Generation Crybaby

Rct851

Established Member
Surely this argument has been going on before any of us and will continue long after we're gone.

Would it blow anyone's mind if I said I'm striving to be in a position where I don't work for shit but still make a lot of cash? Isn't that the goal? I really don care if I worked harder than the next guy if I'm getting paid. It's up to "the system" to weed me out if that's not good enough.

Much rather spend my time trying to rail on my dirtbike or smoke down my mustang tires than spend 70 hours a week being stressed out at my day job. Am I wrong for that?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
Lets see, calling a member of the staff a "Twatwaffle" is a infraction waiting to happen. Anything you would like to say in your defense?

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
I have plenty of examples.

Back in your day, you could get a well paying middle class job at the local Ford or GM plant. You had a union protecting your rights and you were well compensated.
You could support a family of 4 on one income.
You could invest your earnings in a stock market that was relatively stable.
You could go to college or not go to college, and make a good living. A college degree was not a requirement. If you did go to college, it didn't take a lifetime of debt to obtain it.

Today, a college degree is almost always a requirement for an entry-level position... if a position is even available.
This is the first generation to ever get out of HS or college and not have jobs waiting for them.
Millennials saw the stock market plunge in 1999-2000 during the dot com bubble. They saw it happen again in 2008 when investment bankers ruined the economy. It's no wonder that millennials don't want to invest in the stock market -- they've seen people get burned too many times. Today, you need 2 incomes to support a family.

I get so irked when I hear baby boomers suggest we should "just get a job!" because it doesn't work like that anymore. I can't walk down to the steel mill and get a well paying union job. There are two classes of jobs these days -- skilled and unskilled. Either you're a cashier at Home Depot or an engineer with a college degree. (I'm obviously generalizing, but you get the idea).

I hear what you're saying but... dump the cellphone, cable, computer, internet, and $50k truck and I bet it's possible to live off one income. Life is now full of a bunch of shit we don't actually need. People were happier with simpler shit back in the day. It's not an exact one for one trade off, but it would be interesting to see what the monthly salary requirement would be if we dumped a lot of shit out of our lives. The only thing that would really stay the same would be the cost of a house. Electricity would even go down. I have at least 15 things on my home network at any given time. Imagine the electricity and heat load of just those 15 things. I grew up reading books and had maybe 5 tv channels...and only one TV. I'm only 47.

Drive XR7

NE Ohio's Fastest
Established Member
I hear what you're saying but... dump the cellphone, cable, computer, internet, and $50k truck and I bet it's possible to live off one income. Life is now full of a bunch of shit we don't actually need. People were happier with simpler shit back in the day. It's not an exact one for one trade off, but it would be interesting to see what the monthly salary requirement would be if we dumped a lot of shit out of our lives. The only thing that would really stay the same would be the cost of a house. Electricity would even go down. I have at least 15 things on my home network at any given time. Imagine the electricity and heat load of just those 15 things. I grew up reading books and had maybe 5 tv channels...and only one TV. I'm only 47.

Good points. When I was young we never had cable and as a kid I made a fuss about it. And now today I don't have cable for the same reasons my parents didn't. Pretty funny.

Rct851

Established Member
I didn't grow up hungry but I didn't have a computer or internet in high school. I graduated in 07' so this is fairly recent. It got kinda old being given homework assignments that completely relied upon and assumed you had the Internet. or course it's easy to say just go to the library or what have you, but of course the people with no internet don't have vehicles to get to and from the library.

Point being a lot of hose expenses you listed are necessary

STAMPEDE3

SAULS BROTHER
Super Moderator
Agreed,
$180/Mo cell bill
$180-200/mo cable bill.
Cars are crazy expensive.

But, This everyone needs to go to college is crazy.
We are so hurting for welders in this area they are paying crazy money. The average welder I see is well into his 40s.
No one in the younger generation wants to do any type of labor anymore.
As said, plumbers, electricians and A/C guys also in demand.

Sirraf

Established Member
Agreed,
$180/Mo cell bill
$180-200/mo cable bill.

We are so hurting for welders in this area they are paying crazy money. The average welder I see is well into his 40s.

Industrial maintenance techs are making money hand over fist...usually more than engineers.

Vigilante

Established Member
I'm a Millennial, but I don't fall into any of those categories.

I am looking to change jobs in this shit economy, so if anyone needs a computer tech in Tucson I am available for hire! I'll work my ass off to prove it too!

