Ghost Cam Idle Tune - 2011 Mustang GT 5.0L 4V - Bama Custom Tuning Preview

Status
Not open for further replies.

stang8psi

Established Member
Thats not correct at all. Man I hate your company. Call the guys over at torq, their version is still forsale and it was home grown from their tuner. And its cheaper from them and works as advertised.

Not true Just called Torq And they are not selling this tune anymore

SVT_4_me

Established Member
an intake manifold, and stripe kit with forged pistons and soem suspension? yeaaaa thats really worth the extra 15K

im sorry but a midpipe, intake, tuned GT will wipe the floor with the boss on the straight away and throw a griggs suspenion on the GT for under 4K and youll be dancing around the Boss in the corners

and it will still be a GT and it won't be worth jack shit in 3 years.

ViciousJay

Established Member

:rollseyes Like the Gt500's are? you lose 1/3 of the value the second it gets pulled off the lot. If you buying a boss for an investment well your a sucker then. The Boss is a over glorified striped GT

Last edited:

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
Anyone looking to buy a Boss would NOT consider this a substitute. There's no way in hell they're buying the Boss just for the sound that comes with the Red key. The Boss has SOOO much more for that price tag. And the Red key is actually LESS than $400 as far as I know. I think it's only a $200 add on.

I don't think Ford has any right to try and stop the aftermarket from making these tunes unless the files were stolen from the Boss ECU and I don't believe that's the case. Nonetheless, I can see why it wouldn't be worth it for Lund to sell the tunes. He no doubt has relationships with Ford that he doesn't want to ruin.

Your right about Boss owners, they are buying the car for more than just the cammed sound. But for the sake of this thread and the discussion it still poises a reason why ford would be upset about this option being avaliable for regular GT owners. Its Fords product they built and offered to the public with warranties for their product, i think they have some say in what things are sold owners as a by-product.

an intake manifold, and stripe kit with forged pistons and soem suspension? yeaaaa thats really worth the extra 15K

im sorry but a midpipe, intake, tuned GT will wipe the floor with the boss on the straight away and throw a griggs suspenion on the GT for under 4K and youll be dancing around the Boss in the corners

I agree, this post is full of win.

This has nothing to with anything concerning this thread, and furthermore the current GT's are holding they're value quite well in an already terrible economy. Then again what car simular to the GT is worth a damn in three years anyway? BMW M3? and they paid twice as much in the first place!
To lay this to rest before this explodes into a dick tossing competition, YOUR car is worth what you say it is no matter what anyone says.

DTRAIN_WV

Established Member
If you want the loopy tune, you have to buy it from Lund and it will come on an SCT tuner. Lund is the only person offering this tune currently.

So I can't download his tune to my SCT. I have to purchase another one w/ his tune on it?

fuuuuu

ViciousJay

Established Member
just a FYI this is coming form another tuner, so it looks like the BOSS the Mighty Boss just has a little upgraded exhaust and intake manifold over the GT... the red key is for CAM TUNE or so we are led to believe and the stuff below

Yes the track key calibration will not be released until June/July only to the owner of the car. It is still waiting Federal certification. He should have the physical key already but not the calibration. My buddy who ran 11.7 stock and dyno'd like yours did on 87 octane is a Ford tech and is waiting for his track key calibration as well. From what he has been told it will not make anymore power then the stock calibration, it will just have alot of changes to idle, rev limit, tq management etc... I guess we will see.

so a slightly larger exhaust cam, stronger pistons, intake mani, suspension gets you a boss...

Last edited:

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
FULL set of cams-$1450
Boss Mani-$360-$400
Suspension(coilovers with the works)-$1500-$2000
Pistions? ive seen regular GT's make 700whp procharged with stock internals.
Realizing you just spent $11,000 for a name.....priceless :)

ViciousJay

Established Member
You guys can still get this from Torq. Gettorq.com Their tune is not from jon.

maybe hes doing you a favor but i called yesterday and he said it was on hold, no worries, since i got my altered BBR tune it feels like a RAPPED APE, cam tune or not im not swapping it out for anything.

ViciousJay

Established Member
FULL set of cams-$1450
Boss Mani-$360-$400
Suspension(coilovers with the works)-$1500-$2000
Pistions? ive seen regular GT's make 700whp procharged with stock internals.
Realizing you just spent $11,000 for a name.....priceless :)

:lol::lol::lol: :beer:

jbur074

Established Member

you forgot the super cool boss 302 seats! what you guys are failing to realize about the boss is the fact that it is a limited edition, yes with a little money our mustang gts can be faster, however in 10-15 years, our cars wont be worth anything, and the boss 302 probably wont lose much to any value. its all about the serial number that makes the boss 15k more.

ViciousJay

Established Member
you forgot the super cool boss 302 seats! what you guys are failing to realize about the boss is the fact that it is a limited edition, yes with a little money our mustang gts can be faster, however in 10-15 years, our cars wont be worth anything, and the boss 302 probably wont lose much to any value. its all about the serial number that makes the boss 15k more.

trust me if they are mass produced they WONT BE WORTH SQUAT. Even cobras values might not go up... maybe they will mayeb they wont but if you want a money car go get Cobra... Heck look at the Shelbys values... an 08 i could have gotten for 29K with 10K on the clock...

