Girl charged with manslaughter over firends suicide

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
This guy quoted a good quote. This person could not be charged with a crime because a crime was not committed. So if suicide is illegal then could this girl have assisted in the suicide and can she be charged with a crime and will or can that crime be translated into manslaughter? I don't know the laws where this suicide happened. However this Justice left a door slightly open.

At this point suicide is no longer illegal in any state.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
I do find it funny how people say do not mix emotion with laws. They are not the same. Does anybody realize just how many laws have been created because of emotions? How many bills have been proposed and passed by victims families who if the loss of their family member never happened due to a certain event would not even care about the law being proposed. Drunk driving? Most laws have been pushed and drafted by groups such as MADD, which started out as a victim group. The brady bill which was pushed by friends and family and supporters of James Brady who was shot by Hinckley. This was due to emotions. Certain states now have bullying laws due to teens being bullied into suicide. Sexting is illegal due to victims emotional outcomes and its effects on their life and families. How many other laws do you know of that were drafted and pushed by emotional family members based on events? The law and emotions are tied together.

This thread is a good example of why that happens. People believe their non objective emotions somehow have legal significance and bearing. In this case I don't think they do. You are correct though, emotions do lead to laws sometimes.

Last edited:

Regulars520

Established Member
This thread is a good example of why that happens. People believe their non objective emotions somehow have legal significance and bearing. In this case I don't think they do. You are correct though, emotions do lead to laws sometimes.

:beer:

mnewxcv

Established Member
I totally understand the opinions going around in this thread. Some saying a text of any sort shouldnt be a crime (1st amendment, etc). But since cyber bullying is now a crime, is there a line not to cross? This is more than bullying. This is manipulation. There are clear moments in their dialogue where he wanted to talk about other things, and she brings up the suicide, making the conversation go in that direction. Crime or not, the question "Did her actions lead to his death?" is answered with a YES. And I can't understand how that SHOULDN'T be a crime, unless it had no intention (like the generic "go kill yourself" comments that are not to be taken literal). Either way, this is a good debate.

ssssnake

Established Member
I don't thinnk she'll be convicted, but it was definitely wrong. She influenced a young man who had issues. She pressured him, worked on him, told him she loved him, all so that he'd take his life. That, my friends, is an evil person. I know she won't face a legal right to this wrong, but I hope her deeds are dealt with in other ways. Am I evil in wishing that? I don't know. It just seems so wrong.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
You are interpreting what I am saying wrong. I have not said what she did is illegal or legal. I started out and said over and over I am not siding I am asking opinions. Do I understand the difference between the law and law reform. Yes.
Did we or did we not just have a gay marriage ruling that came out that legalized it nationally? Yes. Did we also have a split decision between the justices with the majority legalizing it? Yes. Did we also have a justice publically say that the only reason the law passed was because of emotion and feeling and NOT because of the law? Yes. So even the Justices who uphold the law in the highest court in our land agree and disagree that emotion can become the law? Yes. So is it safe for me to opinionate that the law is enforced by emotion at times? Yes

Chief Justice Roberts registered this strongly worded reprimand:

"If you are among the many Americans -- of whatever sexual orientation -- who favor expanding same-sex marriage, by all means celebrate today's decision. Celebrate the achievement of a desired goal. Celebrate the opportunity for a new expression of commitment to a partner. Celebrate the availability of new benefits. But do not celebrate the Constitution. It had nothing to do with it."

The Constitution is the law and only leaves room that this was a personal and emotional decision. In HIS opinion and he knows mucho more about the people he deliberated with as well as the law. So in my mind I will accept that emotion CAN become the law and be used as law.

The gay marriage ruling was another law reform. It wasn't dealing with guilt or innocence on an existing law. But we're getting way off base here.

OhIIICobra

Established Member
Earlier in the thread I said it would be interesting to see the context of the fatal exchange. Context is everything. As psycho as her message is, I figured it would not have overt malice like her going on a profanity laced hate filled tantrum.

His LOL's and LMAO at his prospective demise seems like he put plenty of the "laughter in manslaughter". I'm not convinced she wasn't manipulated to a degree by his desire to die and eventually took on a STFU and get it over with attitude while they mutually exchanged twisted "I love you's".

I seriously think this will be dismissed and the initial DA pushed for prosecution because he knew the victim and his parents. Keep in mind she was 15 when they started dating and he was a fixer upper project from the start according to early reports.

NinjaBum

Established Member
So what if there is someone on a ledge of a building/bridge and a group of people chanting jump, and he does. Are they all responsible?

My thought on it is if she was his partner she has a higher degree of influence on him than some random stranger telling you to kill yourself. He was depressed. He had tried before so she knew it was serious. She used her influence and he died when she could have used that influence and he would be alive right now. I think it could fly.

Regulars520

Established Member
The gay marriage ruling was another law reform. It wasn't dealing with guilt or innocence on an existing law. But we're getting way off base here.

The gay marriage ruling was law reform/upholding the law, but read the highlighted part. Even the Chief Justices say that the law is not always ruled by the law and emotion can and does become how the law is enforced. We are ALL human and we all have emotions. If an officer pulls you over for driving while suspended and has the option to tow you and take you into custody but does not use that option of the law because you are respectful and curtious. Now he pulls someone in the same situation and the person is mouthy and disrespectful, so he tows the car and takes the guy into custody? Why, the law is the same and says nothing about towing only mouthy peoples car. He did it because of how the person made him feel and he enforced the LAW that way. It happens every single day. The law is emotion based. I do not know how this case will go, but based on my life and seeing how emotion does play a part in our lives as human, it may not go so well for her. Or it just might.

Users who are viewing this thread