glass roof question

Add Name Here

Hook Damn It Hook
Established Member
Does anyone currently have a GT500 with a glass roof? I see it has a retractable cover, So its like the moon roof in my prelude. Just wanted opinions. Is it literally the whole roof? Can you completly close it covering the whole interior? I think it looks nice but for $2k it seems to just be more of a "baller" option. Any info is appreciated

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
i dont have it but seen it, its the whole roof, almost. i dont like it, and it adds weight

1 Alibi 2

Veteran,...retired Navy !
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
Have the glass roof on my 2011...............best decision I made. It has a retractable shade, but I've never used it. You can't beat a glass roof for cruising, even on a cloudy day, you don't feel like you're in a cave. Think I made up for whatever the weight difference is with the wheels / tires..( 110 lbs lighter )
03-27-2011pictures008.jpg

1Jan2012PicRun028.jpg

Add Name Here

Hook Damn It Hook
Established Member
Have the glass roof on my 2011...............best decision I made. It has a retractable shade, but I've never used it. You can't beat a glass roof for cruising, even on a cloudy day, you don't feel like you're in a cave. Think I made up for whatever the weight difference is with the wheels / tires..( 110 lbs lighter )

if its not to much to ask could you take a top view and possibly and interior shot? :beer:

04MystiCobra

Tuning L&M heart
Established Member
If I were to get a 500 it would have the glass roof. Think it looks great and the weight is so small it doesn't really matter.

svtsupersnake

Banned
i am wondering for anyone who has the glass roof. How is the sound inside the car. Are the acoustics the same as shelbys without the glass roof. Since convertibles are much louder inside than a hard top so I am wondering how is it with the glass roof because i am debating whether or not to get this option.

ON D BIT

Finish First
Established Member
i dont have it but seen it, its the whole roof, almost. i dont like it, and it adds weight

Does anyone know how much weight it adds?

The aftermarket glass roof adds about 200lbs. I was talking to the Ford engineer that designed this oem glass roof and he said it adds about 20lbs. Which in itself is remarkable.

Its a great option for a cruiser/drag racer if you have the extra cash. I would order the glass way before ordering a vert. However if your road racing I am sure its not as structurally strong as the base coupe.

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
Does anyone know how much weight it adds?

The aftermarket glass roof adds about 200lbs. I was talking to the Ford engineer that designed this oem glass roof and he said it adds about 20lbs. Which in itself is remarkable.

Its a great option for a cruiser/drag racer if you have the extra cash. I would order the glass way before ordering a vert. However if your road racing I am sure its not as structurally strong as the base coupe.

thanks for the clarification!

Ry_Trapp0

Condom Model
Established Member
the "glass" roof adds 28lbs over a base coupe - not significant by any measure. if anyone is that concerned about 28lbs of additional weight, then they shouldn't be buying a heavy ass 3750+lb GT500.

Add Name Here

Hook Damn It Hook
Established Member
i am wondering for anyone who has the glass roof. How is the sound inside the car. Are the acoustics the same as shelbys without the glass roof. Since convertibles are much louder inside than a hard top so I am wondering how is it with the glass roof because i am debating whether or not to get this option.

According to the ford build and price site, the '12 Shelby glass roof has this description:

SPF 50 tint blocking 96% of UV rays, constructed of laminated safety glass with a built in polyvinyl layer, goes on to say its designed to maintain excellent acoustics and quietness........ hmmmm if its only adding ~30lbs ill have to look into this some more.

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
Mine has the glass roof option, yes, 28lbs is the correct net added weight. This my 7th mustang, 4th Cobra, all my previous have been verts. My viper is also a vert, so yes, I love verts, but I've also raced all my cars, drag and road race, so I've always dealt with cages, rollbars, stiffening, etc. The glass roof is what I waited for, and I can say IMO it's absolutely awesome. There's essentially no perf hit with it, weight, pfft, structurally and noise wise, nothing measurable. As for feel, it's great, very open air feel, I'm happy with the compromise, as is my wife, who's not a fan of the wind & noise of the verts, and if you put the windows down you get a real targa feel to it (having had a targa Porsche a few yrs ago). Below is some road racing video from in-car with mine to give you a feel, you can choose the HD version, close any ads that pop up, max on your screen and you get a real good feel of what it's like. I know it's pricey, but it was worth it to this vert guy, and I get a safer track car and less work (as in none) to make it clear tech, and IMO a better look than the current vert body, I really prefer the rear shoulder look on the stang in a coupe than a vert, so it was win-win-win for me ... but like almost everything, it's not for everyone. Have a look - oh and for fun while watching, I don't go hot til about 90 secs in, first vette snack is around 2 mins in, this car passes everything out there so enjoy, oh & somewhere around 5 mins or so I get lose @ about 140mph, I put it in slo-mo. When the track marshalls comment that I sure am agressive, I say no I'm not, I'm just not great at holding the car back. lol