Spd2Stang

I just WOT in my pants
Established Member
what its all about the serial number that makes the boss 15k more.

So in 20 years my mint 11GT first year re-run 5.0L tastefully modded wont be worth shit?

Eh who cares i wont have the car that long anyways, ill drive the wheels off mine and save some coin in the process :coolman:

PACETTR

Established Member
You guys bashing the Boss are conveniently skewing your prices and the upgrades that the Boss offers.

So, what exactly did Ford do to make the new Boss such a dramatic improvement over the already capable GT, and even the GT500? Lots. The biggest changes are under the hood. Ford started with a standard 5.0-liter engine like you would find in any GT Mustang. But instead of going the easy route and just throwing a supercharger on it, Ford kept this engine au natural. And in keeping with the spirit of the original Boss, it made the new Boss a free-flowing, high-revving screamer.

To accomplish this, Ford completely redesigned the intake of the already potent 412 horsepower 5.0 liter engine. The new "runners-in-the-box" plenum/velocity stack combination was the first step. Ford also used a revised camshaft with a more aggressive grind, maintaining the same twin independent variable camshaft timing mechanisms found in the Mustang GT. In order to take full advantage of the new intake manifold, Ford CNC machined the entire intake, as well as the exhaust ports and combustion chambers of the aluminum heads. These modifications provide exceptional high-rpm airflow without sacrificing low-end torque.

Forged aluminum pistons and upgraded sinter-forged connecting rods were used for improved strength. A lightweight, high-rpm valvetrain was designed to provide power beyond the engine's indicated redline, while a race-spec crankshaft main and rod bearings accommodate the increased load and high engine speeds. Sodium-filled exhaust valves help reduce reciprocating weight, and an oil cooler helps keep the engine's blood from boiling. Finally, revised oil pan baffling was needed to keep the oil pumping properly during hard-cornering loads over 1.0g. The Laguna Seca edition gets a transmission scoop under the car to cool those fast-spinning gears.

The final task was making sure the new engine sounded as good as the original, so Ford created an all-new quad exhaust system. Two pipes exit in the rear, accommodating most of the exhaust gasses, just like a standard Mustang GT, but two new pipes were added almost purely for sound. The two new outlets exit to either side of the exhaust crossover, funneling exhaust through a set of metal discs that act as tuning elements.

Next, it was time to improve the suspension. The most significant change was the addition of fully adjustable shocks and struts, just like the Gabriel shocks on the original Boss 302. There are five different settings, with one being the softest, two the factory setting, and five the firmest. The adjustment screws are on the top of the shock tower found under the hood and in the trunk. The new shocks give the Boss a slight rake, lowered in the front by 0.4 inches and in the rear by 0.04 inches.

To keep up with the suspension changes, Ford retuned the speed-sensitive electronic steering system to improve feedback and driver feel. You can adjust the steering to your liking by selecting one of three settings -- comfort, normal, or sport -- through the instrument cluster menu. The Boss receives unique traction and stability settings in order to optimize street or track performance. Like the steering, there are three different settings: all systems on, all systems off, or the intermediate sport setting. The last setting lets you drive more aggressively before the TCS and ESC systems kick in.

When you give a car more power and increased handling capabilities, you have to make sure the vehicle can get the most out of its enhancements. To keep the Boss firmly planted, Ford used lightweight alloy racing wheels to reduce a little of that unsprung weight. Ford staggered the widths, with 9 inches up front and 9.5 inches out back, then wrapped them in Pirelli PZero summers, 255/40ZR-19 for the front, 285/35ZR-19 in the back. The Laguna Seca edition gets 9-inch fronts and 10-inch rears wrapped in Pirelli Corsa R-compound 255/40R-19, 285/35R-19 respectively.

To make sure the Boss will stop, Ford used the same brake system found on the Mustang GT with the optional Track Package: 14-inch Brembo four-piston front calipers, stock 11.8-inch rear. But the Boss gets high-performance brake pads and vented brake shields. To help with brake feel and provide repeatable fade-free stops, the Boss gets reinforced brake lines that expand 30-40 percent less than the GT's. As a result, Ford claims the Boss needs 3 less feet to come to a halt from 60 mph.

Inside, not much has changed, but what has is significant. The optional Recaro seats are an absolute must, even if you don't plan on doing any track days, because they are just so comfortable. And if you do hit the track, these seats will keep you from sliding around while under hard cornering. The Recaros are standard in the Laguna Seca, and while the rear seat is deleted and replaced with an X-brace for added rigidity. There is also a Boss-specific black shift knob, dark aluminum instrument panel, and door scuff plates.

The new Boss comes with not one, but two keys, one with a silver Boss logo and the other with a red Boss logo. Both get the job done, but the red key gives you something extra. Named Trackey, this special key adds TracMode powertrain control software to the car for track use, providing full race calibration and two-stage launch control in addition to stock calibration, without compromising factory warranty. It changes 300 parameters of the engine calibration, optimizing all the Boss' potential.

