Garbage disposals

VegasMichael

Established Member
Mine finally crapped out after 16 years--which I heard is actually a good run.

Anyway, the one I have is corded but most for sale are non-corded. Can you replace a corded with a non-corded?

Also, is it a pain in the butt to replace by myself or pretty straight forward?

03cobra#694

Good Guy
Super Moderator
The only pain in the ass I've had with going from brand to brand was the location of the port for the dishwasher discharge.
That’s true, also in the same brand of a different size you may need to do some plumbing. I’d grab a basic disposal kit with all the different fittings just in case. Cheap as heck, and that thin pipe cuts easily.

TAF

Trilogy Twin Screwed #004
Established Member
OP...buy THIS ONE...and don't look back, You can feed it broken glass...

1652135890462.png

VegasMichael

Established Member
Thanks, gents. Another question: What about horsepower? I've seen one-third, one-half, five-eighths, three-fourths and one. I live alone so it doesn't get a whole lot of use. Basically just dinner plate residue remaining after I scraped most of it into the trash can.

FJohnny

Established Member
I live alone so it doesn't get a whole lot of use. Basically just dinner plate residue remaining after I scraped most of it into the trash can.
Unfortunate timing for you.

With your usage it sounds like you could remove the fancy muffler and just run straight pipes.

I'm assuming this is in the house you are selling. Probably most important to just have a disposal unit rather than which one. Hopefully you can measure flange to flange and get a direct bolt on replacement requiring no pipe mods.

EatonEggbeater

You tried to rob WHAT?
Established Member
Get a similar model and install it yourself. Do a Youtube look.

As written, you can easily change the cord, and all Kitchen Aid upper level disposers use the same mounting. All you need to do is use a pair of screwdrivers to rotate the old body unlocking it from the flange. It'll drop unexpectedly and crash onto the cabinet knocking your beer over. There are 3 holes in the lower flange that take a Phillips driver pretty well. You can likely leave (and use) the old mounting in the sink.

Use a stack of books to support the new one (you could've done this with the old one, but didn't think of it in time) and a lever of some kind to lift the new one into place. Rotate the body flange the other way to lift and lock the new device into place while using the lever to hold the body in contact.

Do not forget to knock out the DW drain before you install, and you're supposed to orient the hot and neutral of the cord a certain way, although I don't think it matters.

VegasMichael

Established Member
Unfortunate timing for you.

With your usage it sounds like you could remove the fancy muffler and just run straight pipes.

I'm assuming this is in the house you are selling. Probably most important to just have a disposal unit rather than which one. Hopefully you can measure flange to flange and get a direct bolt on replacement requiring no pipe mods.
Yeah. This housing market bubble might be cooked. I re-listed the house last Thursday and have not had one single inquiry. It's priced below the other homes in my zip code too.

Users who are viewing this thread