Full 3 inch system

GodStang

Established Member
I've got a built shortblock and stage 3 cams.

Anyone with any recorded gains besides that one hearsay account?

Yes there has been many recorded gains at the track/dyno on higher hp cars when going from 2.5" to 3".

Nickerz

wh1plsh
Established Member
Yes there has been many recorded gains at the track/dyno on higher hp cars when going from 2.5" to 3".

Plans have been set in motion :banana: Honestly I would much rather pick up 30-50rwhp by exhaust rather than boost. Keep cylinder pressure down :shrug:

Besides, I'm sick of my cams hiding behind my exhaust setup! :burn:

Nickerz

wh1plsh
Established Member
Vader, any chance you can post a video with your stainless works setup running around? I keep seeing your car OVER and OVER! No matter what I'm looking to do you've done it :lol:

Just messaged behind bars for a fuel system quote for either later in summer or for next summer for the E85 switch. And checking the 3" exhaust threads, and the cam'd exhaust threads you're popping up too!

And you're only a hop skip and a jump away. I have a feeling I might be taking a trip down to an SVT Chicago meet. :beer:

GodStang

Established Member
Plans have been set in motion :banana: Honestly I would much rather pick up 30-50rwhp by exhaust rather than boost. Keep cylinder pressure down :shrug:

Besides, I'm sick of my cams hiding behind my exhaust setup! :burn:

I am in the same boat as you man!

Nickerz

wh1plsh
Established Member
I am in the same boat as you man!

I've been listening to clips nonstop for like the last week. Here's what I'm finding out so far.

LTs seem to be more cam friendly than Midlengths. Since the sound doesn't have to hit an additional wall causing reflection and reducing the separation of the exhaust notes.

Prochambers seem to give the best cam sound besides the H pipe if you still want to retain some\most of that x-pipe scream. As an added benefit the prochamber seems to provide almost NO crackling, backfires or raspyness... EVEN with a loudmouth setup.

If you don't want to run a bullet\resonator type setup, flowmasters seem to be OK and stainless works seem to be OK as well as far as muffler setups go. Bassani and Steeda (quiet borla) will hide them for sure. I'm not sure about MAC, and the new JBA evol seems to have a very Flowmasterish sound to it.

If you don't mind, or prefer to run dumps, that seems to really make the car sound a lot more aggressive. Thing is we're used to hearing that cam sound from cars that for the most part are dumped. Drag cars. So that's why the dumped cam cars have that sound, well because they are cammed and dumped cars.

Anyways.

I found a clip with an 01 Cobra running XR1s and that muffler screamed. So I'm thinking of doing a 3" LT, 3" prochamber, 3" XR1 setup. However, I'm not sure if I'm going to lose ground clearance with the LTs, so I'm going to have to find some places that stock what I have now, and the LTs and have them measure.

If that all goes to plan I'll probably have that on by the end of summer with some clips. Because honestly its a damn shame the car is cam'd and you really can't tell at all. I'm really getting sick of people telling me the car is a sleeper. Some guys like that, I don't. I want the car to announce its presence.

So yeah, that's my recommendation if you have problems hearing the cams.

vadorsnake04

Established Member
Vader, any chance you can post a video with your stainless works setup running around? I keep seeing your car OVER and OVER! No matter what I'm looking to do you've done it :lol:

Just messaged behind bars for a fuel system quote for either later in summer or for next summer for the E85 switch. And checking the 3" exhaust threads, and the cam'd exhaust threads you're popping up too!

And you're only a hop skip and a jump away. I have a feeling I might be taking a trip down to an SVT Chicago meet. :beer:

sorry i do not have any video's of it driving around. Lol at no matter what you look for i have done it, it is sad because you are right haha!

Nickerz

wh1plsh
Established Member
sorry i do not have any video's of it driving around. Lol at no matter what you look for i have done it, it is sad because you are right haha!
I was talking to deans performance the other day and your car came up lol. All good things about deans? Supposed to drip the car off next week to go e85.

bbk03gt24

Established Member
Kooks already makes a full 3" catted setup including mid-pipe, I'm pretty sure ARH does as well.

why go with a 3" x pipe over a 2.5"? I'm curious as to the differences between the two. I know that the 3" catback has fitment issues and all; is a little bit deeper/louder; and is good for only when ur going over 600 hp, but what about the 3" x pipe? I think that the below vid with a 3" x pipe and Mac 2.5" catback sounds amazing - this is the set up that i plan on going with:

Kenne Bell 2.2L 03 Cobra w/ Kooks Longtube Headers - Car Videos on StreetFire

what's the differences between a 2.5" and 3" x pipe tho? why go w/ the 3" over the 2.5"?

