time is appropriate to call, but you'd have learn to call CA at 1100 because that's when their day starts. You'd have to do that for every time zone--but with no real reference. Time zones make it easy to understand what part of the day someone is experiencing for any part of the globe.

The time zones are there because humans are, for the majority, not nocturnal. Most people start their day in the morning (based on the sun) and end their day in the evening--again based on the sun. That's why we have time zones--it is a simple reference to when the sun is present all around the world. I'd assume it's been this way for all mankind since the beginning of history.

We recently traveled to Japan. Our watches were adjusted accordingly--and it was really easy to add 14 hours to determine what time it was back home. It was nice to wake up in Japan at 7:00am and see the sun come up--just as it does around the world. It was nice to see 12:00 noon and be ready for lunch--just as I would back home. Etc...

Singular, global time would not fix jet lag or anything else. You'd still be chasing the sun--regardless of what your watch says.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
I agree to get rid of DST, but I do not agree with a singular, world time. It solves nothing--it is a solution looking for a problem.

Regardless of what your watch says, you would still have to think about what period of the day people are currently experiencing across the globe--only now you have no reference. For example: it is 7:30am EST. I need to call someone in PST--it is currently 4:30am PST. I know 4:30 in the morning is not an appropriate time to call someone. If we had singular time, you'd still have to think about what time is appropriate to call, but you'd have learn to call CA at 1100 because that's when their day starts. You'd have to do that for every time zone--but with no real reference. Time zones make it easy to understand what part of the day someone is experiencing for any part of the globe.

The time zones are there because humans are, for the majority, not nocturnal. Most people start their day in the morning (based on the sun) and end their day in the evening--again based on the sun. That's why we have time zones--it is a simple reference to when the sun is present all around the world. I'd assume it's been this way for all mankind since the beginning of history.

We recently traveled to Japan. Our watches were adjusted accordingly--and it was really easy to add 14 hours to determine what time it was back home. It was nice to wake up in Japan at 7:00am and see the sun come up--just as it does around the world. It was nice to see 12:00 noon and be ready for lunch--just as I would back home. Etc...

Singular, global time would not fix jet lag or anything else. You'd still be chasing the sun--regardless of what your watch says.
If you have seen the number of global events that I have seen, the mistakes made by time conversion and confusion of time zones would be eliminated and fix problems that occur everyday.

It would be a challenge but I suspect we are too lazy to ever go forward with a fix to a system that is confusing at best. I used the 30 minute example in an earlier post. Who does that? Oh, Afghanistan.

The concept of it being in the middle of the night would not exist as you mention. Or perhaps it would be redefined.

What would work is airlines, international travel, military schedules, maritime schedules and international transport. I could go on but unless you have never been mixed up or seen important things across the globe happen because of time zone fiascos there would be no need to change.

The one thing that would be nice is when Bayern Munich plays a game at 0300 global time, I would not miss it because of silly time zones.

BME

KING
Established Member
Mojo - You make a good point on the surface, but when you really think about it, it is all just a point of reference. Either A) You knew that they were three hours behind, so you would not call, Or B) You had to look up their timezone and you would realize that it was not an appropriate time to call.

While I agree that it is a solution looking for a problem, there still are some real world benefits. I doubt this change ever takes effect tho since it is such a culture shock.

08mojo

Established Member
If you have seen the number of global events that I have seen, the mistakes made by time conversion and confusion of time zones would be eliminated and fix problems that occur everyday.

What events have you seen? Converting time zones is stupid easy...

It would be a challenge but I suspect we are too lazy to ever go forward with a fix to a system that is confusing at best. I used the 30 minute example in an earlier post. Who does that? Oh, Afghanistan.

Again, you have a solution looking for a problem. The system currently in place is not confusing, at all. It involves knowing your location and a simple addition or subtraction.

The concept of it being in the middle of the night would not exist as you mention. Or perhaps it would be redefined.

