GA sheriff purchases a hellcat as a "work vehicle"

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
https://jalopnik.com/the-department-of-justice-is-mad-at-a-georgia-sheriff-f-1827733699

The U.S. Department of Justice is demanding Georgia Sheriff Butch Conway reimburse $70,000 for his purchase of a 707 horsepower Dodge Charger Hellcat, which has been deemed too “extravagant” of a purchase.

Sheriff Conway’s office paid $69,258 for the Hellcat back in April. The purchase was made with asset forfeiture funds and was initially approved by the Department of Justice under its “equitable sharing program,” according to The Atlanta Journal-Constitution.

Here’s the department’s reasoning, via the Journal-Constitution:

Guidelines prohibit “the use of equitably shared funds for extravagant expenditures,” the DOJ’s letter, dated July 10, said. “The vehicle in question is a high-performance vehicle not typically purchased as part of a traditional fleet of law enforcement vehicles.”

The department was also suspicious of the Hellcat’s described use as Sheriff Conway’s personal car coming to and from work, and for undercover and covert operations.

But the Gwinnett County Sheriff doesn’t agree with the Department of Justice and has defended the purchase. Here’s more from the Journal-Constitution:

Conway, who has been sheriff since 1996, is standing behind the purchase.

“Sheriff Conway maintains that this vehicle is an appropriate purchase, especially for an agency with a $92 million budget and the opportunity this vehicle provides in making our roadways safer,” Deputy Shannon Volkodav, a sheriff’s office spokeswoman, said in a written statement, according to The Atlanta H.

[...]

The sheriff’s Hellcat application touted the high-powered vehicle’s potential use in Gwinnett County’s Beat the Heat program, a nonprofit that uses drag races in controlled environments to “educate drivers about the dangers of distracted driving and illegal street racing.”

Regardless, county officials have agreed to reimburse the Department of Justice for the vehicle and will introduce new reviews in the equipment acquisition process. The deadline is July 31, and the sheriff offices’s forfeiture funding has been frozen until the reimbursement is made.

Ethical issues of a program that uses asset forfeiture funding to assist taxpayer money for equipment acquisitions aside, it’s hilarious that the Sheriff’s main defense for buying himself a Hellcat to drive around in is that the Department of Justice has too much money to care. Must be nice.

coposrv

Established Member
Equipped police cruisers aren’t much cheaper than 70k as it is. Not a horrible over spend but it doesn’t look too great.

Sent from my iPhone using svtperformance.com

Blk04L

. . .
Established Member
Premium Member
The department was also suspicious of the Hellcat’s described use as Sheriff Conway’s personal car coming to and from work, and for undercover and covert operations.

LOL. Buys himself a Hellcat and probably used it to bait people into street racing while driving to work.

DaleM

ATACMS changing the game!
Established Member
SVTP OG 4 Life
What level did this purchase get approved at? The release of money from the feds usually gets approved by someone controlling the purse strings at finance and budget.

SID297

OWNER/ADMIN
Administrator
IIRK, they have had that Beat the Heat program for years. They sponsor nights at a local drag strip where you can come out and race the cops.

I find it laughable that a $70,000 Dodge is extravagant, but the Horry county cops have this:

54ab117857683.image.jpg

That thing probably costs more than $70,000 a year in maintenance costs, but it is the safest thing to be driving during Mustang Week. They say is it for disaster/hurricane relief, but I think a couple $8,000 deuce&halfs would do even better.

SHOdown220

Established Member
I've seen several s550 5.0 police vehicles usually while I'm at bike week and they are directing traffic in/out of the dealers. Would be sweet to drive that every day for work. Reminds me of the z28 camaro trooper cars we used to have. Back in the day our sheriff got away with a 96 impala SS as his cop car/personal car

coposrv

Established Member
Does the $70k Hellcat come complete with cop equipment or is that extra? How about gas mileage?
I’m surprised he can use it as a personal vehicle. All my cop friends except for a trooper don’t take cars home. I also doubt its equipped as a patrol vehicle but it doesn’t seem to be fully needed in this case. The Gas mileage I’m sure isn’t great but I think we’re starting to split hairs here. I’m for less government spending and waste but let’s pick our battles.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Mojo88

"Hammer" Time
Established Member
I'm all for having a 'reasonable' amount of policing, but nowadays it's starting to feel like the police force is morphing into a paramilitary occupying force, using oppressive laws (like forfeiture) and excessive taxes to support/enrich themselves while they flaunt their authority over the common man.

RedVenom48

Let's go Brandon!
Established Member
IIRK, they have had that Beat the Heat program for years. They sponsor nights at a local drag strip where you can come out and race the cops.

I find it laughable that a $70,000 Dodge is extravagant, but the Horry county cops have this:

View attachment 1502955

That thing probably costs more than $70,000 a year in maintenance costs, but it is the safest thing to be driving during Mustang Week. They say is it for disaster/hurricane relief, but I think a couple $8,000 deuce&halfs would do even better.
lol, no local police dept needs a damn MRAP. I can see these being in state National Guard depots for riot control.

As for the Hellcat, its a bit ridiculous but if they put undercover lights on it and use it as a pursuit/bait car it snot all that ridiculous.

Hell, AZ highway patrol uses seized cars all the time. Ive seen a yellow S550 GT, a few SRTs and Ive even heard them use a damn work truck complete with ladder rack and ladder!

mc01svt

100% full natty brah
Established Member
I'm all for having a 'reasonable' amount of policing, but nowadays it's starting to feel like the police force is morphing into a paramilitary occupying force, using oppressive laws (like forfeiture) and excessive taxes to support/enrich themselves while they flaunt their authority over the common man.

civil asset forfeiture is super shady and i have my doubts about the legality of it all. Its definitely something that needs to be addressed. Not everyone with cash on hand is a criminal.

DAVESVT2000

Established Member
My brother lives down there, I remember visiting him a few times and he took my by the sheriff’s office, one year there was a row of Z28s instead of regular Camaros.

One year a row of Impala SS’ instead of regular caprice.

One year a row of Mercury Marauders instead of crown Vic’s.

Each year All decked out with lights, roof lights, door decals, etc.

Guy definitely has taste when it comes to police cars.

lilcoop03

Established Member

View attachment 1502955

Its probably the only thing they feel safe in lol I went to MB for the 4th this year and it was a complete shit show there. I stayed at the Patricia Grand and someone got stabbed there during my stay. Some fight or something happened at Broadway while we were out at dinner that night and our waitress told us it was an active shooter and hostage situation. LOL Thankfully that was just BS I guess but the locals don't seemed too phased by it

jaxbusa

Established Member
IMG_0868.JPG

What’s upsetting is that a lot of police officers are underpaid. Imagine getting paid crap and driving your bucket Toyota Camry home to your single wide trailer while some bastard buys a Hellcat to drive to and from work.

Sent from my iPhone using the svtperformance.com mobile app

Users who are viewing this thread