gates hd green vs rpm belt?

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
I just switched form a regular gates belt to a gates rpm. I can say belt dust is down, in return throttle response seems faster. But other things could play into that.

1 thing is the 30$ gates belt the 60$ gates hd belt and the 100$ gates rpm belt all need different tensions to be happy. Like 70%,50%,30%

venom1997

Screwed by the Twins
Established Member
I just switched form a regular gates belt to a gates rpm. I can say belt dust is down, in return throttle response seems faster. But other things could play into that.

1 thing is the 30$ gates belt the 60$ gates hd belt and the 100$ gates rpm belt all need different tensions to be happy. Like 70%,50%,30%

Ok sonwith the green belt I have now is super tight on the tensioner like 80% so with the rpm I’d have to have a longer belt then to bring the tensioner to the 30% load? I don’t have a adjustable tensioner so it’s belt length dependent

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Yes, the RPM belts do not like high tension. I snapped one on a 3/4 power shift, green never did that.
-J

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
Ok sonwith the green belt I have now is super tight on the tensioner like 80% so with the rpm I’d have to have a longer belt then to bring the tensioner to the 30% load? I don’t have a adjustable tensioner so it’s belt length dependent

I don't have an adjustable tensioner either. So I just tried some basic thinking. So on my 4.0 pulley with a gates k080785 was close to 50%. A gates k080774 was at 80% or so with the 3.5 pulley. So I picked up the Gates rpm k080780 after thinking about lengths of belts and where the tensioner would be at. But yeah it is Belt length dependent for sure.

fyi: the belts I had are all newer so weren't stretched out over use. Don't know how much that has to do with it but thought I would mention it.

Last edited:

biminiLX

never stock
Established Member
Premium Member
Is that how you calculate belt tension?
I've never looked into that, but just installed an adjustable AR tensioner in place of a Thumpr (GT500 application)
-J

ShootyMCstabby

Brownie Hound.
Established Member
Is that how you calculate belt tension?
I've never looked into that, but just installed an adjustable AR tensioner in place of a Thumpr (GT500 application)
-J

No. Just giving an idea of where it puts the tensioner from 1 particular belt to another. I would say 70% luck and 30% calculation for me buying the right set up the 1st time.

Having the 4.0 pulley and belt knowing where that puts the tensioner, compared to the 3.5 pulley, belt and tensioner. Made the decision a little easier.

Users who are viewing this thread