GodStang

Established Member
why go with a 3" x pipe over a 2.5"? I'm curious as to the differences between the two. I know that the 3" catback has fitment issues and all; is a little bit deeper/louder; and is good for only when ur going over 600 hp, but what about the 3" x pipe? I think that the below vid with a 3" x pipe and Mac 2.5" catback sounds amazing - this is the set up that i plan on going with:

Kenne Bell 2.2L 03 Cobra w/ Kooks Longtube Headers - Car Videos on StreetFire

what's the differences between a 2.5" and 3" x pipe tho? why go w/ the 3" over the 2.5"?

3" is for people making real power. The 2.5" because a restriction at around 600rwhp. Exhaust is not just about sound.

broke7

Stock IRS Guru
Established Member
I need to take my measily MAC 1-5/8th LT's off and 2.5" Xpipe with 2.5" Bullets dumped off then.....Might be time to step up to some "big" exhaust and make some real power.

Here is what it sounds like....
[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cZ9LkCyVU20&feature=channel_video_title"]YouTube - ‪03 Cobra -- 6spd- IRS - KB 2.8 -- 9.82@139‬‏[/nomedia]

JPB

On jack stands
Established Member
After exchanging some pm's with Vadorsnake04 and listening to his exhaust clips. I went with the stainless works 3" mufflers. I still have to do something with my mid pipe and cat back. I'm switching to SRA so the 3" mac IRS cat back I bought isn't even going on the car. I also wanted the borla XR-1 mufflers but man they are too expensive for me.

JPB

On jack stands
Established Member
I need to take my measily MAC 1-5/8th LT's off and 2.5" Xpipe with 2.5" Bullets dumped off then.....Might be time to step up to some "big" exhaust and make some real power.

Here is what it sounds like....
YouTube - ‪03 Cobra -- 6spd- IRS - KB 2.8 -- 9.82@139‬‏

The 1 5/8 LT's can still make 800 whp. The collectors are 3" that have a reduced 2.5" ball flange on them. For now I'm just cutting the 2.5" flanges off mine and welding on 3" flanges. My theory in this is F8LSNKE (Larry) runs 144mph with stock manifolds. Of course he is lightened up but he is making 701 rwhp with the stock manifolds on 22psi. Was that video with the 2.5" exhaust? You've got it flying. :beer:

mach1033

Established Member
I noticed that Borla sells a 3 inch 5ft stainless tube. I'm thinking maybe I will buy those and have a shop bend them to our specs. I'm even considering buying the 3 inch XR-1's and trying them out. Hmmm?

Last edited:

mach1033

Established Member
Ok here is what I decided to do. Being that my motor is taking longer to build than I thought it would it gave me some time to think more about my exhaust. I am going to piece together a magnaflow 3 inch and a borla 3 inch. Now I already have what I need for the magnaflow's as you know. My next step will be getting the 3 inch XR'1's along with there 3 inch stainless tubing which has to be bent and then finally borla slanted tips. Then once my motor is done and tuned I will install the cat backs and decide which one sounds the best. I will post a video of both and get some of your guy's opinions. Once I decide which ones to keep on then maybe I will sell the other cat back.

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
Ok here is what I decided to do. Being that my motor is taking longer to build than I thought it would it gave me some time to think more about my exhaust. I am going to piece together a magnaflow 3 inch and a borla 3 inch. Now I already have what I need for the magnaflow's as you know. My next step will be getting the 3 inch XR'1's along with there 3 inch stainless tubing which has to be bent and then finally borla slanted tips. Then once my motor is done and tuned I will install the cat backs and decide which one sounds the best. I will post a video of both and get some of your guy's opinions. Once I decide which ones to keep on then maybe I will sell the other cat back.

you're having a hard time deciding too i see! I settled on going with the stainless works 3" catback. kooks 1 3/4 lts, 3 " offroad X, and SWs......i was able to get just the catback!

mach1033

Established Member
you're having a hard time deciding too i see! I settled on going with the stainless works 3" catback. kooks 1 3/4 lts, 3 " offroad X, and SWs......i was able to get just the catback!

Thats what happens when I have all this time to think lol.

Teej281

Established Member
No-no...

:nono:

Unless you have someone that can bend the tubing with a mandrel bending machine, dont do it! You dont want your tail pipes crush bent! That would be a huge eye sore and inhibit the flow. See if borla will make you one. I know Magnaflow makes a 3" IRS catback now, so might want to look into that as well. Just giving you a heads up.

skaarew04SVT

Not quite fast enough
Established Member
:nono:

Unless you have someone that can bend the tubing with a mandrel bending machine, dont do it! You dont want your tail pipes crush bent! That would be a huge eye sore and inhibit the flow. See if borla will make you one. I know Magnaflow makes a 3" IRS catback now, so might want to look into that as well. Just giving you a heads up.

i havent seen where a 3" Magnaflow will be available for the 03-04s. Saw on magnaflows site for the GTs / Mach1, but not the cobras.

Users who are viewing this thread