FIVEHOE

Established Member
I'm a Millennial, but I don't fall into any of those categories.

I am looking to change jobs in this shit economy, so if anyone needs a computer tech in Tucson I am available for hire! I'll work my ass off to prove it too!

I'm a millennial too, but I personally think the whole "This generation is lazier than us" is stupid, as you can find lazy people in any generation...

But my company just fired another fellow millennial with a terrible work ethic (he took a significant pay cut after getting fired from old job and was clearly here for the paycheck and thought all the work was beneath him and was late all the time and stayed late solely just to rack in OT). It sucks you aren't living in Tempe as I would tell you to apply. I convinced my boss that willingness to learn is more important than prior experience for this position (IT support), so we are looking for someone with a good work ethic.

04YellowGT

Established Member
ege degree was not a requirement. If you did go to college, it didn't take a lifetime of debt to obtain it.

Today, a college degree is almost always a requirement for an entry-level position... if a position is even available.
This is the first generation to ever get out of HS or college and not have jobs waiting for them.
Millennials saw the stock market plunge in 1999-2000 during the dot com bubble. They saw it happen again in 2008 when investment bankers ruined the economy. It's no wonder that millennials don't want to invest in the stock market -- they've seen people get burned too many times. Today, you need 2 incomes to support a family.

I get so irked when I hear baby boomers suggest we should "just get a job!" because it doesn't work like that anymore. I can't walk down to the steel mill and get a well paying union job. There are two classes of jobs these days -- skilled and unskilled. Either you're a cashier at Home Depot or an engineer with a college degree. (I'm obviously generalizing, but you get the idea).

Sorry but basically everything you said is just BS excuses that my generation make. Many of my friends make the same excuses and it drives me nuts. I graduated HS is 2007 so I fall right into the Millennial Generation.

Depending on what job you are trying to get you don't need a college degree. Manual labor doesn't require a degree and you can make decent money depending what you do and if you are good at it. If you are a hard worker and know your stuff you can move up to a supervisor pretty quickly. Been there done that. Its not the most respected job but it is a job that pays. You’re not going to get handed a great paying cushy job without experience and the right background. You might have to sweep the floors making $9.00 and work your way up but you can get there. The problem is people want things now and can’t comprehend having to prove your self to get there. They think it’s easier to get the free government cheese today so no one puts any effort into their entry level job. In turn management doesn’t see them as fit to move up in the company.

Not sure about your area but there were tons of open jobs when I graduated and three still are tons of jobs out there and many places are having trouble filling the positions. People either can’t pass a drug test or they point out because they can’t show up to work on time or at all for that matter. I get on line and look and there are hundreds if not thousands of jobs open in a 50 mile radius ranging from entry to senior level positions. I worked in a factory and was hired almost on the spot right out of high school. After I graduated college I had two job offers without even trying. If you present yourself well its not hard to get a job.

As far as investing and saving most people today don't save anything either because they can't afford to save which is BS or because of the excuse you made which is BS. I've played the stock market and have done well. Its been proven over and over that if you invest conservatively you will make money in the long run. There were some people that were in high risk at an age when they shouldn't have been and they got burned back in 2000 and 2007. More often than not you stick with a conservative plan you will retire ahead.

I make decent money but compared to some on here I'm probably pretty low on the totem poll. Yet I save for retirement and have an emergency fund. I'm also paying for my wife to go to college with no student loans. I have a mortgage and car payment also. I would say with all that it would be equivalent to a family of four. How do I do it? My wife and I live with in our means with a budget for everything and we SAVE FIRST. If it means we eat ramen for a week that's what it means. (I did that when I was younger.) We don’t have the newest Iphone, we don’t go out to eat every day, we don’t go out to the bars, we don’t but new clothes all the time and when we do we don’t buy high dollar clothes. Lastly we don’t live on credit cards. If I can’t pay for it in cash then I wait till I can. I’m not going to pay 15%-20% interest so I can get something I don’t NEED but WANT right now when I can save up for a few months and then buy it. We don’t live for today like most people do and we think about tomorrow. I hear people my age and older bitching about not being able to afford things or not being able to save money but they piss money away constantly on everything I listed above and then some. I saved up to make a down payment on a house instead of renting a small shitty apartment that costs more than my house payment. These same people talk about wanting a house but instead of saving up to get out of the apartment, they buy a new TV and a new car and continue to go out to eat constantly.

Its not as hard as people make it seem. It takes discipline, a good work ethic and time.

