get my 01 cobra N/A to 300rwhp?

svt_cobra01

Established Member
we all know they come 320 from the factory but with drivetrain loss in the 270-280 range i dont find that too fitting knowing my cobra is under 300 if dyno'd i do like too have fun with my car of course and maybe a few runs here and there, i want my cobra to basically have the real rating my car should have. not on a huge budget maybe have $1000 to work with atm but i need ideas on mods. im no expert but what can give my snake some more power to the ground for cheap?

01yellercobra

Established Member
Mine dynoed 297 with just a catted X. I would think intake, exhaust, and tune would get you there.

west08

Established Member
I think you are being pretty realistic about what your car is making rwhp. That being said, $1000 won't get you very far to get around 300+ rwhp. Others will chime in, but I think your best bet is to change the cam timing. From what I have read, it can be all over the board resulting in different cars making a 20-30 whp difference on a stock car. Other than that, the basic bolts on such as long tubes, off-road mid pipe, catback, march damper/ pullies but all those can start getting expensive.

There is a member here who always posts the member "N/A SVT" guide to make power out of a N/A DOHC engine

BigEasy

Established Member
Id start with some long tube headers, off road X pipe or high flow cats, pullies, alum drive shaft, and a good tune. Also id go with some 4:10 gears it dosnt add any HP but it will sure get off the line alot better. Stay away from the cold air intakes, bigger MAF and bigger TB they will really do you no good with just basic bolt ons.

TBCobra

Established Member
Premium Member
Beer Money Bros.
Midpipe, catback, intake and a tune should get you there. I made 312rwhp with these mods.

brucesvt

Established Member
Like others stated midpipe, catback, intake and tune. the market section has some good deals also search your local craigslist for deals to make your $1000 last. good luck

soccerman002

99 SVT Cobra
Established Member
I dynoed 292whp with just a catted x-pipe, exhaust, and JLT CAI

With longtubes and a tune, I'll clear 300whp without issue.

shurur

Established Member
General consensus for NA ~320 RWHP with 99-01 DOHC C-Head 4.6L: ~$1300
K&N filter
OEM Cams
March damper
March hydraboost and WP pulleys
Long tubes
Hi Flow Cats/Cat Delete mid-pipe
Tune (canned..more $ for real tuner tune)

360-370 RWHP: ~$1300
106100/106060 comp cams properly degreed.
short runner
Tune

This is a list I compiled based on posts by nasvt.
I posted it and got nasvt to graciously fix it.

Cost may be off a bit...and includes your free
Labor.

I was calling it "the recipe"....but it maybe should be called 'the nasvt recipe."..... But I'm not sure how he would take it....

A 90mm plastic lightning MAF, focus FP and 39# injectors might help but only after at least following the recipe to 320 rwhp.

This question gets asked almost once a week.
I learn something new each time.

shurur

Established Member
so how much do these motors benefit from a maf and bigger injectors? After doing the other mods of course...

I haven't searched/research this in order to have HP numbers for you....

Na svt would have a quick answer on this question.....I think the HP return isn't great and produces better results with a stroker/bb stroker on top of the recipe mods.

Last edited:

BigEasy

Established Member
With basic bolt ons a bigger MAF and injectors are not going to do you any good. Really a waste of money unless you plan on doing serious mods in the future! Just my 2 cents.

DC97Cobra

Established Member
Made 318/317 with JLT CAI, Steeda UD pullies, O/R x-pipe, Ford Racing M58 catback, and a tune

svt_cobra01

Established Member
wow just from a catted x pipe 297rwhp im assuming with a tune i live in cali so i must stay catted for the main reason being too loud i dont want the xtra attention from the boys, ive seen catted mid pipes for decent prices on AM i was thinking of starting with a intake and catback although i dout that will get me 300 unless tuned with those 2 mods

Users who are viewing this thread