Garrett single Turbo

CPRsm

No need to have some crazy 80mm or bigger 1.44 AR to make power or run a #.
It's all relative, don't get hung up too much on the numbers. They are not always equal. The AR housings the OP listed are split scroll. Less volume internally for the same AR than a .96 open scroll that PTE runs. So the Garrett 1.10-1.44 AR is more comparable in overall flow and velocity.
There's nothing wrong with a larger 80mm turbine. Two turbos kits done differently. One has more preturbine volume and a smaller turbine. Other use less preturbine volume and a larger turbine. Running larger turbine does not automatically mean slower spool unless they are compared in the same kit.

The 7685 would prob produce 1600whp if maxxed out.
Not on your life!! Lol

Last edited:

D.T.R

Established Member
I find it VERY hard to find turbo people not be a little fanboi for the brand of turbos they like... I'm a precision fanboi, no problem admitting here, but i wouldn't mind running a Garrett or BW turbo either. I think either of those 3 brands have a turbo for any of your needs... 600, 1000, 1500whp+, etc.

Eric@jpc

Established Member
I find it VERY hard to find turbo people not be a little fanboi for the brand of turbos they like... I'm a precision fanboi, no problem admitting here, but i wouldn't mind running a Garrett or BW turbo either. I think either of those 3 brands have a turbo for any of your needs... 600, 1000, 1500whp+, etc.

They are all great!!

Most of them all offer something a little different to suit your needs.

We are dealers for all 3 so i dont hate on any of them

poof100

Established Member

+1 on this and Agree totally. While I run the PTE 76 now, if I do wind up running Coyote Modified, we will run a Bullseye BW Turbo, so they are all nice units.

Aaron@JPCRacing

Established Member
That's still a far cry from 1600rwhp lol

If we through the magnum t56 back in it we wouldn't be far off. We're by no means "maxed out" on the turbo when we went 7.8's

This is true but we try to stay open minded. We've built cars here with almost every brand of turbocharger on the market.

Comp / Precision / Borg / Bullseye / Garret

Last edited:

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
It's all relative, don't get hung up too much on the numbers. They are not always equal. The AR housings the OP listed are split scroll. Less volume internally for the same AR than a .96 open scroll that PTE runs. So the Garrett 1.10-1.44 AR is more comparable in overall flow and velocity.
There's nothing wrong with a larger 80mm turbine. Two turbos kits done differently. One has more preturbine volume and a smaller turbine. Other use less preturbine volume and a larger turbine. Running larger turbine does not automatically mean slower spool unless they are compared in the same kit.

Not on your life!! Lol

Dustin, we make about 1500whp on a 2.0L on a 7285. SpeedFactory, in your neck of the woods, went 7.9 on a 7685, also on a 2.0L.

A 7685 at 45 psi on a 5.0L engine would most certainly make 1600whp.

Precision turbos make the most power above everything else when compared to turbos of the same size. Their wheel design is better than everyone else's. That's a fact. BUT they are super expensive and not reliable. I'm sure I can make the same power on twin BB 6262's as I can on twin GTX3076's, but it may require another 1.5-2 psi. Precision turbos are great for race cars competing in classes that restrict turbo size. The 6785 (cut down 7685) made over 1000whp at <30 psi on a 2.0L on our dyno as well. No 67mm turbo in the class competes with the 6785, but then again it's double the price of the Borg.

For Mustang guys, it doesn't make sense to specifically use precision over anything else because the same power CAN be made on other turbos, it just may require a tad more boost. I'm willing to bet anything that at the SAME boost, and the SAME wheel and housing size, precision will make more power than anyone else. That being said, Precision doesn't have an 80mm turbine so unfortunately I can't prove it Dustin. ;-)

Deespeed99

Established Member
Dustin, we make about 1500whp on a 2.0L on a 7285. SpeedFactory, in your neck of the woods, went 7.9 on a 7685, also on a 2.0L.

