Girl charged with manslaughter over firends suicide

OhIIICobra

Established Member
"Prosecutors from the Bristol County District Attorney’s Office said Michelle Carter, 18, encouraged 18-year-old Conrad Roy to kill himself last July. They

charged her with involuntary manslaughter Friday, a charge punishable by up to 20 years in prison, MyFoxBoston reported.

Roy drove his truck to K-Mart in Fairhaven, near New Bedford, with a gas generator and took his own life. The cause was carbon monoxide poisoning.

The station cited court papers as alleging that at the K-Mart, Roy got out of his truck and texted Carter. He told her he wasn’t sure he should go through with it.

“Get back in,” she texted back, according to the court papers."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2015/02/28/girl-18-faces-manslaughter-in-friend-suicide/

Horrible behavior, complete bitch I agree...but manslaughter? Did she have an app that cranked up his generator. The girl is not a suicide hotline now the public is liable for advising lunatics who plan on offing themselves. So much for free speech.

Zemedici

Established Member

Tx5811

Veni, vidi, vici
Established Member
So if I tell someone on here to off themselves then I'm responsible? Lol

OhIIICobra

Established Member
Is the verbal equivalent of "**** off and die" now a free speech liability if the person actually dies?

Maybe they had some Romeo and Juliet shit going on and she was supportive to the end?

Maybe if they read Romeo and Juliet as part of their curriculum then William Shakespeare is to blame or the School district?

America is getting over the top ridiculous thanks to libs.

RedRocketMike

A Member Well Known
Established Member
People who think she should be charged are morons. Freedom of speech applies.

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
I think the difference is the situation. Telling someone to go kill themselves in passing vs knowing the person is attempting suicide and encouraging it. It looks like he said he would often so she might not had actually believed him. I'm on the fence, many of us have known that emo kid when they were teens.
I think they are trying to prove negligence which is "failure to act with the prudence that a reasonable person would exercise under the same circumstances".
Legally, I don't know if she should be charged depends on Mass law but not all speech is protected such as Schenck v. US.
Curious to see what a jury would think. Ultimately it's not the DA liberal or conservatives who going to determine this it's "regular" people.

Makes me think of that A Perfect Circle song:
"If you choose to pull the trigger, should your drama prove sincere,
Do it somewhere far away from here"

Last edited:

hb712

Established Member
Criminal law is not necessarily my strong suit, but I can see how this could proceed under the involuntary manslaughter charge. It's not an easy case by any means, but it may be necessary with the current culture where encouraging others to kill themselves is incredibly common.

They are not trying to prove negligence here as that would be a win for the defense. Involuntary Manslaughter is defined as: 1) An unlawful killing that was unintentionally caused as the result of wanton or reckless conduct that a defendant engaged in; or 2) An unlawful killing that resulted during the commission of a dangerous battery by a defendant. Keep in mind that the prosecution does not need to prove that the death was not unintentional, actually the prosecution just does not have to prove that the death was intentional.

So:
1. Did the girl intend to commit the act or conduct that caused the death?
2. Did the text (act) create a high degree of likelihood that serious harm would result to the other party?
3. Did the text in fact cause the death? (This is not looking for the COD (e.g., asphyxiation))

1. Yes she intended to send the text.
2. Hard standard. Does a text really create such a high degree of likelihood of serious harm?
3. Would he have gotten back in without the text? Did her text actually influence the outcome such to become the cause?

Last edited:

Black02GT

*Not 2KBlackGT
Established Member
1) An unlawful killing that was unintentionally caused as the result of wanton or reckless conduct that a defendant engaged in

I think it's how the state divides involuntary manslaughter. I was thinking criminally negligent homicide not sure all states have that or its lumped into involuntary. I don't know if she is obligated to notify authorities if she knew he was in the process of killing himself.

MystiChrome Coupe

Established Member
So what if there is someone on a ledge of a building/bridge and a group of people chanting jump, and he does. Are they all responsible?

Users who are viewing this thread