Gear opinion

cobra916

Established Member
Well I have 3.73's in my cobra with a v spec trans and a budy of mine has 4.30's with with 3650 in his Mach. Both cars have the same bolt ons excpt I have longtubes and both cars run close.

can you elaborate on that? from a dig??roll??

cobralove90

Established Member
yea i hate the 4.10 i had 3.27 in my 04gt nd another friend with 4.10's both had catback and i hate the bbk intake on mine and he didnt, but from a dig he would get me by a car but then top end id kill, and from a roll it would be even untill he had to shift, but now my 03 has 3:55 and i race a cobra with 4.10, same shit all over again

Brutal Metal

Established Member
yea i hate the 4.10 i had 3.27 in my 04gt nd another friend with 4.10's both had catback and i hate the bbk intake on mine and he didnt, but from a dig he would get me by a car but then top end id kill, and from a roll it would be even untill he had to shift, but now my 03 has 3:55 and i race a cobra with 4.10, same shit all over again

Does anyone understand this??:shrug:

K2AHollywood

Established Member
dig?roll?more info please

Ummm both?? I dont know what more info I can give you man - think it was pretty straight forward. Basically the two gears are super close, like whatever you gain on accel with the 4.10s will be quickly negated by the higher end of the 3.73s. They are essential even gears its just about where you see the pulling power of the gear and as everyone else said your set-up and power levels will matter even more. Its not as simple as choosing a single cookie cutter gear ratio

MickeyD

Established Member
I am considering what gears to go with myself and the big question I have is what RPM and gear are people going through the 1/4 mile traps at? I almost feel like if you go too with a 4.30 you'll have to be shifting into 4th to cross the traps. Wouldn't that extra shift negate some of the gains you would get from the different gears then say staying with one where you can pull 3rd out to 7K?

not trying to hijack i think this is something to consider when changing gears and might help other

cobra916

Established Member
Ummm both?? I dont know what more info I can give you man - think it was pretty straight forward. Basically the two gears are super close, like whatever you gain on accel with the 4.10s will be quickly negated by the higher end of the 3.73s. They are essential even gears its just about where you see the pulling power of the gear and as everyone else said your set-up and power levels will matter even more. Its not as simple as choosing a single cookie cutter gear ratio

okay how about you start a roll in second that is (okay) for both cars.. at the end of 4th what car will be ahead?

zPipes

Established Member
Each will end 4th at different times. But I would say that the bar with 4.10's will reach the end of 4th first.. and should be the winner of the race. However if the race continues he will have some trouble because he would have to go to 5th while Mr. 3.73 is still rockin his hp in the high rpm range of 4th.

Hence why he said that with the taller the gear, the lower the top end you have.. you just run out of gear. 4.56??? sure you would rip through those gears fast as hell and be in your powerband the whole time.. but your hurtin at 120...

cobra916

Established Member
Each will end 4th at different times. But I would say that the bar with 4.10's will reach the end of 4th first.. and should be the winner of the race. However if the race continues he will have some trouble because he would have to go to 5th while Mr. 3.73 is still rockin his hp in the high rpm range of 4th.

Hence why he said that with the taller the gear, the lower the top end you have.. you just run out of gear. 4.56??? sure you would rip through those gears fast as hell and be in your powerband the whole time.. but your hurtin at 120...

botha i get that..but i would like some info from someone with real world experience.. if our cars held on to power better topend or had peak power at a higher rpm.. there would be no question what geared car would win..but throwing in to factor our cars make peak power at 62ish,rev to 7k, and by changing to lower gears you lose mph traveled in each gear..(spread is shorter in each gear) changes what car will win..

Users who are viewing this thread