Precision turbos make the most power above everything else when compared to turbos of the same size. Their wheel design is better than everyone else's. That's a fact. BUT they are super expensive and not reliable. I'm sure I can make the same power on twin BB 6262's as I can on twin GTX3076's, but it may require another 1.5-2 psi. Precision turbos are great for race cars competing in classes that restrict turbo size. The 6785 (cut down 7685) made over 1000whp at <30 psi on a 2.0L on our dyno as well. No 67mm turbo in the class competes with the 6785, but then again it's double the price of the Borg.

For Mustang guys, it doesn't make sense to specifically use precision over anything else because the same power CAN be made on other turbos, it just may require a tad more boost. I'm willing to bet anything that at the SAME boost, and the SAME wheel and housing size, precision will make more power than anyone else. That being said, Precision doesn't have an 80mm turbine so unfortunately I can't prove it Dustin. ;-)

You are comparing a much smaller engine and 4 cylinder at that. The same turbo will never perform the same when comparing it on a 4 cyl to a V8. I made 652 on my hayabusa with a GT4088, put that on a coyote and you would barely make 550-600. Smaller engines always perform better with a turbo of the same size. You should know this....

CPRsm

It would never reach 45psi. Dasan pretty much nailed it. 1500rwhp on a 2.0l will have the same back pressure within reason as a coyote at 1500rwhp with that turbo. IF the coyote could make 1500rwhp the boost would be AT LEAST half. Back pressure realistically would be 90psi. The 2.0L taking 65psi and the coyote taking probably 30-35. Back pressure ratio for the import isn't too bad. But it's 3-1 for the coyote. It would stock making power before it got to the 3-1 ratio all but guaranteed. Larger engine always needs more turbine for the same HP level.

Ehhhh, just depends. I've seen testing where a cast garret makes more than a pte billet. Some designs are better at certain pressure ratios and lb/min ratings at the same size. A lot of compressors are designed for smaller engines. And you can have two TOTALLY different maps on two turbos of the same size.

I think I'd take that bet lol. But on a mph pass on the same car. Some of the stuff we're using now shows a loss on the dyno w the cover modifications compared to a stock cover. At the track mph it showed 100rwhp+ increase despite dynoing lower than the stock cover. But that's all assuming the other turbo made it past the dyno session before giving up the ghost. Been there done that. Shots fired lol

StevenStarke

Established Member
Ok. EMAP may keep you from making 1600. I get that. But my point was that the compressor isn't holding you back. Put a single 7691 on and it will make 1600. How's that, lol.

StevenStarke

Established Member
Ill add this too. You run twin 60mm gametes with wastegate position sensors and I bet you can dump off the excess Emap without losing too much exhaust flow. It just needs a good wastegate route design and MAYBE C02 to the top of the gates to keep them in position. Obv you'd need a compensation map using Emap and wastegate position to control the Co2. I think it could be done.

CPRsm

I'd drop a nut if it could. Excluding nitrous or highly oxygenated fuel. At some point the 76 is going to stop moving mass regardless of pressure.

StevenStarke

Established Member
I'd drop a nut if it could. Excluding nitrous or highly oxygenated fuel. At some point the 76 is going to stop moving mass regardless of pressure.

The prob is getting the air out. If you solve that problem, there's no reason the 76mm compressor can't make more boost. If we can make 65-70 psi on a Honda when back pressure isn't an issue, why can't we dump off the excess Emap just enough to put the right amount of exhaust to hit the turbine the same as it does on a 2.0?

CPRsm

Not quite. Eventually it will stop moving mass because it's too inefficient. When that happens there won't be enough drive pressure and the turbo rpm will just stall and stop increasing in boost.
65-70psi on a 2.0l is in a much different place that a coyote would be. 2.0L will be high and to the right, which is how the map usually grow. The coyote will move more mass at a lower pressure ratio and never climb in pressure fast enough to keep on the map. This is all assuming like you said, you don't run out of turbine first.

D.T.R

Established Member
^ i don't think mine will pick up 50mph on the back half, given that is still a street car with power-everything, power sunroof, etc... but 40mph should be accomplished here shortly lol. It's so different than rwd... yet both are fun. We gotta double sometime triple the amount of boost to make the power v8s make on 3 times less boost lol... can you say hand granade? lol

Users who are viewing this thread