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9oXPUF4kPSo"]Summit Point, WV Hotlaps 9-24-11 - YouTube[/nomedia]

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
Oh and the camera is actually mounted by suction cup to the glass roof, not quite all the way back, so yea, it's large, like the whole roof area. And great heat protection, it's not like a regular sunroof like in my wifes car where you can still feel a decent amount of sun come thru, I've never closed the shade, but if you do, unless you looked close, you'd not know the glass roof is there, a person could just think your roof is accent color black and get in without noticing ... then pull the shade back & it's really dramatic. But like I say, you have to like that open feeling, not everyone does, some people hate verts, etc.
Dave.

Add Name Here

Hook Damn It Hook
Established Member
Daffy,
Nice vid, car sounds great and I'm not gonna lie..... I'm really liking the glass roof! Thank you for the post. :beer:

Devious_Snake

PSR Major!
Established Member
video is cool and the car sounds nasty! what gear did you used the most? and i must admit the glass roof does look nice!

FoofKiller

I> /\/\
Established Member
Mine has the glass roof option, yes, 28lbs is the correct net added weight. This my 7th mustang, 4th Cobra, all my previous have been verts. My viper is also a vert, so yes, I love verts, but I've also raced all my cars, drag and road race, so I've always dealt with cages, rollbars, stiffening, etc. The glass roof is what I waited for, and I can say IMO it's absolutely awesome. There's essentially no perf hit with it, weight, pfft, structurally and noise wise, nothing measurable. As for feel, it's great, very open air feel, I'm happy with the compromise, as is my wife, who's not a fan of the wind & noise of the verts, and if you put the windows down you get a real targa feel to it (having had a targa Porsche a few yrs ago). Below is some road racing video from in-car with mine to give you a feel, you can choose the HD version, close any ads that pop up, max on your screen and you get a real good feel of what it's like. I know it's pricey, but it was worth it to this vert guy, and I get a safer track car and less work (as in none) to make it clear tech, and IMO a better look than the current vert body, I really prefer the rear shoulder look on the stang in a coupe than a vert, so it was win-win-win for me ... but like almost everything, it's not for everyone. Have a look - oh and for fun while watching, I don't go hot til about 90 secs in, first vette snack is around 2 mins in, this car passes everything out there so enjoy, oh & somewhere around 5 mins or so I get lose @ about 140mph, I put it in slo-mo. When the track marshalls comment that I sure am agressive, I say no I'm not, I'm just not great at holding the car back. lol

Summit Point, WV Hotlaps 9-24-11 - YouTube

Thank you very much for sharing that. You have sold me on the glass roof. Like you, I've always loved verts, but my wife hates the wind blowing her hair into face and all that jazz. I think the glass roof is something that she will really enjoy and my little girl too. :)

I just want to be clear though, it does have a shade you can close completely if you need to? Here in Texas during the summer months, the heat/sun is very intense and I would need to be able to shade us when it gets that hot out. :)

Daffy

My cars own me.
Established Member
Gear I use the most is 3rd, this particular track is tight and technical, it's like 20 turns in 2.2 mis. Many turns 2nd and 3rd are an option, 2nd adds fun, 3rd is definitely smoother and faster on the lap times, these cars are so predictable and fun to drive at the limit, real blast.

I have the magnaflow comp series catback on the car & yea, it's nasty for sure, if you like loud nasty, kick you in the balls exhaust roar, it's the system for you. I love it, but could be too loud for some.

Yes, there's a shade, it's nicely designed in that it's very thin and rolls completely into the roof at the back, you can pull it shut, it's not a heavy thick shade like on a traditional moonroof, but thinner than that. I've never had an issue with heat thru it here in MD.

brianz426

Established Member
Oh and the camera is actually mounted by suction cup to the glass roof, not quite all the way back, so yea, it's large, like the whole roof area. And great heat protection, it's not like a regular sunroof like in my wifes car where you can still feel a decent amount of sun come thru, I've never closed the shade, but if you do, unless you looked close, you'd not know the glass roof is there, a person could just think your roof is accent color black and get in without noticing ... then pull the shade back & it's really dramatic. But like I say, you have to like that open feeling, not everyone does, some people hate verts, etc.
Dave.

Thanks Dave,
I'll admit up until your post I never gave the glass roof a second thought, now I'm thinking it might be the only way to go.:)

Users who are viewing this thread