The time of day follows the sun. That is what makes it easy to understand. It's dark at midnight everywhere on the globe and it's daylight at noon everywhere on the globe.

As you say: the numbers on the clock are arbitrary. So why would it make more sense to have it be dark at 1200 noon some places and daylight in others? Why would it make sense for the normal work day to start at 0800 on the east coast and 1100 on the west coast?

You'd have to memorize (or look up) the daylight hours for everywhere across the globe. To me, that is way more confusing than the current system.

What would work is airlines, international travel, military schedules, maritime schedules and international transport. I could go on but unless you have never been mixed up or seen important things across the globe happen because of time zone fiascos there would be no need to change.

Again, what things are being mixed up due to simple time conversion mistakes? It's not very hard to say we are meeting at 1:00pm EST. I could see the desire for everyone to got to a 24-hour clock format, that would at least clear up the confusion between AM and PM. If it's important military actions you are referring to, there is already a global time in place for that and everything else you mentioned...

Zulu time is global time--it's the same for everyone and does not follow DST. The people that need to work off global time use Zulu time. The solution is already there for those who cannot convert time zones or need to eliminate the possibility time zone confusion.

The one thing that would be nice is when Bayern Munich plays a game at 0300 global time, I would not miss it because of silly time zones.

Time zones are not silly. Time zones are based on the universe--they follow the sun. What would be silly is for man to base time on something completely arbitrary, which is what you are proposing.

08mojo

Established Member
Mojo - You make a good point on the surface, but when you really think about it, it is all just a point of reference. Either A) You knew that they were three hours behind, so you would not call, Or B) You had to look up their timezone and you would realize that it was not an appropriate time to call.

While I agree that it is a solution looking for a problem, there still are some real world benefits. I doubt this change ever takes effect tho since it is such a culture shock.

Exactly right, it is a point of reference based on the sun. With the current system, the normal work day starts at 8:00--around the globe because that is a daylight hour everywhere. With global, singular time that reference is gone. Now the normal work day starts at 0100, 0300, 0400, etc...there is no reference. What would the normal hours be? Is 0100 light or dark? Is it work hours or the middle of the night? Is it breakfast or dinner?

It's more confusing because now you have to know that 0800 is okay on the east coast, and you'd also have to know that 1100 is okay on the west coast. You're still 'converting' times based on where you are, but the common reference of where the sun is in the sky is gone.

nxhappy

Established Member
I HATE getting calls from FL

me at 4am: Sorry, I'll call you in 3 hours ....click

Coiled03

Established Member
I didn't realize people have such difficulty adjusting their clocks a whole hour, or doing simple math to convert to another time zone.

Who knew?

Kiohtee

Established Member
I didn't realize people have such difficulty adjusting their clocks a whole hour, or doing simple math to convert to another time zone.

Who knew?

You live in the day and age where gender and bathroom designation is up for debate. Is this really that surprising?

I'm for trashing DST because in the winter months, it's garbage never having daylight to get stuff done. Especially with a little one who likes to play outside.

08mojo

Established Member
You live in the day and age where gender and bathroom designation is up for debate. Is this really that surprising?

I'm for trashing DST because in the winter months, it's garbage never having daylight to get stuff done. Especially with a little one who likes to play outside.

We are currently in DST. Time during the winter is standard time, so DST does not get you more daylight hours after work during the winter months. DST makes even less sense now, right?

Kiohtee

Established Member
We are currently in DST. Time during the winter is standard time, so DST does not get you more daylight hours after work during the winter months. DST makes even less sense now, right?

I blame DST for the confusion. Lmao

I just meant the general principle of going forward and falling backwards. Hate it.

Never_Enough

Established Member

Who knew?
It's more about losing the daylight hours that are valuable for getting shit done & overall morale.

Coiled03

Established Member
It's more about losing the daylight hours that are valuable for getting shit done & overall morale.

I get that. I guess I was talking more in relation to ditching time zones, and going to global time. It's really not that hard to deal with time zones, IMHO.

Users who are viewing this thread