GERD surgery

jdcobra

Established Member
So I’ve been on PPI’s for about 10 weeks now with little symptom relief. I’ve had an EGD and esophageal manometry done thus far showing motility issues and some weakening of the LES. They’ve tried every medicine they could think of including reglan with no avail.

I meet with my surgeon may 21st at Methodist here in Houston. I was looking into getting the LINX procedure and was curious if anyone on here has had it and if they’ve had any issues. Thanks

Malern28us

Established Member
Premium Member
Did you get a second opinion? From whom?
I know neither are close to you (Mayo Clinic or Cleveland Clinic) but I always tell EVERYONE to get a second opinion on what your options are.

jdcobra

Established Member
Did you get a second opinion? From whom?
I know neither are close to you (Mayo Clinic or Cleveland Clinic) but I always tell EVERYONE to get a second opinion on what your options are.

I’ve gotten a second opinion and they’ve both agreed with each other. Methodist here in Houston has a specialized reflux center that ranks top 10 in the nation. Unfortunately my insurance won’t cover it but it’s affecting my daily life pretty bad.

I’ve lost my job, had to quit school, amongst other things. I’m just one of those few that PPI’s either don’t work for, or only are semi effective. I have constant regurgitation and lost 30lbs in a month.

That’s why I was recommended to see a surgeon because all other options have failed.

jdcobra

Established Member
Roger that. I feel for you, I really do.
Just wanted to make sure you had done your due diligence. I find way to many people are to trusting.

Thanks man...it’s been pretty difficult. Oh, I’ve definitely done my research, especially if I’m having to pay cash for this whole thing.

CV355

_
Established Member
Man I am really sorry to hear that. I do know some of what you're going through, and I certainly wish you the best!

If it makes you feel any better, I worked on medical devices utilized for GERD corrective surgery (suture method)- very interesting process with relatively low risk. That was back in '08. Can't imagine how far it has come in the last 10 years. They were working on bioresorbable sutures that would "absorb" into the body rather than require removal or leave permanently- outpatient even!

jdcobra

Established Member
Thanks for the kind words guys...it’s been rough. I’m fortunate enough to not have Barrets esophagus or cancer for that matter. But it is affecting my quality of life.

Unfortunately a dose of corticosteroids for my asthma set it off back in late February...

CV355

_
Established Member
Thanks for the kind words guys...it’s been rough. I’m fortunate enough to not have Barrets esophagus or cancer for that matter. But it is affecting my quality of life.

Unfortunately a dose of corticosteroids for my asthma set it off back in late February...

But you're getting it corrected- the quality of life will improve. A few months ago I couldn't sleep for days at a time because of GERD. I know how it can be.

jdcobra

Established Member
But you're getting it corrected- the quality of life will improve. A few months ago I couldn't sleep for days at a time because of GERD. I know how it can be.

I tried everything from gluten free to an alkaline diet. :/ sorry to hear that man, hopefully you’re feeling better.

Fortunately I’m able to sleep at night and it doesn’t affect me in that aspect. Are you on meds? Apparently 3/4 of people who have asthma are susceptible to GERD and I fell in that category.

CV355

_
Established Member
I tried everything from gluten free to an alkaline diet. :/ sorry to hear that man, hopefully you’re feeling better.

Fortunately I’m able to sleep at night and it doesn’t affect me in that aspect. Are you on meds? Apparently 3/4 of people who have asthma are susceptible to GERD and I fell in that category.

Alkaline helped, ACV helped, cutting my coffee intake, not eating/drinking anything after 9pm, dropped spicy food (really hard for me), sleeping on my left side. Helped a bit overall but every now and then I wake up in pain and lose my voice for for the morning. I'm considering going a similar route to you.

Found that chocolate was a HUGE acid trigger for me. If I so much as ate an M&M within 6 hours of bed, I was in for absolutely no sleep that night

jdcobra

Established Member
You’d probably be a good candidate for it honestly. They said I was because I’m too young to be on PPI’s for a long period of time, they aren’t working, and no matter what I eat, it comes back up. When I talk to the surgeon in a few weeks I’ll let you what they say about the LINX. I’m going that route because it’s done laparoscopically and reversible if need be. Plus, if it doesn’t work they can go with a different approach.

03Sssnake

TK-421
Established Member
Fortunately you are in one of the best areas for medical treatments, the Methodist system, medical center in Houston is one of the best. Good luck and cheers to getting well soon!

jdcobra

Established Member
Fortunately you are in one of the best areas for medical treatments, the Methodist system, medical center in Houston is one of the best. Good luck and cheers to getting well soon!

Thanks! Yea I definitely lucked out there.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
I feel your pain. Problems started when I was 18 years old. Off an on for years then became a daily issue. Went through every kind of medicine available, ending with using two different types twice a day. Worked for about 6 months. Had a fundopilication (2007). Night and day difference. Suffered all those years, medicines, tests, visits. Best of luck.

jdcobra

Established Member
I feel your pain. Problems started when I was 18 years old. Off an on for years then became a daily issue. Went through every kind of medicine available, ending with using two different types twice a day. Worked for about 6 months. Had a fundopilication (2007). Night and day difference. Suffered all those years, medicines, tests, visits. Best of luck.

Glad you’re doing much better! How’s the fundiplication treating ya? I thought about going that route, but not being able to vomit or burp scares me.

MDShelby

Established Member
Premium Member
Glad you’re doing much better! How’s the fundiplication treating ya? I thought about going that route, but not being able to vomit or burp scares me.
Still good. When I tell people that I can't vomit they start walking away gagging... Not been an issue except once after a surgery. Not easy, but doable.

jdcobra

Established Member
Lol, idk. They may recommend that for me so it all depends. I’m down for whatever gets me feeling better to be honest so we shall wait and see I guess.

Kind of amazing how far medicine has come.

Sinister04L

RIP Kane
Established Member
I had GERD bad for a while but was able to correct it with diet and medicine. It was rough for awhile so I feel your pain. Best of luck with the surgery.

jdcobra

Established Member
I had GERD bad for a while but was able to correct it with diet and medicine. It was rough for awhile so I feel your pain. Best of luck with the surgery.

Thanks! I’m glad you’re feeling better. Unfortunately I’m in that small percentile where meds only half way work.

Users who are viewing this thread