Garrett single Turbo

JP0814GT

Established Member
Anyone ever look into this turbo?
GTX 4202R T4 A/R 1.01
Looks pretty good to me but I'm trying to find a horse power rating for it?

JP0814GT

Established Member
Ok that seems comparable to a Precision 7675 CIA but Precision rates it at 1200 hp from comparing specs i was thinking the GTX 4202R T4 1.01 would have more hp capability. But who knows Garrett may rate things more conservative.

CPRsm

They make nice turbos. That one is a little to the right on the map w lower boost levels in the 66%ish range on 15 psi. Garrett turbos seems to have better flowing compressors compared to their turbines. This one looks to the be the same. On that AR it looks like the hotside will only flow just shy of 800. The 1.44 AR for that turbo shows about 900hp capable.

JP0814GT

Established Member
Cool im trying to walk the line between a precision 7675 CIA and a 7685 CIA
I'm going to be running ported heads and comp billet turbo grind cams so spool should be helped with that the 7675 spools nicely even with journal bearing on a stock top end motor. So I'm trying to cheat a little and look for a slightly larger turbo but maybe go ball bearing to keep spool lively. Digging for that happy medium if i can gain a little more efficiency and capability it would be nice.
If precision made a 76/80 Cia it would be about right with the correct a/r

Last edited:

CPRsm

Definitely go larger turbine. A more efficient engine out grows the same turbine faster. HP will produce the same back pressure. When an engine becomes more efficient is needs less boost for the same HP. When back pressure stays the same and boost goes down this puts your back pressure rationout of whack sooner and boost to HP depreciates much faster. That's why imports run a turbo we think is puny, but they can make 150 more HP with it than we can. Think of a coyote as a 6.0l when trying to judge things like this. Will put them into better perspective.

Last edited:

JP0814GT

Established Member
It would nice to have all i can get up top with a good responsive balance on bottom end. I still don't like the lack of response i had with my Paxton but do recall my PD blowers in past being fun but over top on responsiveness once pullied for high boost now if i can achieve the happy medium between those two extremes with a turbo i will be one happy camper..

Last edited:

JP0814GT

Established Member
Hey Arron it's Jamie - Yep i may have all i need with the 7675 cia that I'm planned for at the moment just researching to see if their is a available turbo comparable in quality and mounting as a PTE 7675 cia but that has a touch more in the turbo up top without sacrificing much on the bottom rpm range. You guys at JPC/RGR are building my motor etc already.
Just digging around to see if there are any tweaks i may want to do while doing the build.
I'm very impressed with how the PTE 7675 is performing with the Jpc kits I've seen out there even with stock heads & cams their doing really well.

Last edited:

CPRsm

Subbed for this... Need to learn more on my turbo options.. You guys at CPR are running a 7675 right?
Nah, the smallest we run is a 76/80. We can go up to an 84/88.
All the turbos sizes are interchangeable. If you get a 76/80 and decide to get crazy later you can send in your turbo for upgrades. Or sell it and buy the bigger version, either will bolt back into place without fab

That GT42 is a different frame turbo than the PTE 76/75. Not a direct swap. The PTE 76/85 is the same frame, but don't know if it's a direct swap.

JP0814GT

Established Member
Does the GT42 have billet wheel? I seen its ball bearing but the power rating on the 76/80 gt42 seems lower for the size but i don't know much about this turbo stuff so don't know if i can trust the ratings i see.

Eric@jpc

Established Member
Does the GT42 have billet wheel? I seen its ball bearing but the power rating on the 76/80 gt42 seems lower for the size but i don't know much about this turbo stuff so don't know if i can trust the ratings i see.

GTX4202 is billet wheel ball bearing

76/85 is of the GT42 Family

JP0814GT

Established Member
Ohh ok the GT42 & GTX4202R are same family duh I'm slooowly catching on. Lol

Last edited:

StevenStarke

Fast/Reliable/Cheap pick2
Established Member
Ohh ok the GT42 & GTX4202R are same family duh I'm slooowly catching on. Lol

The X signifies Billet.

the 7675 does come GT42 style from precision as well, it's about $400 more than the std one.

Last edited:

Eric@jpc

Established Member
The X signifies Ball bearing.

the 7675 does come GT42 style from precision as well, it's about $400 more than the std one.

the import dude has to come set us all straight :shrug:

:lol:

H covers and GT covers lets not even talk about ported covers and stuff

Hell im still learning every day

I thought the GT based 75 (turbine) was only a 71 compressor and its big money cause a ball bearing.

CPRsm

I thought the GT based 75 (turbine) was only a 71 compressor and its big money cause a ball bearing.
For PTE it is. The 76/85 is the same way. Totally different frame turbo, but same compressor. They only offer in BB so it's a 3500 dollar turbo last time I looked. 76/85 might have been a touch cheaper. Been a while since I looked.

StevenStarke

Established Member
GT42 style just means you get that cover and backplate. Precision bangs you over the head because they have to buy the cover an plate from garret

StevenStarke

Established Member

Meant to write billet instead of ball bearing regarding the x, edited it now, lol

Users who are viewing this thread