The exterior styling changes are subtle yet uniquely Boss. The front fascia and grille have been modified; the fog-lamp openings have been blocked off; and a new lower splitter finishes off the Boss's new nose. The Laguna Seca edition gets you an even bigger front splitter, brake-cooling ducts, and different rear wing.

Each car will have a black or white roof panel, coordinated to the side C-stripe.

All for about $10k

jbur074

Established Member
So in 20 years my mint 11GT first year re-run 5.0L tastefully modded wont be worth shit?

Eh who cares i wont have the car that long anyways, ill drive the wheels off mine and save some coin in the process :coolman:

first of all, just because your car is modded, thats already a price hit. would you want to buy a modded mustang that might mean the previous owner beat the crap out of it? or a bone stock one from an older guy that probably didnt beat on it? which would you pay more for? also, look at an 05 gt. and look how much you can get one for now. at the end of the day, your 5.0 wont be worth much in 10 years when the streets are flooded with 5.0s. theres so many retarded people thinking their buying a special edition because its a 5.0. yes it is uncommon at the moment, only because their new. in 2 years there will be more, and more to come. not saying they will be worthless, just simply stating the resale value of a boss 302 vs a mustang gt are not going to be anywhere near the same. sure the car is MASS PRODUCED. REGARDLESS. their still going to be rare in several years. look at the terminators, sure their hand built but theirs 13,000 of them. i bought mine with 20k on the clock for 20k, and sold it with 35k on it for 19,500. the sticker on the car was 30k.

going with a gt500 vs a boss would be a better buy if your looking for power, but there are WAYYYY more gt500s than there are of the boss 302s. the reason the shelby values are so much lower is simply because there are SO many.2007 10,000 gt500s built, 08 8,000 built. 09 3000, 2010 3000, and 2011 5500. thats ALOT of gt500s. where i read somewhere there are only supposed to be 8,000 boss' in the next 2 years, 900 are laguna secas and 100 of the race cars. the gt500 is lucky their value is as high as it is.
but it dosnt matter were all going to die in 2012 so forget resale value haha

Last edited:

slilock

Established Member
Yaaay, saga over! We started working on a tune based off of the parameters we had access to. When we got a value file for it and it stalled I called Jon to see if he had any idea why it was stalling and on the hunch that there may be more parameters that were missing. He confirmed and also confirmed the value file was based off of his work. Ford asked him solely to stop selling the tune, that's the end of the story.

If anyone is still selling this tune, it's a version that will have driveability problems. This is 100% why we never released it. The parameters aren't going to happen either way, at this point. Even if it were the case, we'll probably still hold off on it.

So is it Jon's tune or your own?

afro

Why?
Established Member
SO you realize ford tune the cams to make them quiet right? You realize that they are aggressive fromt eh factory right? please do some homework before spouting off rice, its a cool mod but the gas/drivability is crap

wtf?!?!?

Do you not understand how VVT works? It's clear all the tune is doing is switching to the aggressive cam profile at idle. OF COURSE Ford uses the smaller cam profile at idle and through the lower RPM ranges, that's what VVT is all about.

I'm sure you'll figure that out when you go meet the ricers at the mall in your town on Friday nights lol

Exactly! Everyone in this thread should go out and buy these instead of this 'tune'. Go get a real tune that adds power instead of psuedo-lopey idle. I'm sure the Bama guys have a power tune. Come on guys, you own a GT it's fast enough, don't need to make it 'seem' faster and if you do -- do it right. That's all I'm saying.

So, when you add an axle back to your car because you like the sound over the stock exhaust, you're bring a ricer?

Yes, if all it did was add a different sound note. How is that different than a ricer adding a big ass exhaust to a car that can't take advantage of it? However, we know this isn't true on a GT and a bigger exhaust helps the engine breath and does add power...so NO, adding a bigger exhaust is not a ricer mod. Ricer mods are labeled as mods that add something to the car to make it appear faster but in reality it isn't -- kind of like this tune. A bigger exhaust to help your engine breath isn't a ricer mod. It just has the added benefit of making it sound better (to you at least).

-fro

p.s. If you guys like this mod I'm all for you liking it and making your car more enjoyable to own/drive, just understand it's characterized as rice. If you're OK w/that you shouldn't care what I think like most ricers on the road..just saying. You can call me a hater.

Last edited:

FISHTAIL

Will Work For Mods
Established Member
Yes, if all it did was add a different sound note. How is that different than a ricer adding a big ass exhaust to a car that can't take advantage of it? However, we know this isn't true on a GT and a bigger exhaust helps the engine breath and does add power...so NO, adding a bigger exhaust is not a ricer mod. Ricer mods are labeled as mods that add something to the car to make it appear faster but in reality it isn't -- kind of like this tune. A bigger exhaust to help your engine breath isn't a ricer mod. It just has the added benefit of making it sound better (to you at least).

So everyone who bought an axle back exhaust is a ricer then I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users who are viewing this thread