MovingZen

And I'm on my way!
Established Member
Good points. When I was young we never had cable and as a kid I made a fuss about it. And now today I don't have cable for the same reasons my parents didn't. Pretty funny.
All bs aside, I'm glad we have two incomes in our household.

I didn't grow up hungry but I didn't have a computer or internet in high school. I graduated in 07' so this is fairly recent. It got kinda old being given homework assignments that completely relied upon and assumed you had the Internet. or course it's easy to say just go to the library or what have you, but of course the people with no internet don't have vehicles to get to and from the library.

Point being a lot of hose expenses you listed are necessary
They can also be cut down. A $300 laptop and the free wifi that's all over the place is an easy alternative to $30, $60, $120 a month internet cost. An HD antenna is $50? I'm not sure what a land line costs, but it can't be as much as a Verizon account. A $10k car loan for 4 years is less than $250 a month. Total that out and you can save more than $500 a month which could be half a house payment.
I think part of the problem may be that some people want to live at a level that entry level jobs are not meant to sustain. People have a tendency to expect way too much. People have to be willing to start low, work hard, and move up the ladder. You don't just get to jump into the high life out of school. It doesn't work that way.
My first car I paid $1400 dollars for, my second car was $3600. I started driving in 1984 and the first new car I ever bought for myself? It's in my signature. I'll probably sell it in the spring because as much as I love the car it's as bad as an illegal drug. I'll go back to my 14 year old truck.

lowflyn

Found my 03sbvert...
Established Member
There are plenty of jobs that pay well for someone that is willing to learn. A good friend of mine just got a job as an electrician at a power plant. He talked to people and did alot of studying and is now making $29/hour with guaranteed ot and quarterly raises. High school diploma only.

Another friend got hired on the railroad on the track crew and worked his way up to conductor. 6 figures with no college.

I hire on people at low wages (10-11/hr) with the understanding they can be at 15/hr within 6 months if they are willing to work. For this part of the country that is not bad money, cost of living is very low. In the last 4 years I've had nobody last long enough to reach $15/hr.

My wife and I lived off of $10.5/hr 1 job for over a year. She was taking classes, we owned 4 vehicles and were able to pay all of our bills. It's really not that difficult.

MPM IV

Established Member
Name me a trade where you can walk in off the street and make good money with no skills. Stripping?

Military

Agreed,
$180/Mo cell bill
$180-200/mo cable bill.

I have internet, but no cable bill. I don't feel like I'm missing out.
My cell phone bill is $85 a month for two phones, and that's Verizon, not some no name company.
I realize people pay the amounts you listed regularly, but it isn't required.

Kiohtee

Established Member
My generation, for the most part, completely sucks as human beings. I'm legitimately afraid of the America my kid(s) will have to grow up in.

I used to couldn't hold a job, was lazy beyond belief, etc. But then one day I just snapped out of it. I've been with my current employer now for almost two years, am closing on our first house this Friday, have a baby on the way, a great savings and emergency fund and two really nice cars. And a '96 GT. :lol1:

This entitlement and 'the world is against me' BS needs to stop. Nobody in this world owes you jack. And you won't get it either, unless you're a sue happy pansy who lucks into the right situation. But I guess that's the difference of people like my wife and I and the 20-25+ year old's still living with mommy and daddy but driving brand new vehicles.

They want the life of their mom and dad, grandparents, etc. but don't want to have to work for it like they did for some 20+ years.

VerySneaky

Bug Annihilator
Established Member
This. I can't believe all these articles blaming millennials for the way they act, but they learned it from their never-had-to-struggle baby boomer parents. The writers of these articles are almost always baby boomers who can't stand the next generation. This pattern has been going on for a long time. Older generation thinks the next generation doesn't know how to work hard or do anything.

Adapt to work with the latest generation or you'll be quickly shown the door. It's not slowing down. Millennials will run the world some day.

So much this.

This article is such bullshit and fails to recognize that it's the parents of these millenials that failed to put a boot in their child's ass and is now wondering why their kid is such a ****ing pansy beta.

Also, the reason so many of us are still at home is because shit is so much more expensive than it was 50 years ago when the boomers and X had to go through it. College tuition is 500% more than what it was 20 years ago. Unless you have parents to pay for it, you're stuck with a mounting debt the second you finish your education (granted some pukes shouldn't be getting college degrees for picking flowers and writing poems). You could rent a place with some bros, but even renting is expensive because the mortgages that renters are paying on are under water hardcore because they bought it when the market was high before it tanked.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread